No announcement yet.

Nirvana WW Auto Sohum Soil Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we're at 9 days from sprout. Doesnt look like I hurt her to much with the drunken transplant. Watered 1/3 gallon today and got runoff out of the bottom? Might have to water this soil less but more frequently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_102907.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	269724
    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah if this so hum soil is like kind soil then you're supposed to avoid run off. You put your hand under the pot and when if it comes away wet just a little bit that's when to stop. I have all my on metal coasters with wheels, that lifts the pot up off the surface of the floor or table. It enables me to have room to put my fingers under there to check to see if the water is gone and reached the bottom of the pot.
      The earth does not belong to us.
      We belong to the earth.

Auto's and Super auto's in Coast of Maine
      Photos in Coast of Maine
      Nothern lights auto, AK48 auto, OG Kush auto Cookie G3 Super auto's
      PurePowerPlant photo, Sweet Zombie photo, Wonder woman photo
      3 & 5 & 7 & 10 gal 24/7 grow bags
      Recharge, molasses, Botanicare nutrient line
      12(6 in each room) 450 watt Viparspector LED
      (2) 6" Carbon filter and fans
      House of hydro foggers both veg and 12/12 rooms.
      8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)
      9 x 12' Flowering room (12/12 room)

Comment

• Greenpassion
        Greenpassion commented
        Editing a comment
        That is really strange. Wonder what that's about? Does the soil feel like it's lighter or very much different than other soils?

• BurningTeddy
        BurningTeddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Little more perlite than the others and pretty fluffy. I didnt see it run off the side and down the pot either. Hoping it's just a fluke.

• Greenpassion
        Greenpassion commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be watching.

Can sohum be used for the whole container or do you need to layer it like Kindsoil?
      ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

• Greenpassion
        Greenpassion commented
        Editing a comment
        I contacted the company, and they said you use it just as it is. No mixing it with anything. It's the same Principle as kind soil, but there's no need to layer it with anything. It seems pretty straightforward. But we'll see....

• BurningTeddy
        BurningTeddy commented
        Editing a comment
        I filled the whole container. Per their directions that's what your supposed to and use a root cube to transplant into the soil. They say you can plant directly into it also which I'll be trying here on the next plant.

Through many years of helping curious growers, we have naturally encountered a few common questions we would like to share the answers to.

Here is a link to how to use sohum soil for weed. Hope this helps.
      Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
      Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
      36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
      4 bulb T5's for Veg.
      2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
      IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
      3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

BurningTeddy , The directions are saying to water from the bottom. That idea doesn't sit so well with me using cloth pots. Are you going to be watering from the bottom or from the top? If someone were using this Sohum in an outdoor grow they certainly wouldn't be watering from the bottom. It would always be watered from the top. So I'm not quite clear on what their reasoning is it indoor plants need to be watered from the bottom. I must be missing something...
        We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
        8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

• BurningTeddy
          BurningTeddy commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been looking for something around the houses to set it in to try, but haven't found anything yet. I also feel like I'd have to way over water, like a gallon, instead of the little bit she needs right now, and if 1/3 of a gallon from the bottom wouldn't reach her root zone yet.

• Greenpassion
          Greenpassion commented
          Editing a comment
          I feel like watering from the bottom would give you soggy bottoms on the pots if using cloth pots. I just don't get it what it can't be water from the top as though it was outside

• BurningTeddy
          BurningTeddy commented
          Editing a comment
          I have enough airflow underneath the pots that I dont think soggy bottoms would be an issue for more than couple hours after watering. I also understand that it's done that way to prevent you from running off the beneficial stuff in the soil. Ibe just never tried it.

This being a soil test though I'll read up on the instructions again and I'll figure out a way to bottom feed to follow their instructions.

Yeah. I have all my pots up on metal coasters with wheels, but I guess I was concerned that wet bottoms even for a few hours might not be good. Probably wouldn't be a problem though. Are you planning on growing any photos using this soil? I'd like to know if it'd last through the length of time that a photo requires to go from veg through flowering and still have enough nutrients.
        We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
        8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

• BurningTeddy
          BurningTeddy commented
          Editing a comment
          No photos planned as of yet.

This soil dries out super quick. Found something that may work for the bottom watering so giving it a shot. A little over 1/2 gallon going in from the bottom. Gonna check it every 10 minutes or so and see how long it takes to absorb.

The wifes probably fed up with me stealing things from the kitchen for the plants lol Click image for larger version

Name:	20181125_124324.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	270411Click image for larger version

Name:	20181125_124550.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	270412Click image for larger version

Name:	20181125_124941.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	270413

Comment

• BurningTeddy
          BurningTeddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Been about an hour and very little movement on the absorption. Gonna leave it till it's gone, not sure I'm a fan of this method.

I've also read that super dry soil can act as a water repellent for a bit and this pot was bone dry.

I'll give it a few more tries to see of I can get the hang of it before I switch back to top watering with (hopefully) no runoff.

I'm glad I'm following this, as I bought some of it and depending on your experience, may or may not use it.
        We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
        8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

Realised with how o had it only the sides were wicking up the water. Added a shallow cooling rack(again from the wifes kitchen lol) and set the plant on top of that. Filled with water to just below the rack/base of the pot(this water shouldn't get absorbed so not counting it), then measured about 1/3 of a gallon and added that. Has picked up the pace absorbing it.

Name:	20181125_142634.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	270447
          The Sohum website says soil should be dry up to 3 inches down, which seems like a lot but we'll follow their directions.

One more water update when its absorbed the rest.

Comment

• BurningTeddy
            BurningTeddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Alright, waters down to the rack. I feel like I overwatered the crap of her. Pots super heavy. So much water for a little seedling.

Only time will tell I guess.

Would a Blumat setup (1L bottle or res) work? It's not technically top or bottom watering, designed for no runoff if done right and would be less mess/hassle. One thing I'd worry about having uncovered standing water is bugs/etc breeding in it.
          Last edited by WeirdWiredWolf; 11-25-2018, 05:43 PM.
          ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

• Greenpassion
            Greenpassion commented
            Editing a comment
            I looked up the blumat system and I'm just curious about how you would determine the size of your Reservoir per plant. And didn't have time to read through it too much but don't know if you can regulate it like haven't come on or go off. I don't even know if these questions are making sense LOL

• WeirdWiredWolf
            WeirdWiredWolf commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll do some research, but I'm not sure how you would go about determining an exact reservoir size (it works on sensing the soil moisture content). Nor am I sure if you'd be able to put it on a timer, but if you'd be using a pump in the reservoir (as opposed to gravity-fed) I can't see why not. That may end up forcing more water through the drippers than they can disperse.

One of the guys at my grow shop is a Blumat guru, so I can check with him next time I'm over there.

• Greenpassion
            Greenpassion commented
            Editing a comment
            WWW,isn't the soil in cannabis supposed to dry out? I would be concerned that the blumat would keep a 5 or 7 gallon cloth pot too damp...?

What is a Blumat set up? Where do you get it? Pic?
          We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
          8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

Subbed. Good soil read 😁

Comment

• BurningTeddy
              BurningTeddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to the party!

Alright, day 13 here for the WW.

Pot is super heavy still after that massive watering but she seems to be doing fine. I feel shes a little behind where my other autos were at day 13 but not by much.

Name:	20181127_091706.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	270876Click image for larger version

Name:	20181127_091716.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	270877
            Temps 70-78°F RH 60%.

Comment

I think she looks great BT. The last seeds I popped got so stretched it's ridiculous. Yours is nice and short and filling out well. That's a 3 gallon pot right?
              We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
              8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

• BurningTeddy
                BurningTeddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks passion. 5 gallon pots for all the plants. I've got the CFLs around 3 inches away to fight any stretching.

• Greenpassion
                Greenpassion commented
                Editing a comment
                I had mine about 8 to 10 inches away. I won't make that mistake again!

Not sure how I'm liking watering this soil. When trying to water from the bottom, it takes pretty long to absorb. Around 45minutes-1hour. When watering from the top, the water puddles up on top and very slowly absorbs through the soil. Even then I feel like some droplets just bounce off the soil all the way down and run out the bottom of the pot. I'm hoping these problems disappear as the root mass fills the pot but it's a hassle right now.

Pot was super light so I thought I'd try watering from the top again. 1/3 gallon added, very slowly I might add. Probably got 4TBS of runoff which is better than last time.

Next watering in a few days I'll try again from the bottom.

Moved the CFLs a little farther away, seeing a little stress on the upper nodes leaves. Probably 5 inches away now.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20181128_104752.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	271080Click image for larger version  Name:	20181128_104810.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	271081

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X