Measuring dirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Measuring dirt

I went and got myself a home Depot bucket and I used a Pyrex measuring bowl and I measured out 1 gallon of water and I marked it on the side of the bucket. Will this still equal 1 gallon for dirt even though I used water for the measurement?

Well... I'm confused . Watcha trying to determine?

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha if soilds and liquids are measured the same In gallons. Like is 1 liter of water the same measurement as 1 liter of dirt?

yes volume is about space, you will be measuring litters/gallons of soil. a regular 2cubic feet bag of soil has 56 litters or around 15 gallons

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      So your saying water and dirt measure out the same in the bucket volume wise?

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, in fact you could take anything you can think of and fill till that line in your bucket and youll have one gallon of that thing, whether is a gas, liquid or solid. its just about measuring how much space it occupies. the same way you can weight anything

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said my dude thanks! 😎

Do not forget to take Into consideration that dirt can settle. So what measures out to 1 gallon today can get compacted or settle and become a far smaller amount. When you take dry non compacted soil and water it the volume will usually decrease. However some substrates used to make soil can swell when wet and increase in volume.

That is why many products state they are packed by weight not volume. Because total weight is a far more accurate measurement at times. That being said the moisture content of soil will significantly increase the weight of it. Anyways I had a few cookies and now my mind is debating how to accurately measure soil. Lmao Thanks

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha! That's awesome , thanks for the tip man I'll keep that in mind when measuring out the dirt

In a perfect world, we'd all be measuring our soil by the acre.

Comment

Jeezusjuiicee
      If I remember right, 7 cups of soil is 1 gallon.
      "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        thats a great thing to know, thats volume to weight

• Californiakid
        Californiakid commented
        Editing a comment
        Gardening with kids is like gardening while drinking. Lol

A little distraction and whoops. I swear babies and toddlers rob my brain to strengthen theirs. Hahaha

• Redwasp
        Redwasp commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I had my grandson all weekend. Was an awesome time. But yes all the questions. Lmao

If we are being that specific its 16. But who is counting. Lol

Comment

My wife does all the baking so I dont worry with measurements. Only thing I keep track of is the temp of my grill when smoking meats. Oh and jars left full. Lmao

Comment

Hahaha. Thanks Californiakid

Comment

If you were to fill that same Home Depot bucket with virtual particles would that be a gallon too? Or would they annihilate, and you'd have a gallon of Hawking Radiation? huh huh huh?

Sorry....I'm just euphoric about my newly found seeds!
            Last edited by starramus; 10-15-2018, 09:17 PM. Reason: utterly euphoric!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X