New member and first time growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member and first time growing

Hello everyone. First grow, first post. I’ve read everything on this forum and website I think multiple times. That’s really the only reason I got to this point. I’m a total newb, lol.
    My setup.
    2.5’ x 2.5’ x 5’ homemade cabinet
    315w cmh w 3100k bulb. Generic model, will just see how it does.
    4” ipower fan and charcoal filter. With temp control. Steady 78 deg with the light on.
    Coco coir and perilite. 70/30
    fox farms nute trio and cal-mag

Growing two strains. 3 regular seeds each, planted dec24.
    Queen Ann’s Revenge from TGA genetics
    Lemon Moon (local breeder)
    All 6 sprouted on dec29 in jiffy pellets and then set in coco. I’ve been feeding 1/2 strength nutrients daily with a weekly plain ph water and cal mag flush. Started lst training at about 3 weeks no topping just trying to keep it simple my first time around.
    None of the plants have shown any signs of sex yet. Here’s my delema, I have 5 gal fabric pots to transplant into but only have room for 4 at most. Honestly I was just hoping to get 1 female of each strain. Not sure how long I can keep them in what I have now (around 1 gal size). Almost 4 weeks old today and no experience to tell how much longer until they show themselves.

How about transplanting to pots smaller than 5 so you can keep them all. Then after 2 or 3 weeks cut clones from each one and label them well. Then start 12/12 when you are sure of the sexes kill the males and kill the corresponding male clones. Finish flowering the bigs and the female clones will be ready to go.
    Last edited by Smokesteve; 01-19-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• NH420
      NH420 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I can them all into 3 gal pots and just finish the grow that way. I wasn't planning on cloning them. Next time I will order feminized seeds, it would have made it a lot easier. I just couldn't get any at the time and I was too impatient to wait any longer.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      NH420 No doubt about it that feminized seeds make growing easier, but regular seeds are the real deal. If I had the space and the equipment, I'd always grow regular seeds and weed out the males.

• NH420
      NH420 commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup Why are regular seeds better than feminized?

Hi NH, and welcome to the forum! Your plants look great!! The last time I grew regular seeds, I did notice that one of them was much lankier than the rest, and sure enough, it turned out to be male. What you don't want to do is allow all six plants to get root bound and start having root problems.

You won't know for sure until you switch to flower mode and they start showing pistils or pollen sacs, and then judgement and execution should be swift. That fella in the rear left looks a tad suspicious to me... It wouldn't surprise me if the other 5 were all females...
    Last edited by alltatup; 01-20-2019, 07:37 AM.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• uncledoug
      uncledoug commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the forum, Nice job building your grow box, your plants look nice and healthy so your doing great. I haven't grow any photos yet so I'll follow your journal and see what I can learn along with you. Sounds like you've done your research so I'm sure you will do very well growing.

Just posting an update 4 weeks old today. I just repotted them yesterday in 3 gallon fabric pots. Well all but one that is since I only had 5 of them. It’s been a real quick adjustment for them since they are still growing like crazy. A little crowded now but should be ok since I’m expecting to kill off a few males. I’m thinking I’ll be switching the lights to 12/12 in about another week.
    Still feeding at half strength nutes and seem to be doing well so I won’t fix what’s not broken.
    If anyone sees something wrong let me know
    I’ll update again next week.

Comment

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      Put a Smile on your face! Welcome and it proves that if you Know before you grow, there is less stress on you and the plants !! Nice grow !!

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice plants, just looking ,I think most are if not all are gonna be females, at least I hope so, most of the males I've grown were tall an lanky,.
      In coco you can grow huge plants in 3gallon pots,
      Looking great,keep up the nice job, and welcome to GWE.,in coco when they start flowering you might have to water more often than normal, But that's ok.
      HappyGrowing

Quick update on my grow. I switched the lights to 12/12 a few days ago they are still growing like crazy.
    I did a light defoliation Yesterday, removing some of the larger fan leaves and lower growth and finished lst. I have pretty much filled the entire grow area and have achieved a fairly flat canopy.
    Ive kept the lights at 18” most of the grow, that seems to be the sweet spot for this fixture. I tried 16” but they showed some signs of light stress.
    Watering about every 2 days at half strength and just added tiger bloom to the mix.
    I really haven’t run into any issues so far and it’s been a fairly straightforward process so far utilizing the wealth of knowledge on this site.

Comment

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      As my eye doctor stated to me for Glaucoma, Keep Doing What You Are Doing!   Leaves up, Happy plants!

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking very nice and healthy, good job.Your gonna be rewarded nicely, come harvest time.
      GoodLuck
      HappyGrowing

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X