CMH lighting horizontal vs vertical bulb and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CMH lighting horizontal vs vertical bulb and other questions

I’ve nailed down that I want to utilize CMH lighting however I have yet to find a good resource explaining the bubble position and benefits you see. I’m assuming it has to do with reflectablity and that is why the vertical units have a higher cost? Any help would be awesome as I’m looking to purchase soon. Also what brands of CMH lights seem to hold their value? Finally should I get a 2 315 lec lights or just a single 630. I’m thinking I’ll get better coverage with a 2 315s. I plan to utilize a 4x4x7 grow tent.
    -thank you for any info!

The thing with vertical reflectors is that the 4 sides of the reflector are made of mirror so the light is not coming from a single spot but from 5 spots. This translates into more uniform light intensity without a hotspot in the center.

Just to be clear i do not use this lights that’s just what I know about the cmh reflectors check “Everest Fernandez” on YouTube he has a in-depth review of both lights. It’s not a cannabis channel. It’s a hydroponics channel

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Made of mirror? Like silver and glass? Are you sure... I believe it’s made of aluminum with a mirror like surface finish.
      I don’t have one either though to confirm this. Maybe someone else does?

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I don’t know exactly but instead of spreading the light in all directions like all hoods, it bounces in a 180 degree like a mirror

Yes 9fingerleafs is correct.

Verticle bulbs produce more uniform lighting as most of the light is being distributed through the reflector hood. However this increases the reflective losses compared to horizontal fixtures, as more light is being directed through the hood instead of being emiitted directly from the bulb with horizontal mounting.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

Interesting thank you everyone! Would grow results be better with vertical bulbs bulbs because of even distribution and less hot spots or would horizontal be better because of reflective efficiency?

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you mean by results? Quality? Quantity? Both?

Yeah I was referring to the quality/quantity of vertical bulbs opposed to horizontal. Thanks

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Vertical will get great even light distribution. If you plan to run several together at the same time this is the way to go.
        If you only plan on running one solo, I would imagine horizontal would be the way I would want to go.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X