Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help !!! Shes misbehaving!!!

Here's the story,
    This is my first indoor grow with seeds purchased from reputable online seed bank, (Figured I go with Auto fems first go round to get my feet wet so to say....) I got a little problem and I hope to get some comments.

Germinated and planted 4 of 6 "auto fems', (2 each Royal Cookies Auto Feminised and, 2 each Royal Purple Kush Auto Feminised.(2 of the Purple Kush never germinated....), The four that came up, I raised at light period of 18 and 6 day/night entire grow, each in 5 gallon fabric pots. The 2 Royal Cookies grew very well, and I was happy with harvest between them 96.54 grams dense tacky bud, (I harvested after observing 25% amber trichomes at 65 days)

One of the Royal Purple Kush, I harvested at 70 days, final dry weight 72.04 grams, also very happy with the results...buds bigger than my fist, best smoke I ever had in my 61 years.
    Now here's the problem, which I wrote to the "reputable online seed bank" about, and they never replied...

The one other Royal Purple Kush which germinated, just sort of hung in limbo for the longest time, and just acted different. At harvest of the afore mentioned 3 other healthy plants, she hadn't even shown any flower or pistils. I figured that someone at the 'reputable online seed bank' gave me a mixed up seed or somehow it was a genetic mixup cause she looked nothing like the other Royal Purple Kush which was small, squat, and true indica in appearance. (Now I was not idle while this oddball girl was growing in veg and so I practiced LST on her and eventually got @18 main branches to form and grow. I came to the conclusion that she had to be a "photo-period girl and so after the autos were gone and harvested,
    I switched to a 12/12 after harvesting the last auto, at day 64 and sure enough I started to see small pistils and flowers form.. Its now day 100. So technically shes only been in flower for 36 days... Shes much taller than the other 3 autos before her ever were, but I feel her plentiful flowers are too tiny and airy and I have concern as to what I might be growing here. She never really had many of the bigger fan leaves that I saw on my Autos, but she is literally covered with sugar leaves and all these tiny small flowers. Am I over reacting here???? Will these tiny flowers develop into big buds? Has any of you pros ever seen a girl like this??? I do observe a a fair amount of trichomes on the small sugar leaves Am I wasting my time or should I go another month or two with her and see what develops. I hope this is not a "hemp" plant, (I'll go to the store if I need any rope). I also would like to get an opinion on what kind of girl this is/or resembles... as I do not think she is in any way a "Royal Purple Kush"....Any advice on fattening up these small buds, see my notes below for what I'm currently feeding/my set up Thank you all in advance for your help and or comments...

Indoor grow space 4x4 tent, Lighting is Flexstar Ballast / Reflector with 2ea Phillips 315W CMH total 630W,
    Tent air control is 6" exhaust Carbon filter with 442 CFM inline fan and variable speed controller w flex duct vented outside,
    Inside air circulation is 2 ea. 6" oscillating fans,
    I have a custom built auto controlled Baylight temp controller heat/cooling system to maintain set-points, inside temp 77°F day/ 67° F night,
    Inside humidity help is via a 3L Homasy Ultrasonic "Smart" Humidifier to help with getting to 35-40%RH and trying to hold. I have had it down to as low as 20%, but I'm very far north, outside tonight the air temp is minus 7°F, wind chills minus 20-40 predicted. Its very hard to maintain any humidity level with out help, I also have a bag of "Exhale" hanging inside my tent, not just for the CO2, but to help increase humidity.
    Everything is in 5 gallon fabric pots with commercial compost , locally sourced 'Fort Light' soil purchased from local grow shop. Veg on all plants was very light feeding with Biocanna brand for soil - "Bio-Vega", Bio-Rhiztonic", and "Bio-Boost" at slightly less than recommended mix (to be safe) Water is at adjusted 6.3 to 6.6 pH off my well, ( 8.0 pH, at 125ppm measured unfiltered at tap ).
    In Flower, I'm feeding every other day, Biocanna brand "Bio-Flores" main nutrient, Bio-Rhiztonic", and "Bio-Boost" at slightly less than recommended mix rate. Recently I have started to add 1 Teaspoon of "Grandmas" unsulfered molasses ever time I water as I heard that it can bulk up buds. I've also added a couple of times a couple of ml of General Hydroponics Armor SI to strength the tiny cola stems, I've also added a few teaspoons of "RECHARGE" to help out with the root zone. My feed/watering is usually at 650ppm with runoff at over a thousand. PH is average 6.3 to 6.65 and runoff in the same ball park. I think the fabric pot is undersized.. (Had I known that this girl was not an "Auto", I would have put her in a bigger pot, but I do believe it's currently too late.
    See pictures for comparison between these two girls and example of bud off first girl. If I could get buds like this off plant 2, I will be happy camper.
    Last edited by RedFlannelHippie; 01-21-2019, 12:01 AM.

Hi hippie, and welcome to the forum! I'm not a pro and I've never grown autos, but I've had seeds produce runty plants and I had 4 out of 5 of the same packet of Diamond Cookies never germinate (and one's still sitting there, don't think I'll mess with it). Sometimes it happens.

Some seed stores will replace, and I guess others won't, perhaps because of the disclaimer on all seed sites that seeds are not for germinating where it's illegal, they won't give advice, etc. But folks have posted on the forum about getting seeds replaced (I never bothered).

Lovely buds!!!!!
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• RedFlannelHippie
      RedFlannelHippie commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Alltatub, Thank you for your gracious reply.I do appreciate that this forum is available for growers to communicate among ourselves and look forward to utilizing it for help and mutual 'friendship/comradeship". I have a small farm here in a northeastern state next to the Canadian border.We have been raising organic produce for over 30 years and find it so interesting that I have learned more about plants and plant science since they legalized weed here last year, then in all the previous 30 years put together. Here's my question for you, ...You said you have "never grown autos" so I take it your experience stems from photo period cannabis. Any guess (based on current size in photo) on what can I expect for a flower to harvest 'time-line' on this plant that I now have living in my grow tent. Am I looking at 2 or more months? What do you think...?
      Also, just to let you know, when I contacted the "reputable online seed bank", I was looking more for advice on what strain that they had mistakenly provided me, as opposed to looking for some replacement seeds.On their website, they go to great lengths about their customer service...I would like to order from them again, I find their strain info to be very educational... I'd just like to get the seeds I thought I was purchasing.
      Happy Growing to you.

I think the buds will fill in with time 😁 looks a bit like a Mexican I grew outside a few years ago,
    Hi RFH and welcome to the show,this is a great site for info and advice and friendly heads who want u to grow the best weed possible!
    No b.s. here just opinions and answers som times to many ha,ha,ha pictures help.

Comment

• RedFlannelHippie
      Editing a comment
      Hi Potted, Appreciate the reply and encouragement. Was your "Mexican" a worthwhile venture? I guess I'll have to wait and see how this girl turns out. I hate having my one tent occupied with one plant, so I'm hoping it's a good one... I do have a generous supply of different purchased seed strains that I am waiting on getting going, and this unknown plant is keeping me off my winter calendar. I'll keep posting pictures.
      Happy Growing to you.and have a great day.

• Potted
      Potted commented
      Editing a comment
      This could b your new winter calendar grow u can start a cupple in small pots till she's ready to chop in bout 6-8 weeks and to answer your previous Q most definitely a worthwhile grow but being outside I let them grow to over 12’ tall befor the chop.

If you keep growing and feeding her, especially with the molasses, she will grow some fine bud, come harvest time.
    HappyGrowing
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• RedFlannelHippie
      Editing a comment
      DAAS69, So you don't think these small flowers will lead to popcorn nugs? That is my greatest fear especially since the strain t'hat this was supposed to be', gave me such nice fat buds, which were obvious even from the start of flower when the pistil sets were very thick and white. I have noticed improvement since I started the molasses and will keep it up. Do you advocate Molasses with every watering? Every other?
      Happy Growing to you as well and Thank you for your encouragement.

• RedFlannelHippie
      Editing a comment
      no bud ever formed even though I added molasses to her regular feeding. See photos in my last post below

She looks very Sativa, no? But I see what looks like a lot of foxtailing at the top of the colas? I've never seen anything like that, like she stretched cuz she was getting too much light????? Anyone else help me out here? D.A.A.S.69 ???

So Hippie, which seedbank was it? A lot of us here like Seedman, and I also like SeedSupreme a lot.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Hippie, DAAS knows his stuff! I forgot that she was that young; yes, she will fill in nicely.

• RedFlannelHippie
      Editing a comment
      Alltatup,
      So is this "foxtailing"? They grew this way from the beginning and each cola, from the very bottom to the top is covered with them, some of them are so long they are now competing with their "host" cola... I was thinking that this looked pretty unique, and also was wondering what would happen if I braided a few of them around their host cola while their branches are still supple, and allowed them to grow together??? Would this choke them or would they just fatten up...sorta like the thai sticks that I remember getting here in the states during the Vietnam war. I could hold the braid in place with a wrap or two of gardening tape until they merged? I'll add a close up photo of the "foxtailing" to the photo set if I can..... whatever strain this girl is, she sure is sticky...is this normal for being so young?
      The reputable online seed bank was in fact " Seedman".

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Hippie, NOOOOOO!! I was wrong; I thought they were older. My mistake. DAAS is right: they have a lot of swelliing to do.

And you definitely don't want to braid them: each cola needs her space and air circulation so she can grow nice n fat.

DAAS,
    Is it too late to transplant? I could take down the Scrog netting, slip her into a 7 gallon fabric pot with soil on the bottom and then cut the current fabric pot away while back-filling around the sides with new composted soil. I'm sure the root ball is pretty compacted since shes over 100 days old.... I could then put one if not two of the Scrog nets back in place, I've transplanted trees before with good success, how much different could this be???

Comment

Update now at week 9 of flower, (see photos) Having searched high and low, I finally came to the conclusion that my girl was either a Dr. Grinspoon or a Quasar Haze type of landrace sativa. No formal "Bud" ever formed,but instead, hundreds of individual calyxes forming off the plant stems with small airy flowers. From soil to top of tent, it is covered in these small flowers....I showed photos to the owner of the premier grow shop in Burlington, who suggested a taste test to see if she was worth keeping till harvest. two hits afterward, I was ripped. Note close up photo, the entire plant, stems, leaves, flowers covered with frosty and very sticky trichomes. Pistils are now changing color, so thinking of a flush this weekend and harvesting in week 11.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        You are right, hippie: she could be a Dr. Grinspoon!!!! Exciting!!!!! Though Grinspoon isn't "landrace"; she's "heirloom."

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X