• Show
Clear All

• LurkingInTheGrass
    commented on 's reply
    rubbing the magic lamp to summon Rwise

may also have some info re: medicating cancer

• SDwy
    commented on 's reply
    I'm very interested, thanks. I just found the recipe, but we have a gas stove. I will look into the machine you suggested. Holy shit! that's expensive! I saw a video on u-tube where they used the coffee pot burner?

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    SDwy Getting old is not for sissies!! I don't know how you want to go about making FECO, or full extract cannabis oil, but if you can afford to invest in a Source machine by ExtractCraft, you can recycle the alcohol used to make the tincture, ends up being perfect oil and no open fumes to explode! I use Everclear 190 to make tinctures and concentrates, and I'll be glad to share recipes with you. And I don't recall which strains you're growing, but THC is also extremely important for cancer patients. I could PM you some info on "learning how to get high" for those who think they don't or won't like it or who have had bad experiences in the past.

• SDwy
    commented on 's reply
    alltatup...No I am out & only on day 26 of flower. I would LOVE to see the recipe, do you have a link? I fully intend to make edibles for her upon harvest. She does not want to get high so I am planning on giving her something right before bed. She has had surgery to remove the cancer and the DRs's are not recommending chemo at this time, but I want to kill the cancer asap. She has also had 3 strokes in the last 2 years as well, it's been tough on her. Getting old sucks! Thanks for your comments a LOT!

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    SDwy I also live in a cannabis unfriendly, ignorant ass state. You are not alone!! Are you making Rick Simpson/Cannabis oil for your wife? I wish her the very best.

• SDwy
    commented on 's reply
    The kush looks good to me & yes I think you went a bit too far defoliating but I am betting you will be pleased with your finished product & I’m no expert either. It’s very cool smoking weed you grew yourself! I have not bought any weed since I retired, almost 5 years now! I’m planning on making edibles for my wife this harvest & I’m in week 3 of flower now.

• SDwy
    commented on 's reply
    Looking good!

• SDwy
    commented on 's reply
    I’m growing my 1st manifold plant now & my 1st serious LST plants under a scrog net. I see more buds than I have ever harvested before. I am also flowering in dirt for the last time, my clones are in my 1st DWC setup & I’m using LED’s for the 1st time too. I’m using GH nutes & keeping the most detailed grow journal I’ve ever kept. I’ve learned a TON here, you will too & I suspect we will learn from you too!

• SDwy
    commented on 's reply
    Ouch Bro! I’m newer than you are to GWE but have been growing for 4 years now. My 1st grow, I had NO clue & failed a bunch before I even got seeds to sprout. I got serious in January when my wife was diagnosed with colon cancer. You know more now than I did after 4 or 5 harvests, lol. I love your sense of humor & actually am looking forward to watching your grow. Hell I’m still trying to figure out how to even post photos (& overcome my paranoia of even being here!). I live in a very Cannabis unfriendly state. Good luck with the grow & I think you’re kicking ass already!

• aintdedyet
    replied
    thanks … good to get some reassurance.... figure another week to 10 days until chop

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Hi ady, I don't see any sacs on the Afghan; your buds all look fantastic!!!!

• aintdedyet
    replied
    atu: apologies for delay in thanking you for your detailed comment. Agreed … a wee bit too much lolly in the lollypopping … maybe went a little nuts on some of the defoliation efforts as well … the price to be paid in reduced yield. Never have nailed down the whole pH thing the entire grow either.

Been 4 weeks since last post. Now halfway through week 10 of flower, and it looks like some sort of staged harvest might be in order to accommodate the two Jack Herer and one Afghan Kush in the grow. Pistils on the Jacks have pretty much turned, with only a few new ones in the darkest regions. Trichomes maybe 50-60% cloudy. Afghan continues to build bud, lots of white pistils and clear trichomes.

Just used AN's Flawless Finish on all 3. Magnesium sulfate and magnesium EDTA (chelating agent) supposed to clean out residual nutes. Not sure if it was a waste of coinage, but not comfortable with the nasty dark colour of my runoff associated with nute and humic acid use. Final watering or two before harvest will be water only.

A few pics attached. Any comments appreciated if you see something that bothers you.

Jack 3 (topped once, then LST) appears farthest along despite being the youngest plant. I'm basing this on the appearance of the leaves, which I note are starting to turn yellow in a random pattern on the plant compared to Jack1. Is this a valid conclusion, or is this instead a deficiency of some sort? That stunted little knobby stem on Jack 3 looks as though it may provide some mighty fine buds after all.

Jack 1 (topped 3 times to form 8-cola manifold) shows no leaf discoloration despite identical treatment. When performing the manifolding I tried to follow the tutorial on this site to the letter. I got exactly 8 colas (except I snapped off one by accident!) but can't help but think I may have reduced yield by removing side branches. That plus the stretch was disappointing for both the Jack. Many examples I see posted by other growers are bushier with higher yields despite being manifolded. A final yield comparison between Jacks 1 & 3 will be most interesting!

Amazed at how different the Afghan is from the Jack Herer … right from the get go up until now when she's still building bud after a comparatively huge stretch.

And now for a newbie question: please take a look at the close-up of the Afghan bud. Look OK? Call me paranoid, but to me the buds have looked a little sac-like since the beginning. I see pistils and trichomes, but any reassurance most appreciated at this late stage in the game.

Getting stoked for next grow …

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    Hi ady, Hope you're feeling better, and that you've got some good cannabis medicine available to you!

There could be many reasons why your plants didn't stretch much. It could be genetic, switching to flower too soon, too much defol can stunt growth if not done correctly--or at least that's one of the things I understood from reading Nebula's tutorial on defoliation. Different things can stunt cola and/or bud growth... So you'd have to re-evaluate what you did and when you did it to see if it was you or plants' genetics or what.

Training: "grow a series of spherical clusters on a vertical stem": I think that's the basic goal of plant training, no? to turn the christmas tree shape into a "landscape" so to speak, spread out horizontally to maximize use of space and lighting. As for larger buds, that can depend on the strain or it can be due to growing factors. I tend to like a lot of strains described by the breeders as yielding "moderate" harvests, but I am learning that so much of what goes or doesn't go into the vegetation phase determines how the flowering phase is going to go. Nebula says that the secret to a great harvest is in proper prepping of plants during veg. I look for strong vigorous growth, a good amount of roots, proper training, and time. I'm learning as we speak, from mistakes I've made on my current grow. You also have to have a good idea of what the height of the plant will be (frustrating when breeders describe a strain as having both Indica and Sativa phenotypes, so you don't know which you'll get) so you can maximize your use of the flower stretch to continue training and filling the space.

I would say that you lollypopped up too high on the plants (been there, done that), and you could have had more bud lower on the cola.

I can't remember the details of your grow, but the girl in the back looks so Sativa in appearance compared to the two Jacks.

Stay strong, brother!

• aintdedyet
    replied
    Hi y'all. Apologies for being incommunicado for a month … battling health issues and a snowmageddon you would not believe. Figure I owe an update and I have a couple of questions.
    Now 40 days into flower following a 57 day veg. Since the execution of Passion things have been pretty uneventful (no real leaf issues, no bugs, etc.)… at least I think so, but given this is my first grow who knows? I'm thinking uneventful is a good thing.
    So flowering stretch was a wee bit disappointing, particularly with respect to the two Jack Herer … was expecting 100-200% but saw no more than say 35-50% at most. Any advice on this much appreciated. Recall that I'm using some inherited knock off lights that people seem to make fun of sometimes. The Afghan was stretchier (a word?) and has shown greater growth all along. And I still have never managed to get my runoff pH into the prescribed range … best I have got to date is 5.4, even after adjustment of the AN nute mix to pH 7.0 (which you're not supposed to have to adjust). So I guess my question is: I this simply a strain thing; does more flowering stretch equate to more/bigger buds, and if so how best to promote that stretch?
    I've been pretty brutal in my defoliation efforts all along … two nights ago I stripped pretty much all the remaining fan leaves to get max. light penetration and air circulation. Hope I haven't overdone it, but a lot of what I've read here says that's pretty hard to do. I've also bent over a few colas on the Afghan to keep them away from the lights and see what happens to the exposed buds … duh … they seem to like the light!

Newbie error: accidentally cut off a couple of buds during recent defol. Got a little complacent after 2 hours and maybe a wee bit hazed … ! On a positive note, had a chance to learn to examine trichomes using my little microscope and phone camera … always look for the positive … right?

Remember stumpy (Jack 1)? Turns out the cola adjacent to the stump did in fact compensate a bit (circled in pic below). Immediately grew a lot more in size, and appears to stacking up a few more buds. Hurray!

Had a cola/stump issue on Jack 3 as well that I wanted to ask about. I noticed the growth of one of the stems appeared to be stunted, and changed from a round geometry to a rectangular one at a certain point. Then, instead of the buds stacking up in the usual manner, they formed a dense cluster in a ball atop the stem (circled in pic)… So did I accidentally restrict the stem, pinch it off completely, or otherwise damage it to promote the growth. Got me thinkin' … could a person train a plant to do this … grow a series of spherical clusters on a vertical stem, with each cluster optimized in terms of size and density to promote max. yield (e.g., smallest sphere on top, largest on bottom, of a 3-4 cluster growth, as I've seen on some bonsai tree thingies ..) … or am I maybe a wee bit hazed … ?

So a wee bit disappointed with bud size so far. Any suggestions on how to make 'em bigger at this point? Currently using 1 mL/L of AN GMB, along with B52, Big Bud, and Bud Candy. Flawless Finish on hand for flush before harvest. Like I said, still don't have a handle on pH, and probably won't this grow, but so far this has not seemed to be source of many of the issues I see described on this forum (fingers crossed!). Still … can't help but wonder what can be at this point to maximize yield. As a 1st time grower I, as I suspect many others, am totally bewildered by the broad range of offerings out there with respect to nutes, lights, media, etc. Kinda reminds me of the gold rush … more people making money from supporting the rush than from the gold itself.

Apologies for the babble …thanks in advance for any input.

Leave a comment:

• alltatup
    commented on 's reply
    "A hoser"????? A HOSER?????? You Canadians...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X