Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purple Urkle Grow Journal

Hey all y'all,

So with this website being a tremendous resource to plan out (what I should call in actuality my first serious grow), I wanted to start a log with the hopes of getting a moderate amount of coaching through this process! Apologize in advance for me being long-winded, I’ve learned a lot and enjoy other people’s grow journeys when they explain the whole thing out, so I’d like to return the same to the community.

Leaving Washington state and losing consistent access to reliable cannabis inspired me to take matters into my own hands. Coming back in with the mentality that I’m ready to invest and do things right, I settled on the VIPARSPECTRA 600W LED, because my eventual plans for my grow area. Currently, this is paired with a 32”x32”x63” tent, which I’m not thrilled about, but it was cheap, plus it will work until I can fabricate the dream space in my basement’s side room.

Seed Type/Strain: Regular Purple Urkle
    • A friend of mine missed a male just a little too late on, harvesting over a pound of pollinated marijuana. Despite being ruined, the bud was still relatively potent and flavorful, so I can’t wait to see how a virgin plant works out! Either way no negatives, we have a lifetime supply of seeds J
    Seed Start: 9/28/2018
    • Started seeds in paper towels, took about 3 days to sprout where they were transplanted into Rapid Rooters.
    Transplant: 10/02/2018
    Equipment: Below is everything I’m using at the moment.
    • 600W VIPARSPECTRA (Began with a 450W VIPAR, but found too good of a deal on the 600W in the return window)
    • 32”x32”x63” Tent
    • VIVOSUN 4” Inline w/ Carbon Scrubber
    • 4x DWC 5-Gallon Bottom-Fed Buckets
      • Considering connecting a mutual hub to top feed into the rocks.
    • GHE FloraNova Series
    • 150W Hygrotek LED (Used for Veg on my back-ups)
      • ~$40 Light that was mistakenly bought off Amazon
    • 20lb CO2 Tank
    • ViaGrow CO2 Regulator
    • C.A.P. PPM-4 CO2 Controller
    Training: Topping and Soft Tie LST
    • Due to a clear vertical limitation of ~30.5”, [Tent Height – (Bucket Height + Min Light Clearance + Light’s Min Vertical Limit)] -> [63” – (14.5” + 12” + 6”)], I will be relying heavily on training as flat as possible.
    • Originally, I was planning on mainlining, but the discovery of onset root rot made me have to abandon that plan due to the weakened state of the root mass.

Week One: I started off my plants directly in the tent under the 450W set on Veg at 32” above the plants.
    Week Two: Setup the back-ups under the 150W LED instead of the CFL. Swapped to the FloraNova series and started to crank up the nutrients.
    Week Three: Plants really responded to their first heavy feeding, so just going to keep pushing them until I can get them into flower. Set up CO2 tank and 600W LED this week officially! 10/17/18, unfortunately, I discovered the onset of root rot in 3 out of four of my original buckets. It was really early and was able to diagnose it (hopefully) as an issue in water temp, which I fixed by adding some ventilation and insulating the black bucket tops. I flushed the roots and was able to save them, it’s been three days with no more signs. The roots are still reddish, but that’s the stain from the FloraNova Grow. The smell from the back-up’s finally got too strong so I needed to move them to the tent, I also dumped the two that were just not progressing well.

Welcome to the forum Purple. Sensimilla is not totally required for some good smoke as many on this forum will tell you. Looks like you have a very good start to your grow.

Comment

Great setup.
      Keep us posted.

AND we want to see more pics !!!
      My Perpetual Guerilla Grow - GWE forum thread.
      My Grow Journal - In a blog format.
      My Twitter Page - Follow me, I #giveaway stuff
      My YouTube Channel - Subscribe now.

Comment

Looking for some opinions. Not sure if this is the FloraNova Grow stain, or if it's root rot. Made adjustments so the DWC buckets are still at 74F, the tent is 35% humidity, and the air temp is 79F.

There is also zero smell and the leaves seem to be in decent shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2152.jpg Views:	1 Size:	539.3 KB ID:	259928
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2153.jpg Views:	1 Size:	532.8 KB ID:	259929
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2151.jpg Views:	1 Size:	621.5 KB ID:	259930
        Last edited by PurpleDreamz; 11-01-2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Great start - but I'm a soil grower - I never get to look at my roots until I have a plant carcass, then I can pull it out of it's fabric pot. And even then, not too many roots as the airflow prune the roots.
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck147 View Post
            Great start - but I'm a soil grower - I never get to look at my roots until I have a plant carcass, then I can pull it out of it's fabric pot. And even then, not too many roots as the airflow prune the roots.
            Thanks! If rot is an issue I’ll probably go towards coco!

I just swapped my light to the bloom setting only which really dropped the temp so hopefully my plants will grow more vertically.

Comment

Just a quick week 4 update. Roots are looking a lot better with hydroguard and I also moved into a bigger tent. The extra space for airflow really cooled everything down.

Did some major defoliation since the bushy indica fans were blocking the lower level branches from receiving any. Started training too, just some soft ties encouraging more horizontal growth.

Comment

Day ~38 out seed and finally heading into flower! Found the first, very likely, male and female today with the other four being still unclear. With the roots back to being healthy after I added the Hydroguard I’m definitely excited to push to flower and only cut down to the best two females (tired of individually changing five DWC buckets and measuring nutrients). If I was running feminized seeds, I would probably let them veg longer, but I really do not enjoy carefully looking over plants that I’ll just throw out after six weeks.

Swapped out my ventilation for a more robust 410CFM exhaust and swapped the old one to be an active intake. My tent is in an airtight small room without much breathing space on the sides, so it dropped the water temp (since the intake blows onto the buckets) down to 68F during the daytime. CO2 in the tent has been holding steady at 1300-1400 PPM since the air is just recirculating in that room. Using a lot more than I would if I could just send the exhaust back into the tent, but I don’t have a chiller

Placed an order on Seedsman, taking an advantage of the Halloween sale. Already excited for the auto-fems next grow! After a few years of not growing, I definitely forgot what a pain normal seeds are compared to fems, or better yet autos! Hopefully, in the next few months, I can justify investing in a water chiller, so I can keep the water at 68F and recirculate the tent to 82F+ to really have some fun with the CO2. Wish I had taken more photos of just how gunked the roots were. Between adding the Hydro and dropping my water temp down to 68F during the daytime they've made a full recovery.

To drop the temp the temp by almost 10F I had to: insulate the tops of the buckets, swap to a bigger tent to allow more circulation, add a bigger exhaust then use the 4" as an active intake to bring cooler air from a cooler spot, move out the air pumps and actual exhaust fan out of the tent, and pull the lights off almost a foot more. The air temp is a little lower now than I wanted, but like I mentioned I plan on hooking up two igloos beverage coolers to another reservoir with a chiller to make a strong insulated RWC. Hopefully after the holidays!

Comment

Day 48 (12 days since I swapped to 12/12): Down to officially two beautiful ladies! The strongest two from right out of seed! The left plant was a late bloomer, but it’s a girl! I was probably going to pull it Thursday if pistils didn’t pop. Despite the recovery from root rot and the overall calibration of the new grow area I couldn’t be happier with the progress so far (e.g. it took me a while to realize exactly how low the Calcium level is in my house's tap water).

Both canopies are pretty level at about 16" from the rocks, with the right plant in the picture developing amazingly. I’m expecting to see them get close to doubling from this point. I will probably make a few more anchor adjustments over the next two weeks once I see how the colas start to develop, but pretty much on autopilot.

Nutrients (for those interested, I convert everything to grams to maximize my accuracy):
                  FloraNova Bloom: 4.5g/gal
                  Liquid KoolBloom: 2g/gal
                  Diamond Nectar: 4g/gal
                  Terpinator: 3g/gal
                  CALiMAGic: 5g/gal
                  Hydroguard: 2g/gal
                  Last edited by PurpleDreamz; 11-13-2018, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but here goes.

I am putting together my list of items for my first ever grow in DWC...but I live in Mexico. I've found suppliers down here that have everything I need to get started except for Hydroguard. Does anyone have a replacement or substitute for Hydroguard? Maybe a homemade something that does the same thing? I'm just concerned about root rot. It's hot here most of the year so I'll also be dealing with some higher than usual temps too.

Thanks to Nebula and all the rest of you for your invaluable input and the GWE site. The amount of time invested is huge. THANKS!

Comment

A quick Thanksgiving update. Development is insane right now. Will post better pictures after my heavy defoliation this week.

Originally posted by Strucman View Post
                      I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but here goes.

I am putting together my list of items for my first ever grow in DWC...but I live in Mexico. I've found suppliers down here that have everything I need to get started except for Hydroguard. Does anyone have a replacement or substitute for Hydroguard? Maybe a homemade something that does the same thing? I'm just concerned about root rot. It's hot here most of the year so I'll also be dealing with some higher than usual temps too.

Thanks to Nebula and all the rest of you for your invaluable input and the GWE site. The amount of time invested is huge. THANKS!
                      There are a lot of sufficient substitutes on the market. Bacillus amyloliquefaciens at a concentration of 0.038% is the active ingredient in Hydroguard, which is a probiotic that wards off bad bacterias. For example, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ilpage_o08_s00, is a fungicide that's significantly cheaper. However, the concentration is way higher so you'll have to water it down. This can be near impossible to dilute accurately down to the minuscule concentration in Hydroguard. There are other brands that do the same thing, but they're all around the same price (e.g. Voodoo Juice and Great White).

Homemade, I don't believe there is any solution other than consistently dosing hydrogen peroxide, but that is not generally recommended. The jug of Hydroguard will last a very long time since you're only using 1-2ml per gallon. It's worth the investment of $25 to just order it online in my opinion, and a non-circulating DWC build.

Comment

Some quick picture from week 6 of flower, 11 total. The pistils are darkening, so if all goes well harvest should be in two weeks or less.

Comment

• Juicyj89
                          Juicyj89 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Those are a good 4 weeks out imo

Comment

• Juicyj89
                          Juicyj89 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Do you have your grow light on when you take your pics?

I do. Unfortunately, I don't have a sufficient source of white light in tent's room for photos. I'll add some more photos later today when the lights come back on. Probably looking one to two weeks out from flushing. I was definitely being optimistic that I could harvest before xmas.

Comment

Quick update as flowering is wrapping up. I'm anticipating flushing xmas eve and harvesting some time before the new year!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                            9fingerleafs commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Can’t wait to see hose buds in natural light

• D.A.A.S.69
                            D.A.A.S.69 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Looking nice brother, but still cant see anything like 9fingers said, try to take your pictures, in natural light, if you can.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X