Just received a gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received a gift

So I go visit my wife on her break at work tonight, like I do every night. But tonight was different lol. Apparently she's been talking with her boss about my grows and making edibles and what not. Up until a few months ago (when weed became legal) everything that concerned weed was kept secret. We had no idea that her boss was into it at all. Anyway, when I walked in tonight I was presented a jar with a bag and an envelope inside. He told me to open it. Not having any idea what it could possibly be I was pretty excited. I open the bag and envelope and unfold this wax paper to find a bunch of seeds inside! I guess these are bag seeds from the Ukraine that are 40+ years old. They are older than me. I'm not sure how they've been stored but I think I'm going to try to grow them outside in the spring. Anyone ever had any luck germinating super old seed?

never a super old seed but i use to have rot problems before i started washing the seeds with diluted peroxide before germinating, no more dark slimy seeds. one thing you might wanna look into is GA3 (gibberelic acid) to help the seeds. basically overtime the hormones inside the seed may degrade so this hormone functions as a jump start. its no crazy chemical is pretty common and used for sex reversal and to induce stretching in plants, i tried to buy some once (from china) and i guess customs didnt trusted a bag with white powder cause it never arrived, but hydro shops should be able to hook you up

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      VaderVision Video Content has been made available for informational and educational purposes only. Please view responsibly. Wanna support us on a whole othe...

• grouchyoldman
      grouchyoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      I used GA3 to pop some recalcitrant land race seeds with success. It is available from Amazon. The concentration is important: 500 ppm, on seeds that are really difficult to germinate, 250 ppm on seeds that you think just need a boost to pop. Dissolve the powder in alcohol first then add to the right amount of water.

For really old and tough seeds you might want to scratch them up a bit first around the seam with fine grit.

Buena suerte,

-Grouchy

Right on, thank you very much

Comment

I germinated some 15 YO tomato seed, washed the seed with a bleach/water solution, 100% germination from them.
      Good luck however you choose to try, life has most likely slipped away from most of them after 40+ years. I would try though,,,

Comment

How did the boss get a hold of 40 year old Ukrainian seeds? Is he from the Ukraine?

Comment

Yes he is. I guess he has held on to them for all these years.

Comment

U got to try, first rough up the outside of the seed with a nail file a bit, next soak in room temperature water with a splash of h202 for up to a week or longer changing the water every few days until seeds crack or tails 💣 could b the bomb or bust ioi

Comment

Ya I'm definitely going to try. Thanks for the tips. I've never attempted to grow anything close to this old before. He gave me close to 20 seeds, hopefully a few crack open!

Comment

Potted so it turns out that these seeds are much older than I thought. I talked with my wife's boss again tonight and I guess he bought these from a pioneers auction 40 years ago. He said this is cannibis from the turn of the century! I couldn't wait to try to grow these so I took your advice and scuffed up the seed slightly and are now soaking in a very weak solution of h2o2 and water. 🤞. If these by some miracle germinate, I'll just go buy a tent and another light and see what happens. I can't believe a came across 100 year old seeds.

Comment

If thay germinate you’re going to have some strains that haven’t been seen before, quite interesting. If u can keep posting with progress or lack of it would b most helpful
                  and fascinating as well.lol

Comment

I'll be so excited if these come to life! I will definitely keep posting on this one. He also told me that he's willing to give me more seeds if they germinate. I feel like I've opened a time capsule lol

Comment

• Serapium
                      Serapium commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow. You may have hit a genetic goldmine. I've talked to a few breeders who would kill for the ability to 'reset' the genetics and start over with hybridization from a more pure source. This is why people spend huge sums of money trying to track down uncommercialized landrace strains. If you can get some of these to pop you may be sitting on something you could sell for a very, very large pile of cash.

I wish I knew the strain.

Comment

• Serapium
                      Serapium commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you get one to grow, I'd suggest trying to get a DNA analysis done to see how much it differs from 'modern' cannabis. If you can demonstrate significant genetic diversity it would be worth $$$

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                      9fingerleafs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Shee thanked her husband for a long time haha 😂

Road was pretty rough getting home that night!
                    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                    indoor/outdoor grower
                    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

OK, so this is a two year old post and quite interesting. However, I cannot fathom the most recent replies. Did I miss an inside joke or something?
                      TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
                      EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
                      AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
                      IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Comment

• Driller
                        Driller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There was a spammer on thread looks like its been removed now it was about jewelry and some husband being loved long time or something like that

• 9fingerleafs
                        9fingerleafs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah borderline offensive stereotypical Chinese bad translation promoting a link to a jewelry (allegedly) sounded really funny

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X