Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

atu grow # 9 (number 9, number 9, number 9...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seedlings are between 10 days and 2 weeks old. The younger seedlings are in the old box and have taken off like crazy, growing great. The older seedlings in the new LED box and coming along, but growing slower; it's cooler in there than in the other box.

The Widow seedling, front left, is struggling a bit; her cotyledons turned yellow. Her roots are coming down, though. We shall see. Behind her is Jack, and he has more roots than anyone else. If Widow doesn't get strong, I will remove her and let Jack have half the box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	279022

All 4 seedlings in old box have lots of Sativa in them; they are growing toward the light and putting out nice big leaves.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	279021
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup You always have the tidiest grow room I ever see...lot of respect plus girls look nice

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      PaganRich The box is clean; the grow room is a bit cluttered and in need of a good mopping.

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup Thank you for the update. I appreciated that

week 2 veg

HPS plants are thriving, and they're a week younger than the LED plants.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	280920

LED plants are coming along, but I think it's been a bit cool for them, and I know they need a bit more heat than the HPS box. Cindy99 (front right), however, is outdoing herself and is front runner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	280921

Here's a funny little miracle re-birth: The WW (front left above) has struggled just a tad, and her first two leaves turned completely yellow. Her cotyledons turned necrotic almost immediately, so she was hungry. Throughout this past week after feeding, her first leaves changed from yellow back to green. Whatta fabulous plant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	280922 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	280923

Last edited by alltatup; 01-02-2019, 08:07 AM.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup Lovely grow you`ve got going there Atu

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      What a sweet looking setup! Can you help me understand what's on top of the clay pebbles/where I get some?

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      ocgreen look up neoprene inserts for the size pot u have.

TROUBLE IN LED BOX:

3 out of four are struggling. Cindy 99 seems to be doing fine, but the other three have had their lowest leaves turn yellow with some dry, brittle brown splotches appearing. I am flushing them for 48 hours with some Grapefruit Seed Extract added to the plain water just in case there were any bad microbes around. While my HID box is doing great, all growing like beasts. I gave both boxes the same amount of nutrients in mid-week, and I think that was a mistake with the LED box, whose plants aren't anywhere near as advanced as the plants in the HID box.

This is WW; her roots will start to descend, and then they just shrivel. You can see the one on the right side in front doing just that. She's the smallest, been struggling all along. The leaves I thought were turning green went total yellow, and it's moving up.

Name:	IMG_2507.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	281621Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E2515.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	281624

Bad Azz Kush:

Name:	IMG_E2513.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	830.2 KB
ID:	281623

This is Jack; I snipped the crispy brown parts of the lowest leaves, but it spread upwards.

Name:	IMG_2508.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	281626

Cindy seems fine (upper right); WW is definitely stunted, but I believe they will bounce back. I sure hope so.

Name:	IMG_E2516.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	727.6 KB
ID:	281625

My BCNL rep immediately blamed it on bad genetics before he even knew anything about my grow conditions. That's just stupid. I'm going to ask him to refer me to someone else who's better at listening and explaining.

Comments? Suggestions? Opinions? Complaints?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Sallisawjim
      Sallisawjim commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry for your babies, hope they get better soon. Wish I knew something to help, but you have been my guide. They are in good hands. That much I know.... šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±

• Jibblerjoe
      Jibblerjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say some plants do better than others under led. I've had this same problem, in coco. I attributed it to coco staying to wet, believe the roots were struggling. After using a heating pad and lil less water they came out of it.

What are the temps in the led box? Is it possible oxygen levels are low

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Jibblerjoe According to the BCNL guy, inside the box is around 4 degrees warmer than outside. So it stays between 72-80 during the day, with reservoir at 68 degrees F. Gets a little cooler at night.

I may have to wait till it warms up a bit to re-start the LED grow. Ideal for summertime in these parts...

Howdy alltatup, Sorry to hear that You are having problems with Your grow. I have not used LEDs, so I do not know much about them, but since you are having problems only with the LED plants, could there be a problem with 'hot spots' from the LEDs? How are the temperatures (water and air) ranging? Is there aeration of the reservoirs? In the attached photos there seem to be places where light could infiltrate into the reservoirs. What is the silver bar like item on the right hand side in between the plants? If both of Your grows are setup the same, except for the lights, then I would suspect the lights may be part of the problem, either too close or too far away. On my CFL grows, I have noticed as the leaves grow on the upper portion of the plant, the lower leaves get 'shaded out', turn a slight shade of grey green, shrivel, and fall off.
    It could be a simple thing or a combination of several things. Good luck and I hope that it clears up.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      DW2 As I've discovered in the past 24 hours, there were indeed light leaks from the lid into the reservoir, and I've already written to BCNL about it. I'm shocked and appalled to find this out; I paid a very pretty penny for the box, and the quality of this lid is completely different from the first box.

Hi Atu

the netcup (with roots) you are displaying is really dry. is the level in the reservoir high enough? (are water droplets getting from the surface to the netcup)

should have asked to speak to his manager

how dense are those white lids? (did they cheap out on manufacturing, between your HID tent and LED tent?)

and, those COBs, are they fixed, in position? (do they move up and down?)
    Last edited by LurkingInTheGrass; 01-05-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      1. Netcup dry bottoms: I will raise the water level. Right now. The other three plants have roots that descended into the water.

2. The lids totally block the light.

3. The COBs don't move, but there is a dimmer knob. The instructions are to start at maximum unless the plants have been under some other kind of light prior to coming into the LED box (not a tent).

• LurkingInTheGrass
      LurkingInTheGrass commented
      Editing a comment
      crossing my fingers, and wishing green thoughts

1: dry netcups
      I thought they were also getting a drip feed? or did I misunderstand along the way

2: light proof lids
      thats good. supports your reasoning to continue buying their product, they didn't cheap out in obvious places

3: dimmer knob
      also good - they engineered seedlings/small plants into the design

I think it's root rot, though I have no idea where it came from...

Comment

• Sallisawjim
      Sallisawjim commented
      Editing a comment
      šŸ˜Ÿ I'm sorry. That's young too.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Sallisawjim Roots felt slimey this afternoon. I will deal with it in the morning, giving them one final try to get them right. Let you know what happens.

• LurkingInTheGrass
      Editing a comment
      bennies?

LurkingInTheGrass You were right: the reservoir lid is letting light through. I got down on the floor on my back in the dark room and saw light streaming through. What a freakin surprise, because this is a top notch company and their boxes are not cheap.

I was shocked an appalled. My other lid does not leak light at all. I will talk to them about it today. My poor plants.

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
      Editing a comment
      LOL - I usually just put my phone in a ziplock bag and set it in the reservoir

since this is rather serious circumstances - I will refrain from imagining you rolling around on your grow room floor

Would this help from SiriusFourside ?

"Another great Roseman trick: Cover the cups with small sized disposable plates. Cut a hole about 1/2 the width of a Rapid Rooter in the center for the new plants to grow through. I find this useful for blocking light from getting to the cubes and tank, and the paper plates also help keep the rockwool cubes moist."

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      BCNL needs to replace the reservoir lid. It's defective.

I will halt the grow today, clean everything up, and wait for a new lid.

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      Sucks big time. Sometimes you don't even get what you do pay for!

alltatup , I use aluminum foil (with a hole for the seedling) taped down over the net pot and Hydrotron pebbles to completely seal out light leaks, cheap, but effective.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I'ma try something like that, to keep all the pebbles from rolling out when I lift the lid.

damn, sorry

they better not give you a DIY solution of wrapping the lids

make sure you point out the loss of plants/time/meds/$
    gouge them for something

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
      Editing a comment
      use every dirty trick in the book

the meds are for the pain, the plants are for the company
      and, if it is a male rep - cry

• LurkingInTheGrass
      Editing a comment
      Ok, maybe crying is to much

but you do brag, and promote their product (based on the HID quality)

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Lurking, I'm just too old to cry; that's for the young girls. You are too funny!!!!!

LurkingInTheGrass SallisawjimDW2starramus PaganRich Jibblerjoe

Dear homies who gave me lots of good ideas that finally led to me solving the problem: Check this out: it was underwatering!!!!

From wilting to dropping to yellow leaves to nutrient deficiencies, under watering cannabis can cause a lot of unexpected problems and symptoms. Learn & fix!

I put those black neoprene things on top of the hydroton pebbles so they wouldn't roll out, and the plants got totally dried out on top. Either the timed irrigation isn't working, or I had the probe too far away from the pots. So I removed the black stupid neoprene things, turned on the water override, gave them a good soaking from above, begged their forgiveness, changed and cleaned the reservoir, had a glass of wine and a nice strong vape of NL...

And we shall see. I think I found the problem. And I couldn't have done it without your suggestions and support. You are the best.

Comment

• PaganRich
      PaganRich commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup Go with your gut

• Jibblerjoe
      Jibblerjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the challenge of rolling with punches.

• LurkingInTheGrass
      Editing a comment
      ah, the old 'split brain' dilemma - LOL

If it were me, I would run them, but I am not as confined by space

If you run them and train them - you will learn tons
      lesser yield? maybe
      longer run? likely

If I can afford Alitatup, I noticed your problems, those black disks I used them too. Excellent x clones but with seedlings creates wringing problems. Timing the plant is good for the first week of life, then it should be activated to the maximum. I've seen the very dry pot what it's supposed to be, should it not be full of droplets? If you have the cover that lets in light, use a thermal blanket to cover it, little expense maximum yield. I just said my thought.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Famine. You are correct and I wont use the black discs again. And I love the thermal blanket idea!!!šŸø

Call me an optimist, idealist or in denial...

Plants are still struggling. NOW, my next hypothesis is that they are starving to death. I sold my AN nutes and I have been using some old Future Harvest nutrients that I'm thinking are totally expired. I'm beginning to see yellowing lower leaves in the HID box as well, so I'm now concluding that it's a nutrient problem as well as what Famine pointed out: those black neoprene discs are not what I need.

Man, I feel like I'm about to be fired from this forum. Please let me stay, guys. I'll give everyone a lb of top shelf bud as soon as my new nutrients arrive, which, thank the Cannabis goddesses, is tomorrow. If the plants do not show improvement with the brand spanking new nutrients within a few days, then it's off to a nunnery I go, never to grow again. I'm sooooooo glad I have a good stash from November harvest... I am learning some new, hard to learn lessons...

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Doubledealing72 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a bummer ATU. Hopefully it is just old nutes, and they will hop right back on track.

We won't let ya get fired. This site is union!

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      You'll see a difference in a couple of hours not days. Good stashes are from hard work - I have one too from November - 420 grams. Now that I think about that number ...........

Sheesh, Iā€™m feeling bad for you. Iā€™m not taking you off of the pedestal... that means youā€™ll solve it. Youā€™re too good not to. Some days, I am looking for a ā€œthingā€ I never find only to learn that ā€œthingā€ was right in front of me all along

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I just can't wait to solve the mystery!!!

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids

Name:	CRC-SCDO400-CA_fefa67b3-3934-4da4-b643-ae91d0fc25cf_1200x.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	282706

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X