Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoky's First GWE Journal - Autoflowers and Government Leaks in the New Growroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoky's First GWE Journal - Autoflowers and Government Leaks in the New Growroom

Hey fellow potheads. I just joined a couple days ago and I'm just getting around to starting my grow journal.

Since I'm new here, a little about myself. I live in Atlantic Canada and work at a salmon hatchery. I have a B.Sc. in Environmental Science so I do the water tests and run the waste treatment system as well as grow fish. So there we have it - unlimited access to all kinds of good compost and phosphorus-laden wastewater.

Besides growing my weed, I like to dabble in a bit of carving here and there. I'll use pretty much any usable medium that I can get my hands on - soapstone, gypsum, wood, antler, shells, metal, you name it. I can tie some kickass trout and salmon flies too. I have a walking stick that I made like a snake that freaked out a cage of monkeys at the zoo. That was a better compliment than anyone had given me that day about the stick, and a lot of people had.

But anyways, on to my growing. I now have two lots of plants on the go. The first one is a bit of a genetics project, whereby I crossed a photoperiod mystery strain with a CKS Early Miss auto so I can get myself some free auto seeds. At $50 for five seeds, I'll put my knowledge of botany to use. I'm still at the F1 generation yet, but within a couple weeks I'll be pollinating a plant to get the F2s that I can select the autoflowers from. Hopefully by then I'll be able to afford another pack of EMa seeds that I can use for backcrossing. From there I'd like to introduce some high-CBD genetics into it and see what I can come up with.

So here in Canada now we've had the government-run pot shops for a month and a half and already I'm finding seeds. I was crunching up some kickass Blueberry Kush, 20% THC, last night and I found three seeds in it. Well... I had just finished - just finished - filling up and watering down two 5-gallon buckets with fresh soil and was wondering what to do with them. One has three seeds in it now.

I'll be keeping up my journal as things progress and welcome to my first GWE grow journal. i hope to make some good friends along the way here. I have no official plans for a summer outdoor grow, but I'll come up with something. Maybe an autoflowering Hash Plant or something,
    Last edited by SmokyChambers; 12-01-2018, 03:41 PM.

Fine set of pecans (male) in the first pic, and welcome! I have learned a huge amount in this forum.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Welcome to this forum SmokyChambers . Nice write up on yourself. Sounds like your a government worker, they never have enough money. I like your idea of feeding fish waste to your plants. Good luck growing.
      And about those free seeds - put em in a drawer in your fridge - come next spring germinate them and get them started for a couple of weeks and transplant them in someone else's yard - maybe outside of a government office - that's what Dana Larsen does - anyways.........
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Originally posted by RagWeedDWC View Post
        Fine set of pecans (male) in the first pic, and welcome! I have learned a huge amount in this forum.
        Thanks, the male should be ready for pollination soon and in this first generation I somehow ended up with a male auto as well. The pollen for that one is in the fridge now.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck147 View Post
          Welcome to this forum SmokyChambers . Nice write up on yourself. Sounds like your a government worker, they never have enough money. I like your idea of feeding fish waste to your plants. Good luck growing.
          And about those free seeds - put em in a drawer in your fridge - come next spring germinate them and get them started for a couple of weeks and transplant them in someone else's yard - maybe outside of a government office - that's what Dana Larsen does - anyways.........
          No, unfortunately not a gov worker. I work for an aquaculture company that grows salmon. Rotten fish and shitwater are just benefits I guess.

I put the free seeds in soil last night, so saving them is out of the question now. I'll give them 12/12 when I harvest my F2 seeds and get them into the fridge for a dormancy stage. When the Blueberry Kush is ready for harvest, the Autocross will be ready to plant.

And I don't need to plant in someone else's yard,,, I live next door to the woods at the end of a lane. Last summer I grew some in the ditch and around the yard. I suspect I'll do the same again next summer. All kinds of fun. What province you in? I'm in NB.

Comment

• PRIMO
            PRIMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey fellow Canuck. My grandparents lived in Abbotsford, and I grew up on a ranch about 20 miles south of you. I still miss it.

• Canuck147
            Canuck147 commented
            Editing a comment
            20 miles south would be Bellingham Washington.

• PRIMO
            PRIMO commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, about half way between B-ham and lynden. We had a picture window that framed Mt. Baker like a post card.

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

So like the title of this thread says, this is my new growroom. My old one was a cold, cramped, unventilated closet, about 2 x 2 1/2 feet on the floor. Not ideal growing conditions. When the wife said she wanted the closet back and to use the spare room, well, that was all I needed to hear...

I started on a palette table this evening after work. I like to take junk destined for the dumpster and use it as raw materials. This time around I made off with two palettes and two sides of a packing crate, end pieces I think... But anyway. I had to borrow the cordless screwdriver too because I think a few nights ago I may have thrown out the charger for mine in an intoxicated haze when I was cleaning up in the bedroom.

Ok, so I screwed the mess together this evening in another intoxicated haze and ended up with something that's on the right track but not quite there yet. Since this present setup is too high (like me), I'll screw the other palette in just below the present one, unscrew the top one and use it as a removable level for when plants get taller. I have arthritis in my spine and it goes out on me real easy so I'm doing this to minimize bending over when I come in to play with my girls.

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
                LurkingInTheGrass commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL - I too was recently promoted to the 10×12 spare room.

• Canuck147
                Canuck147 commented
                Editing a comment
                It looks great! Like a workbench. I like it.

Hey congrats to you too @LurkingInTheGrass . Better plants coming for the both of us! I can play with my plants now without having to go down to floor level and squeeze in. My back loves it already..

Comment

Well, I was going to work on the table last night but when i got home from work tired, cold and wet so I slipped between rhe sheets for a "few minutes".

Anyway, my alarm went off at 6 this morning and I'm now at work waiting for a chemical reaction in a water test to complete. Let's see what this evening brings.

Other than that, I looked at a pollen sac on one of the males and found the botanical gold I've been waiting for. I may take those and refrigerate them for a couple weeks while I wait for some buds to grow a little more.

And finally, the gov't leaks haven't popped yet, but since they got planted a little deeper than usual, I'm expecting another couple days.

So with that, it's almost time to continue with my water test, so I'll head off for now. Hopefully I'll be feeling a little more like working on my table this evening. Cheerio.

Comment

OK, so I probably won't get to the table for a couple nights. This is egg season in the salmon industry and we're getting the hatchery stocked up, which is usually in the evenings. Please stand by.

Comment

So I was going to pollinate my plants this weekend, but it seems that Mother Nature beat me to it today. My plan was to try and keep some buds smokeable, but whaddaya do? It is what it is, and I got seeds on the way.

Comment

I got to work sick today and was promptly sent home. The wife got me set up with a quarter of Purple Kush so now I'm in the growroom, communing in the ethereal void of gross with my fellow organisms, both botanical and feline, and listening to a documentary on YouTube in the background.

I guess if pollen sacs are popping now, along with a fan about a foot and a half from them, I'm guessing that the role of the males is probably complete, so I'll invest in a bottle of 99% isopropanol and boil out a bit of oil from the leaves. I like to do that because sometimes I run into plants with good THC in them, and failing that, usually enough CBD to relax the body after a rough day. With the small size of these plants I don't get much, but waste not, want not when you have arthritis and depression.

I'm still waiting for the Blueberry Kush gov't leaks to hatch, but like I said in an earlier post, I planted them a bit deeper than usual, maybe close to 15mm down. I usually have a wait of 3 days when I plant the seeds about 5mm down, and now it's been 6 days. I'm not worried yet; I've had some of my F1 Autocross seeds pop up after being in the ground close to 3 weeks and forgotten about. They only came up because they were planted at 4 to a pot and the ones that didn't come up with the first ones were quickly forgotten about and found when I went to transplant. Not going to be using those plants for breeding; I'm selecting for a fast life cycle.

The table will ahve to wait a couple days; I didn't get my hands on the cordless drill from work today and It's just as well. I don't have the energy to do it nor do I really give a shit haha.

So with that, I'm going to lay back and try for some phototherapy with the grow lights haha. Not sure if the blue-end light is the correct wavelength for that though. Should look into that...

Time to fumigate my lungs with a bit of smoke and satisfy my ECS receptors for another while, maybe have a nap. I'm off till Monday anyway so I have no particular sleep schedule for a couple days. Have a good day everyone, or better day than mine anyways.

Comment

Well, the weekend's over and I'm back on my feet. Quite a stomach bug going around here.

So when I looked into the room today I saw some Autocross leaves covered in pollen. I took some of those leaves and blew it onto the females one last time for good luck, so I think I'm going to be the proud dad of some bouncing baby seeds. The next step was to strip down the males and the one plant that turned out to be a photoperiod and grind them up in 99% isopropanol. It's now strained off and evaporating on the stove so I can have a couple smokes of CBD tonight.

As for the government-leaked Blueberry Kush, well, It's been a week and a half and no sign of biological activity from them, so I just finished laying down some Alaskan Thunderfucks to replace them. They have a long flowering period, but they're the only ones I have right now other than some mystery seeds which have been known to hermie on me in the past, so I'll keep those in the fridge until I'm desperate for something to grow.

Still no more progress with the table for now. No big deal; it'll be a while before the ATFs are tall enough to warrant it anyway.

So now it's off to check on the oil I have boiling off.

Comment

So after I got the crappy, disgusting, quasi-potent oil boiled off and a couple of them things choked back into my lungs, the wife came home and gave me a 3 1/2 grammer of weed that she bought at the store. She said she wanted to tell me, but when I told her what I was doing, she let me continue anyway. Well, I got some for another day anyways. Gotta love her.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X