Happy New year, and greetings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New year, and greetings!

Hey grow peeps, I'm sorry it's been so very long. I've missed you all, but I thought of you lots this summer. My business has been absolutely insane. Some of you may remember that I hired an associate for my business, she only stayed for 6 months. It wasn't a good fit. My profession has a high burn-out rate, and I'm a little fried. I'm glad to know you guys are all here keepin' it real.

The other part of the reason I was so busy was that I took full advantage of my Oregon-ness, and had an outdoor grow of 7 plants. (4) in 100 gallon grow bags, and (3) in 25 gallon bags. My friend Nick and I worked together, and had a blast, and my 7 plants yielded about 8 solid pounds of rough-trimmed bud. Yes, it was great, and I know I will surprise many of you with this: but I don't think I want to do that again.

But there were Purple Hindu Kush, Vanilla Kush, Dairy Queen, and Jack Herer in 100gallon grow bags, they each produced a little over a pound and a half each. There were also Blue Dream, Bubba Kush and White Russian in 25gallon grow bags. These yielded between 6 and 12 ounces. We had little rain, especially for Oregon, so very little mold. We did get the tiny caterpillars, but caused minimal losses. That BT spray wiped them right out with no nasty stuff in it.

Even though people like to say that soil grown tastes better, I disagree. I've grown in hydro using a couple of different nutrients, most recently MegaCrop (good shit, yo), and last Christmas I got a LEC315. My last indoor grow yielded a little over 7 ounces (it was pretty gangly in there) of Dairy Queen by TGA. The indoor version tastes far better than the clone of the same plant that I grew in Gaia's Gift Soil. It's also a lot more potent and sticky.

Mostly, I got really tired of trimming. I know, it sounds like a nice problem to have. But trimming several pounds of pot is freeking TEDIOUS and messy. And now, I have 2 laundry baskets filled with gallon bags of weed. The Jack Herer plant didn't turn out that well, I did an experimental grow with the cheapest soil available at the Farmer's Co-op. Gaia's Gift soil seems to have made a tremendous difference.

Peace, blessings and clean tents to you all.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

LOL

wow 8 lbs to trim and deal with, makes one pause and think
    the most I have had to deal with is 3 - 4 oz at once.

my hands ache in sympathy

can I get that tagline, on a T shirt?

Comment

Hey DingusKhan welcome back to the forum.
      that sure seems to be a nice problem to have, gallons of your favorite cannabis laying around. Glad to hear from you again and thanks for sharing your pictures they look beautiful.
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Welcome back my friend. Glad to hear you kept growing. I wish I had a several pounds harvest. I agree with you, there’s nothing special about soil. Wish you a happy new year, lots of growing and lots of weed

Comment

Thanks, guys. I know, right? It used to be "First World Problems" or whatever the "privileged" still manage to complain about. I never dreamed I could complain about a cannabis glut. But yeah, trimming more then t5 oz at a time is for the birds. Also, outdoor, soil grown is a lot less bud-dense when you''re done, which mean SOOOOOO much more trimmage and waste.

One of plants, the Jack Herer, was a last minute "hey, I have an extra 100gal bag, and I like to experiment..." so I filled it with the cheapest soil available at the Farm Store to grow it as a comparison to soil in which I grew the other plants: "Gaia's Gift" from a little grow supplier in the Oregon/Northern Cali greenbelt. I also intended to grow this particular clone it in the tent, so had manifolded it 4 ways. That does not make for a heavy yielding, outdoor grown plant. There were too many main stalks, WAY too many colas, and the buds came out kinda small and unexciting, and smothered in soooooo many leaves.

After cutting it down and hanging it on fishline in my man-cave in mid October (and with all this good weed I have to smoke), I have not been able to muster the energy to take it down and trim it. That shit is still hanging.

It tastes like pine and vinyl, llike I suppose Jack Herer is supposed to. It's not very sticky,Nick and I are going to cut it down and throw it straight into a bucket to try to make bubble hash out of it.

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
            LurkingInTheGrass commented
            Editing a comment
            I would have to recheck to confirm - but, doesn't that make it CBN territory?

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            DingusKhan it runs thought my head at least ones a day how I use to covet every spec of resin and now I throw it away. Funny how a grow can change your prospective.

• PRIMO
            PRIMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Yo D.K It's been a while. I feel your trimming pain, I have a manual silicone paddle type trimmer that works well on tight wet buds, not so much on the airy ones, to much shake and not enough bud left. never tried it on dried tho. I did see a hash shaker https://pollenextractor.com/Shop/en/ that looked kinda cool. Looks to be kinda time consuming but not real expensive.

Ay caramba!!! That’s a very decent amount of weed, you gonna get so much hash

Comment

• DingusKhan
            DingusKhan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks 9FL, I hope so. Nick has the mesh bags. I hope THC doesn't evaporate, we could end up with a whole bunch a nuthin from that. That last pound or so was an experimental plant that I wasn't very optimistic about at any point of it's growth, other than it wasn't dead yet.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            If it's been hanging in cool and dark, you shouldn't have too much degradation at all.

You wouldn't get good hash cuz all the plant matter will crumble. If it's smokeable/vapeable/edible, I'd say re-hydrate it w/ bovedas. If it's no good... off with her head.

Dingus dude, Good to see you again!!! Sorry to hear about the colleague who didn't work out; congrats on removing her. I hope you find someone better quickly. All the animals don't want you to suffer from burn out.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Welcome back! 100 gallon grow bags? I didn't even imagine they existed. https://www.amazon.com/Oppolite-Aera...llon+grow+bags

Comment

• DingusKhan
              DingusKhan commented
              Editing a comment
              They were perfect for an outdoor grow. Each bag takes about 1/2 yard of soil.Any bigger, and it would have killed us all. The 100gal bags are about 5 feet across, and 2 feet tall. My plants were about 4 feet tall, and like Scott from "Weed Schooling" on YouTube, I leaned the trunks back at a 45 degree angle, a lot like Nebula's LST. Made for big fat wide bushes with lots of big colas.

My 2018 grow contained some White Russian. How did your's fair for potency? How would you compare it to straight White Widow? I did save a clone of the best plant monster cropping it. I also applied colloidal silver to one of the three plants. but that was not very successful. I did get seeds, but the source of the pollen is an unknown. Oh well I have mother clone.

Comment

I really enjoyed White Russian grown in soil in my tent under LEC last winter. Very frosty, tasted a little like black pepper, very narcotic high which was delicious. The outdoor stuff is also very nice and stony, but not as gooey as the indoor stuff. The buds were really big and chunky, but had really big, thick sugar leaves in them. I had trained the clone for indoor grow, but then she got kicked outside into a 25 gallon bag with Happy Frog.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X