This year's yield is almost consumed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year's yield is almost consumed.

.Yup, it's a bummer. But, I've been smoking for over 2 months, and have another week or less. I've already smoked for more than 2x as long as last year's grow. 2017 was one plant only. This year, out of 5 seeds, only one plant really made it.
    AMS Supreme, auto-fems from AMS.
    Using FOX FARMS Happy Frog soil in ~2 Gal pots.
    Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
    4' x 4' grow tent
    6" inline exhaust system
    Growing in an outdoor structure w/ no HVAC system

That's awesome. Throw on a few autos and jump in the auto grow off. You will have more in no time. Let's go. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Redwasp View Post
      That's awesome. Throw on a few autos and jump in the auto grow off. You will have more in no time. Let's go. Lol
      I wish! I don't have control over heating/cooling. I grow in my detached workshop. I just want to grow one pair of plants per grow season. I like the idea of autos, but isn't yield lower than a photo period plant?
      Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
      4' x 4' grow tent
      6" inline exhaust system

Comment

• Redwasp
        Redwasp commented
        Editing a comment
        Is yield lower than photos. Wow that is a very hard question to answer. The yields from autos is constantly increasing. The breeders are making autos stronger (much higher thc) and they are also Increasing yields. So that is constantly evolving, yield and strength.

Autos can also finish in as fast as 65 days in certain cases. Some take longer but almost always 100 days or less. Most people let photos veg at least 4 weeks and the average flowering period is 10 plus weeks, so about 100 days. If you want large yields from photos most usually veg them 8 plus weeks plus the 10 weeks plus flowering phase or 126 plus days.

I would put almost any newer auto plant vs a photo plant that has been vegged 4 weeks and the auto would most likely yield more every time or at least be very close in yields. And remember more than likely the auto would most likely be done 25 to 35 days earlier than a 4 week vegged photo. So the auto grower is 25 to 35 days farther into their second grow before the photo grower has even harvested. Assuming a 70 day auto plant the auto grower will be harvesting a 2nd harvest about the time the photo grower switches to flowering and still has 10 weeks plus left.

Now go to the grower who vegged for 8 to 10 weeks? The auto has been harvested and a 2nd grow started before the photo grower even switches to flower. And his 2nd grow has been harvested and a third grow started before the photo grower has even harvested his first grow. And this is assuming just a 10 week flowering period.

I think most auto growers average 3 to 5 ounces a plant every 70 to 90 days. Plus most autos tend to be smaller so they can grow more plants in the same space. So if you want to count no other variables most photo plants can yield more than most autos. In the bigger picture things just arent that easy.

I grow both photos and autos and always will. But if I was given a set amount of space, a set amount of time, and said grow as much as you can in that space in that time period I will always choose autos.

Thanks, Wasp. You have me interested in raising autos next season. Do you mind letting me know about any autos you've had good yields from? Sativa, Indica, or even hybrid, and the seed bank sourced from would be awesome.
      4' x 4' grow tent
      6" inline exhaust system

Comment

Just to play the devil's advocate, I have to go for photos over autos.
        • I agree that auto genetics are getting better and better, but approximately 20% of an auto's genetics is ruderalis, and I want 100% of my genetics to be Indica and Sativa. I don't want to sacrifice 20% of the genetics to ruderalis.
        • If a photo is vegged for a little longer than 4 weeks, it will produce a much larger harvest than an auto--depending on the strain. We all know that some strains produce moderate harvests, while others produce huge harvests.
        • There are so many more cup-winning chemovars that are photos, although autos are beginning to win more cups.
        • There's still far greater variety among the photos, although the gap may be closed in the future.
        • I still believe that photos are in general stronger in terms of chemical content.
        • I enjoy the veg phase: I'm cultivating my plants and getting them just how I want them for my growing conditions.
        • I like having control over when I switch to flower. I can make sure she's ready for the switch.
        • I'm not in a rush and I don't choose strains based on the size of the yields, but rather on the specifics of the chemovar and its effects. I don't care about "saving" a few weeks. I will grow Gorilla #4 even though its yields are moderate. I do understand, however, why a lot of folks prefer the fast turnover of an auto.
        • I reckon I'm still old school...
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• growsomebuds
          growsomebuds commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you like to train you photos for bigger yields?

The auto suggestion was just a band aid for this poor fellow who is just about out of smoke. I shy away from ruderalis myself preferring the photos. In fact I have never grown the autos for this reason. However I do (hopefully) have some autos on the way. growsomebuds do you have a basement that you could set up a small grow space in, or even a closet? If not you might have to buy some flower to tide you over the long long winter.

Comment

@ starramus-Here's the plant the last of my stash comes from. Fact is, it's the only plant out of 5 of the same strain that made anything of itself. lol I have this tent in my detached workshop. No HVAC control for this space, I'm afraid.
          Buying is too much money for me. So, after each year's grow, I smoke up my yield, then I have about 10 months of no smoke 'til next season's harvest. That's how it's been for my 1st 2 grow seasons, thus far. It sucks, plus, I always start out wanting to grow a pair of plants. If I can succeed at bringing a pair to harvest, I should get about 4 month's of smoke. I could live w/ that.
          4' x 4' grow tent
          6" inline exhaust system

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            So I take it that your grows are limited by the weather conditions? I don't know how you go for 10 months w/out bud.

• growsomebuds
            growsomebuds commented
            Editing a comment
            It's rough........

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X