To Clone or not to Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Clone or not to Clone

While waiting on my grow (Waiting on a woman), I have been playing with cloning. When I did grow (Dirt), subjects like fem, autoflowering etc was a distant discussion. Now it seems to be common place.
    So question is, if you are a small grower, can get the seeds why dedicate the space to mother, clone, veg, etc?

Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Because you already know what to expect. Not only the flower but how the plant grows. How much training you need. You know the stretch, side branching. You know how long flowering is. What nutrients she wants, etc. Basically consistency is what clones give you.

Comment

Seeds can be expensive, so a mother room and cloning saves $$.
      Also, not every strain has seeds available. Some specific strains are clone only because the seed breeder did not backcross before creating the seed. Purple Erkle, GG#4, thin mint Girl Scout cookies these original strains were clone only. Any seeds that claim to be these strains are actually replicas of the original. Which brings me to another point... pheno types are found with in the same strains. Some have more or less desirable traits. If you find a seed that is particularly interesting for any reason, that trait will be replicable as long as you keep the mother.
      Lasty, clones are fun to give to friends. On 4/20 (the first legal holiday in CA after recreational laws passed) I gave away a ton of my genetics and made a bunch of people smile. 😊
      Last edited by Toker1; 11-08-2018, 08:09 PM.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

It can also be a way to get your hands on some really good genetics, to build on what was said above.
        The best weed I have still smoked to date, was from this Orange Herijuana cut ( a clone only strain as well) , that I got from a very experienced grower. He had several different variety's that he grew as staples, and the mother plants that he kept were the best, of the best genetics that he'd come across.
        Organic Soil,
        with molasses,
        In a Greenhouse with,
        Redneck engineering.

Comment

Ok, back to plan a with a veg side and a flower side, thanks guys.
          Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
          A tale of two seeds
          Batter Up Sour Deisel
          Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
          New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
          Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
            GreenhouseEffect commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to make you undecide, but all that doesn't necessarily mean you should clone. it can be really fun to try new strains, and to not be smoking the same thing all the time. Also, a seedling is stronger than a clone, and a seedling has a tap root, a clone does not, so you really want seedlings for outdoor grows. If the mother plant is not a very good pheno, then you might be better off using seeds for a while, at least till you find a really great plant to copy. All things worth considering.
            Cloning is definitely a good skill to learn, even when you are just taking clones for the practice, and you never can tell when you will have a really great plant at harvest. If you already have a clone, then you can easily keep those genetics....

• RagWeedDWC
            RagWeedDWC commented
            Editing a comment
            Your right on Greenhouse, until I started seeing the new type of plants that was my plan and still is. New to water, so needed the consistency for a baseline. Nice thing about a mother is that you can sneak a test seed grow (Now that I know I can grow a female from seed) in and go back to her. Appreciate the input
            Last edited by RagWeedDWC; 11-08-2018, 10:25 PM.

Stay flexible, and take clones as you need them.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X