A question of sustainability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question of sustainability

Ok my state just went medical, and from the latest stats, the business end does not look like much more than 20% will survive. I know these numbers change daily, but these are the last I have seen
    8500 patient aps, 6700 approved, the state has no reason to turn it down other than an unclear image, which is easily fixed. ($100 + Dr fee, medicare gets $80 off per 2 year)
    824 approved grow sites (one near me) ($2500 fee per year)
    531 dispensaries, with a few open selling plants etc., no herb yet. ($2500 fee per year)
    That's 12.61 patients per dispensary
    All of these numbers have surely grown, but if the ratios dont change, who could stay in business with only 12 sales a month?
    I was looking into becoming a grower, I have the room.

I have the same feeling about Canada market, bought stock, but since it went legal all of the stocks have tanked. It will take a couple of years for all the real players to rise, hopefully the ones I bought. Completely agree with our thoughts though, medical or recreational.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      We almost got recreational to the vote, but Green the vote made the mistake of telling all those stoned hippies they had plenty of signatures, when they were in fact some 2000 short. So instead of running down registering to vote and sign up, they grabbed the bong and pulled another,,, oh well, maybe next year! This year has seen record amounts of folks registering to vote since the spring vote and bill 788. I see changes coming.

Well I’m going to be honest with you, that patient count will rise exponentially as time moves on. What’s really limiting is a plant count, my state has a 450 plant limit per license, yet 60,000 patients and only about 16 licenses.
    As far as business on 13 patients, I can easily use two ounces a month, 60 grams for easy math at 10$ a gram, leads 7,800$ per month from 13 patients, and 780grams is not difficult to grow even with a plant limit, and this limited budget
    Grow and good luck
    Current grow:

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...lly-grown-meds

past grows:

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...2-grow-one-off

http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...hello-everyone

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      As a patient I have the limit, 6+6 adult+juveniles, a commercial grower has no limit, cool! But there are a lot of rules to comply with.

• furrysparkle
      furrysparkle commented
      Editing a comment
      Regulations happen with legality it’s simply the nature of being a business and any industry leader will tell you they work around, comply, or move to the cheapest and most profitable area. And barriers to entry are fine as long as they aren’t set too high, over 2k licenses or extreme limitations on production. I love testing regulations and I believe a full terpene panel should be mandated for all cannabis in addition to potency and mold/microbe testing

Well unfortunately the small mom and pop style of business is all but dead in most major countries. The product does not really matter. At first when a certain product comes out mom and pop stores are usually the ones selling it at first. The reason is the lower demand. As the demand goes up more people start selling it. When the demand is high enough the big corporations take over and no one else can compete.

The small companies that usually do well are in the service business. Not restaurants usually but people who have a skill working with their hands. Auto technicians especially specialized ones who for example build race cars. Plumbers, electricians, Contracters, even lawn companies. They need to be better than the others and they need great customer service but much easier to succeed.

I'm not saying you cant be successful in the MJ industry I'm just saying it will be very hard especially long term.

Comment

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      IF I do get in someday, I will also look to hemp! Hemp is used to make 50 state legal CBD oil, and is helping many people. Not saying I would not also be growing a high THC type for the medical market.

Once the big boys can lay in a legal supply chain they will rule the hen house. But the smaller growers who focus on growth and maintaining good genetics hopefully will survive and prosper.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• Redwasp
      Redwasp commented
      Editing a comment
      There will always be a need for specialty growers. The ones who care about the taste, aroma, the feel of the buds. Ones who can actually sit down with you and talk to you for an hour and find out what you need. The need for them will never go away. Unfortunately I do not believe that will make the government enough money to make it legal.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      At least the big boys still must be from this state.

And yes like my sister does not like the THC high, but the CBD helps her, just find ACDC on the shelf. For myself, I have spinal pain, and I want the THC, and I like the side effect.

In the news, most common question at the few open dispensaries is, how do I get a permit?

Comment

Stats are changing in a positive way, now 23 patients per dispensary,
      14,639 apps (10,954 approved), for the stats above I use the apps.
      70 care giver (130 apps)
      1028 grows, one is about 1/4 mile from me, gotta go visit!!
      629 processors
      640 dispensaries, a few are open selling plants, still no bud.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X