Controlling smells - outside the grow area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling smells - outside the grow area

Actually, I had two questions - does anyone recommend a brand for controlling scents outside the grow area - i have two air filters inside that run, but for when using bud or those times when I have the grow area open for a while - I'm wondering about that. They are still in veg state but already getting quite aromatic. Some sort of whole room filter that I could turn on to cut it down somewhat. Also one that I could blow smoke towards when indulging.

Next question is related - how stinky does it tend to get outside a (household-sized) grow that's in a greenhouse w/ vents, etc.? Is it something you can still smell yards away, or something you have to get pretty close to before you smell it from outside?

You could pull one of the filters and fan outta your tent and stand it onna coffee table. And a vented greenhouse in flower? you could smell it on the highway going by in your car.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just what PRIMO, said.

I had a charcoal filter that was restrictive on my fan and removed it and made a simple air dump box with fabric softeners. Warm exhuast air dumps into box across fabric softeners releasing the scent into the room and house. The house smells like a laundry. Works for me. Outside, open air grow with spacing is a key to odor control . Mix of bug controlling ornimentals around some plants, some controled honey suckle etc.
    Green house I would call condensed, thats hard to conseal

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMO View Post
      You could pull one of the filters and fan outta your tent and stand it onna coffee table. And a vented greenhouse in flower? you could smell it on the highway going by in your car.
      Yeah, I kind of figured that. We would sometimes take walks near a grow house - I have no idea how many plants they had in the rental - but you could smell it from several football fields away. I don't think they were doing anything at all to filter it. Again, just a guess.

When it comes to the filter, I was kind of looking at something that might blend in a bit more, rather than something that looks and sounds like a jet engine. My filters make a *lot* of white noise, even in the cabinet.

Comment

Ona products? Not into the tent! )) ozone generator? I use Ona around the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by Colombo View Post
          I had a charcoal filter that was restrictive on my fan and removed it and made a simple air dump box with fabric softeners. Warm exhuast air dumps into box across fabric softeners releasing the scent into the room and house. The house smells like a laundry. Works for me. Outside, open air grow with spacing is a key to odor control . Mix of bug controlling ornimentals around some plants, some controled honey suckle etc.

Okay, I may try the fabric softener - I'm also wondering if I have complete negative flow - I may try plugging up a few of the intakes as well as making a sort of sploof for one or both of the output of the filters. It's a metal cabinet, so I'm not sure if I can (easily) add duct(s) to the out...

Comment

Originally posted by jackhoffa View Post
            Actually, I had two questions - does anyone recommend a brand for controlling scents outside the grow area - i have two air filters inside that run, but for when using bud or those times when I have the grow area open for a while - I'm wondering about that. They are still in veg state but already getting quite aromatic. Some sort of whole room filter that I could turn on to cut it down somewhat. Also one that I could blow smoke towards when indulging.

Next question is related - how stinky does it tend to get outside a (household-sized) grow that's in a greenhouse w/ vents, etc.? Is it something you can still smell yards away, or something you have to get pretty close to before you smell it from outside?

About the only device that will completely remove the odor without pulling any chemicals into the air is an electrostatic air cleaner, a common brand that you might want to look into is Oreck.

Comment

Just keep a fan in your room and your tent is going to suck up and filter out the room smell in no time. I keep a large dehumidifier set on air circulation alone in my room and it goes away in 15 minutes. But if I leave that one off it takes much longer to get the smell out.

Comment

Hey jackhoffa, hope all is well ! How did you make out with the ordor control? My wife complained I was using to many fabric softeners so she bought me Black Ice car air fresheners. Work even better LOL.
                Good Growing !

Comment

Hey jackhoffa, hope all is well ! How did you make out with the ordor control? My wife complained I was using to many fabric softeners so she bought me Black Ice car air fresheners. Work even better LOL.
                  Good Growing !
                  The wife here complained about dryer sheets and how they may be linked to cancer - and that was before I even opened the box! I was surprised how strong-smelling Bounce sheets can be - my truck still smells of them, even though I just had them in there from the store to the house. So I haven't used them yet. The box is still unopened.

I did buy one of those household air filters with carbon filter supposedly in it, and put it next to cabinet. I'm thinking that one is not doing much. I'm also looking around for any leaks that may be around the fan exit points. This is the Supercloset metal cabinet, and I'm thinking it's not entirely flush and/or there may be another mount point there with a small bit of opening there - on both sides, so I was covering those up with Gorilla tape.

Also, just tonight I re-found this link (I read it before, and yet forgot some of the info there - *smacks forehead*) - the pic of air filter they said doesn't do much looks a lot what I bought, actually. *groan*

What's that smell? Have you ever been standing somewhere with no one around, and you catch a hint of marijuana smell in the breeze? Even if you couldn’t spot the source, you wouldn’t doubt what your nose told you.

Going to try ona gel and the fan/filter combo they linked to on Amazon. I may continue to look for any more leaks with gorilla tape - pretty sure I saw light leak that may be adding to the problem, but phone rang or something and I have yet to get back there again - I'm thinking the cabinet is not sealed everywhere it should be? I'm not in flower yet, and with two carbon filters in cabinet, you'd think there would be no smell if it was properly flowing. I did reach out to supercloset.com to ask about suggestions about how to mount any replacement filters/ducting on there, as well. It's only faint smell right now w/o doors open, but I can only imagine it will increase by a lot as I approach harvest. I wish I knew others in area that had cabinet/tent to see how it compares. Maybe my nose and the wife's are more sensitive than most.

Comment

Originally posted by getrag View Post
                    Just keep a fan in your room and your tent is going to suck up and filter out the room smell in no time. I keep a large dehumidifier set on air circulation alone in my room and it goes away in 15 minutes. But if I leave that one off it takes much longer to get the smell out.
                    Do you mean a fan to circulate air around the tent/cabinet?

Comment

Also - honey suckle? Will that grow in a greenhouse? I remember growing up in Eastern US it grew in the wild all over the place where there was not forest, but I didn't know anyone cultivating it. What an interesting idea. I live in Colorado now, so I'm not sure it will work here or not. But I used to love coming across a huge thicket of the stuff - it smells and tastes quite good.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X