Sugar Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar Leaves

All of our buds seem to be surrounded by tons of sugar leaves. I've been reading contradictive information on their merit. Some say they will adversely affect the overall taste and quality of the final product.

Even though they are truly beautiful, do they have any value. Do they contain enough potency to dry and use for cooking such at making butter?

All opinions welcome. What do you do with your sugar leaves?

The more "sparkly" the sugar leaves, the more common it is to leave them on the bud. If they don't have any trichomes, most growers will trim off sugar leaves down to the base. The issue with sugar leaves is they're generally not as potent as buds even if they're sparkly, but they contain the same amount of plant matter so you're smoking more for less in a way. However, depending on how the buds came out I think it can be pretty to leave some of them on, and I also think that leaving more on can help slow down the drying process, which is a good thing after harvest especially if it's dry where you live! If you do trim them off, they're perfect for cooking and making butter! All those trichomes and potency contained in the leaves gets put in the butter, and all the inert plant matter gets strained out

Comment

Yes, right now they are very sparkly, but plants are about 3 or 4 weeks from harvest. I supposed a lot of change will occur during that period.

I will probably convince hubs to leave the small leaves that are nestled right into the bud, and to cut off the bigger ones for me to use in cooking.

Comment

3 weeks from harvest?! How exciting!

Comment

I like to save sugar leaf for cooking with. I tried coconut oil instead of butter, and brownies turned out awesome. I try to pick every piece of leaf I see on the bud right before I break it up to smoke, smokes tastier and smoother

Comment

Originally posted by Carlsoti
            Some for-profit growers trim sugar leaves clear down to the bud (for better bag-appeal of the bud) then sell the trim to hash-makers at a much reduced price. A couple 1 gallon bubble bags an a few ounces of high-grade sugar-leaf trim can be a very worthwhile experiment. Or use it for edibles, whichever fits your fancy.
            I bought a set of the colored bubble bags back when we first planted our seeds. I did it on a whim, and since I knew absolutely nothing at the time, I thought oh cool, I'll surprise hubby and make him some hash. Just maybe I can still do that!

Comment

Originally posted by Pankace View Post
              3 weeks from harvest?! How exciting!
              Thanks. I have to keep hubs reigned in. He thinks a week or two but I know and several on this site agreed from looking at me pictures that it is more like 4 weeks.

Comment

Some MMJ plants have Leafly Structure buds. these genetics will not make real change in the harvest Window . these Leafly buds can be Geneticaly inhereted from Parent or Parent of parents if they dont backcrossed .
                my you noticed the Leaves Trichorms is Slightly more than bud Trichorms. dont forget Having The Trichorms Does not Means potency.. many plants have Trichorms . like African Violet but they dont contain THC . so Sparkley of buds dosent mean its potent Pice .
                ithink you must cut down Suger leaves WITH NO mercy . YOU CAN COOCK OR MAKING bho - Rosin or many more from these leafs

Comment

Originally posted by insomniaczzz View Post

I bought a set of the colored bubble bags back when we first planted our seeds. I did it on a whim, and since I knew absolutely nothing at the time, I thought oh cool, I'll surprise hubby and make him some hash. Just maybe I can still do that!
                  Insom, Do yourself a favor and get a Kief Shaker. Also I hope the grinder you got hobbie has a collector on the bottom so you can collect Kief. That is Hash before it is compressed. I use it as a stashbox to keep my smoke in. Look it up on Google. Just another benefit of being a grower.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfish View Post

Insom, Do yourself a favor and get a Kief Shaker. Also I hope the grinder you got hobbie has a collector on the bottom so you can collect Kief. That is Hash before it is compressed. I use it as a stashbox to keep my smoke in. Look it up on Google. Just another benefit of being a grower.
                    I will look into the kief shaker. Does that replace the bubble bag method of making hash?

Comment

Originally posted by insomniaczzz View Post

I will look into the kief shaker. Does that replace the bubble bag method of making hash?
                      You can still use the bag for making hash. You can save all your fan leaves and stems and trim that you don't want to smoke along with ice water and all that. It just seems like a big hassle to me. I just smoke the kief. It burns just like Hash ie once you light it, it won't go out.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of making dry ice hash to collect the trichomes. You use the same bubble bags, but instead of using ice water you use dry ice. We can buy dry ice at our local Smart 'N Final. You just put the weed and dry ice in the bubble bag and shake. It freezes the trichomes and breaks them off, and they fall through tiny holes in the bag. You get sooooo much kief/hash so fast, and you don't have to dry it or anything because there was no water (so no chance of mold like with ice water hash!).

I just sprinkle the powdery kief directly on bowls though some people like to press it. We always do all our trim and it makes buds last twice as long because every bowl with kief on top is stronger than buds by themselves

Sirius made a great video showing how easy it is, the hardest part is just buying the bubble bags and getting dry ice (here's a place to look up where they sell dry ice near you, it's usually really cheap). After that it only takes a few minutes of shaking! If someone asks why you're getting dry ice, say you're having a spooky party and want mist coming out of your punch bowl

Jump to 4:30 to see the magic!

There's dry ice and cannabis in that bag, and you can see the trichomes falling out when you shake it!

Don't laugh at my terrible camera work at the end haha

Comment

• Tika
                          Tika commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Me too! Love GWE video with you two making it!

• Royal Nugs
                          Royal Nugs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It is almost Halloween, perfect excuse for dry ice! Sirius, I love the shirt. Goonies never die!

Thanks Nebula and Sirius!! I am going to watch video now.

I already have the bubble bags........bought them on eBay (which is where I bought a lot of my equipment including the tent and lights.

Now getting my hands on some dry ice when the time comes may not be as easy. I'll have to do a google search for dry ice in my area.

Comment

Great video - looks so easy!!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X