best filter media for tinctures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best filter media for tinctures

I've been making whole plant extract using 190 proof ethanol. Switched from room temperature, 30 minute soak to 'chillax' described elsewhere on this site. i.e. soak chilled matter in chilled alcohol in the freezer. I filter the cold tincture through a large rayon oil filter, designed for cleaning cooking oil. I switched to using these from using coffee filters due to their larger capacity (last batch was about 6 oz of ground material. My next batch will be over a pound). I evaporate and reclaim the alcohol using a machine which seems identical to the one sold as 'Green Oil Machine', but mail ordered from Walmart at about half the price. Basically heats the tincture to about 97C, condenses the alcohol vapor into a receiving container.

Compared to room temperature soak the cold soak/filter method produced a smaller amount of concentrate, but about 2 x the potency (56% vs. 23% based on testing at SC labs). Net yield of Cannabinoids was comparable, so it seems that the cold method was effective in reducing extraction of other plant matter without significantly hurting cannabinoid yield.

To prepare medicine for my wife, I dilute the concentrate in MCT oil to about 75mg CBD / gram, from 500mg CBD/ gram in the concentrate. It makes it easier for her to take, and she can measure by the dropper full instead of by the 'grain of rice'.

However, in spite of cold filtering, a fair amount of sediment settles to the bottom of the dropper bottle, and the concentrate is still opaque and very dark. The filter media I use does a great job on used cooking oil. It comes out crystal clear.

Can anyone here suggest a more effective filter media, or other process changes that will produce a cleaner concentrate?

Thanks!

Hi jalapeño:
    What are you trying to make--a Green Dragon type tincture or a really pure, "gold" cannabinoid/terpene only tincture?

The clearer you want your tincture, the faster you have to "wash" your material in the alcohol. The cold is necessary for making a very clean tincture; it's not so much for FECO (full extraction cannabis oil). The faster you soak your material in alcohol and the colder you keep it, the less plant matter, chlorophyll, etc. gets into the tincture. But then it's not full extraction.

A full extraction tincture can sit in a cool dark place (I keep all tincture in the freezer) for an indefinite time, and will extract all sorts of extra goodies from the cannabis. That's the more holistic tincture, of course.

I've done both and made vapeable concentrate from the very clean extraction, but I had to break down and get a buchner funnel and paper filters to get a totally clean tincture. A buchner funnel will get rid of all residual solids.

Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• jalapeno
      jalapeno commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Allatup. I think I'm somewhere between 'green dragon' and 'gold'. I have adopted the freezer method, but with a 45 minute soak in the freezer (after pre-chiling the ethanol and the weed). That yielded about the same total cannabinoids as prior room temperature extractions (relative to quantity of weed extracted), in a more concentrated form (i.e. less other plant matter), so I was happy with the improvement. The main improvement I'm trying for next is getting the residual solids out. So, I'll look into the buchner funnel and paper filters, now that I know what such a thing is called ;-)

jalapeno Yeah, I had a heck of a time learning about what it was and how to use it. You have to be able to connect it to a vacuum pump; I use the pump on my Source extractor machine, but you can buy one that comes with a hand pump. Here are some pics of the funnel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	278280Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	278281Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	278282

As I wrote before, this was a very quick wash so I could make some vapeable sap.

Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Potted
      Potted commented
      Editing a comment
      So your pulling the tincture thru the filter with the vac.is that right?

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Potted That's correct. You can see where the tube comes out the side of the buchner to the vacuum, and it pulls the liquid through fast. The filters are like 2 or 3 microns, so it's very VERY FINE filtering, and it would take forever if you left it to its own devices.

Finally getting back to this project. Last BIG batch, I still just used a commercial food grade oil filter, on about 16 oz. of frozen decarbed material in about 2 gal. cold ethanoll, after straining and 'ringing it out' through a cheese cloth. Cooked down to about 50 grams of conc. that tested to ~67% cannabinoids, but still has sediment once I dilute it with MCT oil for my wife to dose.

Found a Buchner set up on Amazon with a 1000ml flask, and 350 ml funnel and a hand pump for about $70. Comes with filter paper, but they are about 20 microns, which might not be any better than the oil filters I have. Got online to ask Allatup what grade paper to use , but my question had been answered (thanks!), I'll get the rig, and some 2 - 3 micron papers and give it a go on my next harvest (est. March 31).
    Last edited by jalapeno; 02-01-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      jalapeno I think most folks would agree that it's also not a good idea to grind up bud before making tincture, since the trichomes are on the exterior of the bud. But if you're looking for a super-green tincture, I guess it doesn't matter.

• jalapeno
      jalapeno commented
      Editing a comment
      So, do you just pour the cold ethanol over the whole buds and leaves, or do you crush them in your hands first, or what. Ultimate goal is to not waste any cannabinoids, but also minimize dissolving waxes, chlorophyll, etc.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      If you don't want any of the other stuff, do a quick wash with gently broken buds, not into small pieces. This guy's articles have taught me a lot.
      By Troy Ivan ibc@ichibancrafter.com QUICK WASH ETHANOL (QWET) EXTRACTION A clean and safe cannabis extraction process that can be performed at home is called “Quick Wash Ethanol," shortened to QWET. It involves freezing cannabis and ethanol before combining them to soak the cannabis and “wash”(a verb) the cannabinoids and terpenes from the plant material. Once

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X