My soil killing my seeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My soil killing my seeds?

I successfully germinated a seed and planted it in some soil i had laying around for 6 months and a week later there was no additional growth. I found the soil had some bugs in it and now I'm assuming other stuff. I bought new soil and tried again and the same exact thing happened. Digging around I found that soil had bugs also and seeing how the supplier had it stored outside I can assume again other nasty stuff. So I'm assuming whatever is in this soil is eating or killing my little ladys before they even get a chance to start growing. Now I'm starting to realize with all my very rookie experience that I should probably be taking steps to make my soil "sterile" before I plant my seedlings?? Should I put my soil in the oven and heat it to a temp of say 165 deg F for 30 mins? I didnt have this problem on my first run but the soil I got was stored inside. On another note I was not "PH'ing" my distilled water down to @ 6.5 either so I'm wondering it that could have killed my seedling as well?

As others would say pictures are worth a thousand words if you have some. The best part is learning from mistakes! Two of the main things you mentioned old bag of soil and your first grow soil different. The other PH. Look for vacuum sealed bags if available of organic soil and add extra perlite 1/2 bag perlite to 1 bag organic soil (without added nutrients) Mix real good. After you have started your seeds at what growth rate/stage are they at when you try to transplant? Days, weeks and how big a cup are you starting in? And the killer, how much water? The good news is its all correctable, one step at a time! I here Fox Farm a lot here FX14000 Ph controlled used, it's a good start.

Comment

What brand bagged soil? Stuff like rapid grow is not a good soil for MJ,,,, the timed release of N,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by dhoyt1234 View Post
        I successfully germinated a seed and planted it in some soil i had laying around for 6 months and a week later there was no additional growth. I found the soil had some bugs in it and now I'm assuming other stuff. I bought new soil and tried again and the same exact thing happened. Digging around I found that soil had bugs also and seeing how the supplier had it stored outside I can assume again other nasty stuff. So I'm assuming whatever is in this soil is eating or killing my little ladys before they even get a chance to start growing. Now I'm starting to realize with all my very rookie experience that I should probably be taking steps to make my soil "sterile" before I plant my seedlings?? Should I put my soil in the oven and heat it to a temp of say 165 deg F for 30 mins? I didnt have this problem on my first run but the soil I got was stored inside. On another note I was not "PH'ing" my distilled water down to @ 6.5 either so I'm wondering it that could have killed my seedling as well?
        who did you get your beans from don't buy your shit from those guys in Europe they suck stick to America. The Euro who think they're all that and high-and-mighty with her lousy ass stealth shipping which isn't worth a shit they sell old beans that are probably older than than my grandmother and she's been dead for 40 years

Comment

I got my seeds from seed man and my first grow started off as well as my first could. The first grow was with Fox Far Ocean the second was Fox Farm Original. So My first grow I put one seed in a cup of water and it popped, I put in soil and it grew. Second time not at lucky and I didnt get a seed to pop till about the fourth which I then just put in soil like before and it never continued growing. The third time, again seed in a cup of water it popped, put in my newly purchased soil and again it never continued growing. I'm thinking it has to be contaminated soil and/or I was dumb and didn't PH my water. This was all in a small pint sized container and I was watering daily which was probably also to much but its not like the seedling grew and got bigger and died, they would look exactly the same as when I put them in and we are talking 2 weeks later so.

Comment

• Colombo
            Colombo commented
            Editing a comment
            Get a small bag of potting soil. get a pasta drain and sift the potting soil to rid it of the added nutes and large debree. put the sifted soil into large solo cups with holes punched into the bottom sides. Start you seed in a wet paper towel in a warm dark place. when the seed cracks open, make a 1/2" depression in the soil in the cups, put the seed in tap root down cover lightly add 2 shot glasses of warm water and put in sunny window. water only with shot glass. as it increases in size go to 2 shots. when the plant is about 3-4" in hight with a nice set of leaves, transplant to your grow pots then water and feed them lightly ( homemade grow mix, organic "dirt" 1part, Pete moss 1 part, Perlite 1 part, mix real good and add to your grow pots. The rest is PH. nutes, and water. You can also start a seed right in the solocups in a sunny window.
            As they would say back in the day, KEEP ON TRUCKING!

I recently killed a small clone with some old FFOF added to plain potting soil in a moment of stupidity when I ran out. I'm pretty sure the added soil is what did it--I've found that some batches of FFOF can have weird PH swings when it sits too long (this bag was about 6 months old and sitting open so could have gotten contaminated).
          ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

I can see sifting the soil and I will probably try that but could there also be bacteria or pathogens in the soil other then the tiny bugs I have seen that could be harming the seedlings? I don't want to keep buying soil I wanted to find a way to "sterilize" what I have. I have read about other people, growing vegetables and such, heating up their soil to kill whatever is in it. Has anybody gone to these lengths and have a suggestions? I'm running out of seeds and time so I want to get it right here soon otherwise it will be a while before I get another chance.

Comment

• Colombo
              Colombo commented
              Editing a comment
              For the loss you have incurred trying to save the soil you could have bought a new bag. But If you are insistent on that soil, from some research I found get yourself an aluminum pan for a turkey and add water to your soil so it is wet (not soaking) and put it in the pan and cover with foil. Punch a few holes to let steam release. Put the pan on your grill and grill for about 1 hr at 150* no more than 180*. This will kill any eggs, larve, mites etc. Do not heat above 180* as this could cause a breakdown in the soil hazardous to the plants. Good luck, hope this helps!

Definitely Ph balance your water. Especially for seeds or starts. Some water can also be high in mineral content. Do you have TDS and Ph meters?
            General Hydropnics says if your TDS reading on clean water is over 70 that it can be a problem.

Do you live in an area with hard water?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X