Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advantage to letting the plants freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advantage to letting the plants freeze?

Here's the deal, I have plants outside, winter is early and they are covered. But, there is a storm moving in (freezing rain and or snow) and I could loose power, which means the heater will not keep them warm. They could hold for a couple of hours, but after that, depends on the temps and wind. So if the power goes off for more than 2 hours, would it be best to harvest, or let them freeze?
    They are anywhere from 1 to 5 or more weeks from finish, just guessing as they should have finished before turkey day (that was the plan, half did). I think these are autos, but IDK for sure, they did not go straight into flowering as I expected. They have never seen more than 12 hours light, and started with less.

I would definitely harvest before letting freeze. Water within cells freeze and expand. Puncturing cell walls, tissues are destroyed, so after when it’s time to dry, it will dry super fast and curing may not occur. Ever put lettuce too close to the cold vent in the fridge? After you unfreeze it looks flimsy and soft

Comment

Unless u find a way to keep the roots warm such as a seedling heating pad,hint,hint it’s the roots that need to keep warm the most,if not your fighting a loosening battle with winter.dont let them freeze it will ruin them. 😁
      Last edited by Potted; 12-06-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

For now we will get into the teens (F) with highs at or just above freezing, (looking like 6" of snow,, but) they are in about 4 feet x 8 feet x 4 feet tall (40"?) insulated room more or less. The south wall comes out for access, and when the sun is out with nice temps.
        If the power goes out, I'll run out and pull them! They may not be ready but that sounds to be the best given the conditions.
        Thanx!

Comment

You could pick up a propane heater, but it could be expensive depending on the weather coming down the pipe.https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=propane+heaters

Comment

I would try to figure out something if they are 5 weeks from harvest. If they are a week from harvest take them down. There are fairly cheap heaters that are used by hunters in deer stands that will keep the area warm enough to get you through. They usually use propane cylinders. Up to you though

Comment

Rwise, I've been there due to where I live, simple solution. Go to a camping store and get yourself a Coleman tent heater and a gallon of the fuel and your set ! It will keep your temps in a zone safe to leave without an early harvest and the fuel will last quite a while. Or you can go with the propane stiles. Check it out ! Next time your in a jam, think outside the box.

Comment

Thanx! The weather folks are now telling us this will be mostly rain (with snow and freezing rain south of us), so I may not have any issue (hope). I did take 1 yesterday as the hairs turned amber/gold, nice and fat, there is 1 other almost there,,, this is what one gets using unknown (medical) seed LOL. 3 more are close, and 1, looks like she could go much longer, still stretching and putting on flowers, but not getting fat, she has been bent over and tied down!
                I really cant complain, I would not have any homegrown for Christmas had I not planted these seed, and I am getting more than I expected, though it is also taking more work.

Comment

• starramus
                  starramus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's always best to be prepared in your situation. You don't want to lose plants you have invested time, and money in. I'd pick up one of these cheapies in the event you don't lose power in addition to a propane heater. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Utility-M...1702/642591645

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X