tiny black flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tiny black flies

Yikes! My plant has what I suspect are “Black fly” aphids flying all over it!! I sprayed it with Captain Jacks Insect Spray, which is safe for organic plants. Is there anything else I should do? I can grow any kind of outdoor vegetable or flower but cannabis is sooooo much more challenging. Sigh

Aphids are such a ***ch, they have a strange life cycle so sometimes more often than not it takes several rounds. Check out gwe's pest prevention and solutions onsite.
    Call a plant beautiful, and it becomes a flower. Call it ugly, and it becomes a weed."

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Comment

Also the little buggers hate a good breeze. Dont whip the girl with it, but rustling is good, also you can hand wipe with a moist cloth at the infected areas and rinse in a bowl of hot to kill what you can collect manually.
      Call a plant beautiful, and it becomes a flower. Call it ugly, and it becomes a weed."

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Comment

Thank you for responding! I’ll do as you suggest...

Comment

• SinsemillaScientist
          SinsemillaScientist commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome i hope you find the solution to ypur problem, good luck and happy growing catmomma

Thank you, SinseSci! I actually think that they are fungus gnats!

Comment

• SinsemillaScientist
          Editing a comment
          Even better, hit them with a top layer of sand mix with diatomaceous earth about a 1/4-1/2 inch deep that'll do it for ya.

I will try to find “diatomaceous earth”... thank you so much for your help!

Comment

• SinsemillaScientist
          Editing a comment
          Get the (food grade) so it wont get in the air and hurt pets or you for that matter

Comment

And honestly that looks like a fruit fly. Are you using organic compost or have plucked foliage lying around?

-Jonathan Lockwood Huie-

Comment

Yes, it is organic potting soil. I put a thin cheapo paper towel on the soil around the plant to confuse and disarm the tiny critters. Ugh ... it’s so much harder to grow cannabis than geraniums! Thank you all for your responses!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	265369 definitely fungus gnats CatMomma. Just get those sticky traps like Smokesteve posted. And i think neem oil works too? But dont quote me on that. Maybe research it and see exactly what its intended for but im pretty sure its for pests. Anyways, sorry and good luck.
              “Pounds of weed. Sour D. That medical for my allergies.” - Juicy J

Second Grow:

Sweet Tooth Autos (4)
              192w t5 (veg) 400w HPS (flwr) 24/0hr
              3 Gal Smart Pots
              FoxFarm Trio
              +Open Sesame
              +Cha-Chang
              +CaliMagic

First grow:

150w hps hydro grow (DIY)

Current Grow:

(1) new420guy Black Domina and P98 Bubba Kush
              192w t5
              Rapid Rooter/Jiffy-Pot/5 Gal Smart Pot
              FF BushDoctor Coco-Loco
              FF Nutrient Trio + CaliMagic

Comment

If fungas gnats use sand!! Works better as a preventative than a solution (doesnt most things?) but gets the job done. Like 10$ a bag at home depot for 50lbs of reusable play sand.

About an inch deep across the whole top of the pot.

You have to water a little slower than usual but no drawbacks besides that for me!

Good Luck!

Comment

You may be watering a tad bit too much. Here's Nebula's compendium for the little bastids. https://www.growweedeasy.com/fungus-gnats

Comment

Thank you all!! I agree that I’m probably watering too much...I’m learning so much... everything that can go wrong has gone wrong... what an adventure.

Comment

• SinsemillaScientist
                      Editing a comment
                      I feel you're doing wonderful being a first time grower, youre asking the right questions and working toward solutions, but do the homework the test comes in flowering, good luck CatMomma and happy growing!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Sinsemillascientist! That really means a lot to me.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X