Trying to make better butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to make better butter

I'm going to be making some more butter this weekend and I'm looking for tips that might help me improve the quality of my butter. Last time I ended up with pretty good butter strength wise but it had a strong aftertaste that I'd like to avoid if possible.

Last time I simply put about 1oz of ground up bud, 2lbs of unsalted butter, and some water into a crockpot, on low for 24 hours. I then poured the mixture through a couple layers of cheesecloth into molds.

Since then I've had some people recommend baking my ground bud in the oven before hand. Is that really going to help draw out more THC from the bud into the butter if I'm using a crockpot?

Also, I'm planning on using 4 layers of cheesecloth this time to help keep more plant material out of the butter but any other recommendations that could help me improve my butter would be greatly appreciated.

This is the cheesecloth I'm using.

decarbing does wonders.also can shorten crock time. kinda standard is 1 ounce to 1 pound of butter,but if you were happy at that strength thats cool too.

Comment

My wife can't handle the taste of weed. So what I do is lightly boil my decarbed flower in water for 10 or 15 mins. Drain the water and repeat this process 3 or 4 times till your water is clear. Then make your butter as normal. Pretty much zero weed taste. Butter is very light in color too.

Comment

I also use at least 1oz of dried bud per lb of butter. I prefer my butter a bit on the stronger side

Comment

Originally posted by SirSmksAlot View Post
          My wife can't handle the taste of weed. So what I do is lightly boil my decarbed flower in water for 10 or 15 mins. Drain the water and repeat this process 3 or 4 times till your water is clear. Then make your butter as normal. Pretty much zero weed taste. Butter is very light in color too.
          How do you usually decarb? I was only told a couple hours in the oven at 200-250 degrees. Boiling it and draining the water doesn't reduce the potency?

I did 1 ounce to 2 pound mostly because it was my first time and it was taking me forever to grind up enough weed to hit 1 oz on the scale so I basically said "well this is good enough". I certainly wouldn't mind doing 2 ounces, but I need to make sure I reduce or eliminate the after taste as much as possible.

Comment

2 hrs isn't necessary. I put my roughly chopped bud on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in the oven preheated to 240 for half hr. And I haven't found it to reduce potency at all. Thc isn't water soluble so it just stays on the bud till you infuse it with the butter. I honestly couldn't taste anything weed aftertaste at all. At first I tried to just steep the weed it hot water a few times but the taste was always there. So I tried boiling it and it worked very well. If you're nervous about losing potency just try it with a small batch and see what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Comment

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out for you!

Comment

Here is my way of making cannabutter. First, decarb the product. Then make a double boiler that you can fit a lid on. It is like melting chocolate. Do that for 4-5 hrs and don't let the butter go past 80deg C. It sounds crazy, but the flavour will be outta this world. For the first few hours you are only going to smell that old, boring green smell. I don't know what happens next, but the smell and taste change after 3 hrs or so, now being a sweet nutty smell and taste.

Very hard to describe it, but believe me it is true. And I used trimmings, not buds. IMHO buds would taste even better. Make it into something with chocolate, because that flavour you worked on needs something to compliment it, and chocolate is by far the best. Taste like roasted almonds dipped in chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSmksAlot View Post
                    2 hrs isn't necessary. I put my roughly chopped bud on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in the oven preheated to 240 for half hr. And I haven't found it to reduce potency at all. Thc isn't water soluble so it just stays on the bud till you infuse it with the butter. I honestly couldn't taste anything weed aftertaste at all. At first I tried to just steep the weed it hot water a few times but the taste was always there. So I tried boiling it and it worked very well. If you're nervous about losing potency just try it with a small batch and see what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
                    I had a follow up question, is the water you drain from the bud useful for anything?

Comment

That I'm not sure about. I tried making a tea from my first rinse once but it was really bitter and made my stomach turn a bit. I don't think it'll get you high though. But if it's the taste that you're trying to get rid of, you might have a hard time getting it down. There might be some medical benifits but you'd have to do some research. I personally just toss it.

Comment

Bake 1oz 20-30 minutes in oven 200* remove to Medium sauce pan filled 3/4 with water, add 1 lb butter and bring to light boil then back off to high simmer for 4 hrs. Let pan cool and butter will settle on top. Put pan in freezer for 15 minutes. Butter freezes before water. Remove butter as solid block. Discard rest. This is from a family friend who makes it for health reasons. Crones. She does not filter as the weed settles to bottom of pan. Hope this is helpful
                        Last edited by Colombo; 02-02-2019, 01:01 AM. Reason: added content

Comment

• Baron164
                          Baron164 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That certainly sounds like it would be quicker, how is the taste?

• Colombo
                          Colombo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I reached out to a Family friend in Fla. when I saw the post. I haven't had any as she lives in FLA. She said she has been making it quite awhile this way. Never said anything about taste. I could reach out to her and find out. Stay tuned!

• Colombo
                          Colombo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Text her and she stated that it has a light earthy taste and uses it for cooking and baking and muffins. She also stated that a friend of hers who also makes it adds cinnamon to half the completed butter for corn muffins and toast. Sounds good!

I've heard adding lecithin helps bond the cannabinoids to the oil. Magic Butter has this info

Stop spending so much on edibles! Make your own herb butter at home with our MagicalButter tips and resources. Learn to make herbal butter with us.
                        complete beginner
                        39" x 39" x 78" tent
                        315 Watt CMH
                        4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
                        Automatic top feed into coco.
                        Mega Crop nutes

Comment

I thought I'd update this thread as I just baked a fresh batch of cookies with my latest batch of butter. Short story, the quality has been vastly improved.

Baking and then boiling the ground bud a few times before putting it all in the crockpot definitely helped. I used twice as much bud (2oz) as last time and not only is the aftertaste almost completely gone, but the potency has also been substantially increased. So thank you everyone for your tips.

Comment

• Colombo
                            Colombo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you ever try it with cinnamon, give a post it supposed to be good. Glad it worked out ! Good Growing !!

You're very welcome. I'm glad it worked for you

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X