Rain Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Water

Curious, does anyone collect rain water for DWC style grows? How well does it work and how did it change your nutrients?
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

I've been collecting rain water for my coco coir grow when I can.it's either collect rain water or run a hose out to the grow room to my 90gal tank. Only thing I've noticed with the rain water is I need to run a little more Cal-Mag. It's pretty close to using RO water its around 12ppm coming off my shops roof to a collecting barrel. It also takes very little ph down. With my GH nutes I don't need to do anything other than mix it up

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      Metal roof?

You shouldn’t bring outside elements into your indoor grow room. If you wouldn’t drink the water yourself, then don’t feed it to your girls.

Last edited by Toker1; 12-09-2018, 11:46 AM.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      Great discussion, but in the conclusion the first several findings were prefaced with "May", however the point is spot on. No one really knows what is going to come down on roof top collection systems. Reason for the "May", to man variables but most are not good for grow our girls. Thanks, great read.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      For sure... you are correct. The pathogens have to be present first. It’s a possibility, but not for certain. Now you can always add a filtration unit to make the rainwater potable (safe for human/ medical plant consumption). The reason we don’t bring in things from outside is to limit risk. There is nothing in an indoor garden that acts as a natural predator (unless you are adding biological controls), so pests and pathogens are given a chance to thrive in an indoor set up. So you are really risking everything you worked for.
      After all my hard work, time, and $$$ I put into a grow... using raw rain water is just a risk I am not willing to take.
      Last edited by Toker1; 12-09-2018, 12:59 PM.

It’s all depends on the water,test first,! To b sure

Comment

Only real problem I have had is skeeters in my tank. So I put a 50micron filter on the end of my hose. Took care of that problem LOL

Comment

Howdy RagWeedDWC, I would not recommend using rain water in a DWC grow, even though the rain water absorbs oxygen and nitrogen as it falls thru the air, it also picks up mold and algae spores, dust, smog, and everything else that might be floating around in the air. In a soil grow, there are many beneficial microbes and bugs that will moderate the hazards in the rain water, where as in a hydroponic system, it is a breeding ground for all of these detrimental things. I think that one receives a greater benefit by using tap water, keeping it well aerated, and cool.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
          RagWeedDWC commented
          Editing a comment
          To your point DW2 the article referenced above proofs your statement, we really do not know what is coming into the barrels, including pesticides. Thank You.

I have a well, but I sure as hell wouldn't drink from it, or hydrate my little ladies with it.
        Last edited by starramus; 12-09-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          Correction I won't even hose my balls off with the well water. City tap water for that. The well is solely for outdoor watering of the lawn, and my wife's poisonous vegetables.
          Last edited by starramus; 12-09-2018, 12:55 PM.

• RagWeedDWC
          RagWeedDWC commented
          Editing a comment
          After 21 in the corps, I probably washed mine in everything but gasoline. However, will not water my plants with rain water :-)

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t think that way. I have well water too and I would die if I drank it but I use it for the plants mixed with RO water. I wouldn’t drink RO water with nutrients in it and it’s the best for plants.

Can see your point DW2 to a point. But tap water has all kinds of stuff in it also and unless your growing in an absolute sterile lab environment every time you open the door or flap to your grow room guess whats coming in. But hey to each their own. Good luck on your grow RagWeedDWC, very much looking forward to some pics on the grow!

Comment

Thanks cardshooter , current pictures are in my journal, and thank you!
          Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
          A tale of two seeds
          Batter Up Sour Deisel
          Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
          New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
          Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

We have been drinking our well water for decades. Other than a bit of hardness, its really decent (SO FAR). We have it lab tested every 2-3 years for the 29 carcinogens and about 200 other elements for water purity. The pH comes in around 7.4 and TDS is under 50ppm . Cal-Mag is a staple here for sure. Measure the rainwater before and the pH was a bit more acidic around 6.3 -6.6. I remember BMW had over 1500 cars ruined many years ago in the US due to acid rain etching water spots into the horizontal surfaces at one of their seaport storage lots. Water quality issues are not addressed as much as they probably should be.

The ladies here did very well from the well and standard soil and hydroponic fertilizer mixes with pH adjustments

Comment

I should probably clarify rather than resort to ball washing. I have emigrated from my urban existence to a bucolic rural setting. The little burg I inhabit has a population of around 170 people. I am surrounded by farm lands, with the local agriculturalists furiously pumping Monsanto chemicals onto their crops. My well is a ground water well utilizing a jet pump so it is no more than 25 feet deep. I am certain my well water through run off and ground seepage is contaminated by Monsanto's poisonous chemicals. Thusly I do not utilize the water for anything that might pollute my precious bodily fluids. (what movie is that line from? ) I have checked the ph of the well water, and it is near 7 so the ph would not present any problem, but what else is included in that mix I dare not guess. The town tap water is treated, and from a deep well, but how effectively it is treated is up for debate. External use only so I guess i am back to ball washing. "What a strange trip it has been!"

Comment

• Juicyj89
                Juicyj89 commented
                Editing a comment
                Haaa. You’re ridiculous. Funny as shit. But so ridiculous. 😂😂

We lived on farmlands in the 1970’s and had a spring box. Volume was ok but between the cows and manure spread for hundreds of acres around the house, the spring water was contaminated... don’t drink that crap.... and nice to hear the explanation . Winter time we would sometime melt snow for drinking water, yuk but clean

Comment

I dont think I would say snow is clean,,,
                I would not use any water from my wells without testing at least 2 times a year. (would be the same for the spring water I know that has iron bacteria in it) One never knows where the powers that be put an injection well, we have had 2 near me shut down!
                I have questions as to whether or not tap water is safe,,,but thats another issue.
                Rain water goes down hill to the lakes, then is collected, filtered, tested, treated and called safe.
                For my personal use I have a RO system and do not drink tap water!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X