No announcement yet.

CHS is really neem oil poisoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original post asks whether Cannabis Hyperemis Syndrome is related to Neem Oil toxicity. The NCBI case report in the link is about a guy who drank 20ml of pure Neem oil, and it put him in a coma.

Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome is when you use so much THC over time that it makes you puke. CHS goes away if you cut down on pot consumption.

The guy in the story did not have Cannabis Hyperemeis Syndrome. A responsibly applied pesticide, while gross, and not organic, will not cause CHS. I'm not saying it's good for you, and that you should spray without care. But the amount of Neem you might ingest from using pot that was treated with it is not the same as if you drank a shot of Neem oil.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think more users is plausible. More data points taken, the less the data will appear normalized. I have also heard CHS is a complete myth and that people who are allergic to the neem plant tend to have these symptoms regardless of their smoking habits. It went on to say that around 2004 is when CHS was added to the medical checklist every dr has in the country....when they ask patients who were experiencing nausea if they smoked mj that answer and data collection technique could have potentially skewed the data. Those ingredients have since raised more public interest.
      I dont think we can prove a correct answer in either direction as of right now.
      Last edited by Toker1; 01-17-2019, 04:14 PM.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      One thing is certain, more study needs to be done! I myself have not seen CHS, nor do I know anyone that has had this problem. I do know a few that are allergic to pot, but thats another issue. I have never used neem oil, or anything else on my buds for fear of ruining the flavor.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      The first time I got high after Oregon legalized 2 years ago, I puked. It was my first time in many years, and I got FUKKED UP. The people on TV all looked like Max Headroom animations, but it wasn't an animated show. But at any rate, I blew chunks hard, and it was really embarrassing. Now that was only one smoke session, and CHS seems to be a problem associated with chronic use, but still. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

From the alternate perspective, I once learned about a chihuahua that had presented to a Veterinary Teaching Hospital that had been given neem oil at the advise of the "natural food store lady" who said it should be taken for "pretty much anything internal".

The natural food store lady was unaware that all-natural, organic neem oil is filled with pyrethoids (insecticidal poisons) which caused those changes. The dog ended up being worked up with extensive lab work, abdominal CT scan and liver biopsy. The changes were subtle and temporary, the liver went back to normal a few weeks after discontinuing the neem oil. But it goes to show that some natural remedies can be very harmful.
    Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X