Challenge: Identify This Insect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge: Identify This Insect

Okay, so it's not really a challenge, but over the past month I've found 2 of these beasts on my reservoir. I don't think they've done any damage that I can see, but I can't actually identify it. The closest I can get is that it appears to be a member of the order Coleoptera (duh) and I would guess it's some sort of leaf beetle (generally https://elp.tamu.edu/ipm/bugs/order-coleoptera-beetles/). Here are some difficult portraits. They're iffy because I'm trying to use my new usb microscope, but I think you can get the idea. Location is the Southwestern US.

Here's the back. Note the green and black stripes and the black dots on the carapace over the thorax, behind the head.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bug back 181229_161324.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	279995

And here's the handsome devil saying, "Hi!"

Click image for larger version  Name:	bug front 181229_161244.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.8 KB ID:	279996

I don't think this is a problem, but this is an indoor grow and I have no idea where these beasties are coming from. I haven't actually seen either of these things on the plant itself, but they are in the tent.

Anybody know anything?

Thanks.

Edit: maybe the Elm Leaf Beetle? http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7403.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	?format=1500w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	397.3 KB ID:	279997

There are no Elm trees around that I know of, but it wouldn't surprise me if I just missed them.
    Last edited by madams9; 12-29-2018, 08:09 PM.
    Third grow - Northern Lights and Red Cheese (Southern Oregon Seeds) , ​​​​DWC hydro

That's my old Uncle Coolie. How'd he end up at your place?

Comment

• madams9
      madams9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Heh. Funny.

My guess would be they were in the soil, but are you using soil? And have you seen these around before?
    Isn;t that Ringo in the second pic,,,,,

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
      LurkingInTheGrass commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL - has that 'drummer' look to him

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
    My guess would be they were in the soil, but are you using soil? And have you seen these around before?
    Isn;t that Ringo in the second pic,,,,,
    I don't recall seeing them around and I'm growing in a DWC hydro reservoir. The only thing close to dirt in that tent were my Rapid Rooter plugs.

I don't know. Keeping an eye out for more.
    Third grow - Northern Lights and Red Cheese (Southern Oregon Seeds) , ​​​​DWC hydro

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I am no expert on IDing bugs, I would take it to the local ag center (OSU extension center), just maybe they can ID it, if it is a local bug.
      DWC kinda eliminates them coming from the soil,,

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X