Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could gallon water jugs cut in half be used as intermediate pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Could gallon water jugs cut in half be used as intermediate pots?

Starting my grow soon. Going to grow in coco/perlite mix. Originally planned on simply germinating in final 5-gal smart pot but have since been convinced that's not a good idea. So plan changed to germinate in the small fabric bags (7cm x 9cm) with coco mix, then go to final pot. But that too seems wrong from what I'm reading here on forum. It seems an intermediate size pot around a half gallon is necessary.

This brings up two questions.

First, can gallon water jugs cut in half with the bottom well perforated be used as intermediate pots? My budget is taped out after purchasing all of my equipment/supplies and have 3 or 4 for of these on hand.

Second, what is the reasoning for not going from small bag/solo cup to final pot? I'm sure it has something to do with root development. My thoughts about going from germination/seedling to final pot was to prevent as much handling as possible. I've never been able to grow anything in my life before. Very brown thumb. I'm only attempting this after years of reading about how to do it and countless numbers of people that have had successful grows.

Please let me know if I'm off base with the water jug idea and if you know why an intermediate size pot is necessary. Thanks.

first of all dont use fabric pots/bags for young plants that you will transplant later, the tips of the roots get caught in the fabric and rip apart when you transplant stressing the plant. now ill try to explain why stepped sizes;

imagine a seed trowing roots from the center of the pot, the roots grow in all directions all around and towards the bottom, they expand in straight line growing like a sphere, so when they reach a limit, like the edge of the pot, they keep growing on that edge and intertwine with eachother to form a sort of "wall" where the soil contacts the pot. this wall of roots is denser and stronger than the roots close to the center of the pot. thats why the root ball keeps the shape of the pot when you transplant. anyway now imagine that wall in a solo cup, then you transplant to a one gallon pot, it forms the one gallon wall of roots with the solo cup ball of roots inside, then you finally transplant to a 3 or 5 or 7 gallon pot and you end up with a triple root ball. makes sense? like layers

the plant doesnt keep growing roots at the center, they grow on the edge.

Comment

Ok, think I got it. By transitioning pot sizes, the plant will be much stronger/sturdier. Suppose more roots also, thus being able to utilize water and nutrients better (at the correct NER and pH).

You're right about the jugs, they'd allow too much light. Didn't think about that. Time to dig through my wife's gardening supplies in storage to find some pots to use. As for the germination bags, the seedlings aren't removed from the bags. They're biodegradable and intended to be planted like a peat puck or rapid rooter. Liked the idea of these because I can fill them with coco mix and the plant wouldn't have to acclimate to new growing media after transplant.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        ohhh i see, those are just perfect, better than any solo cup indeed

Lots of people growing autoflowers never transplant, they start in final pots.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        thats right, autos are a whole other story

If you want to use the jugs just wrap them with foil or spray paint the outside with a dark color.
      Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
      Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
      36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
      4 bulb T5's for Veg.
      2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
      IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
      3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        haha thats genius, even duct tape will work

Good idea about painting and foil. Have both on hand.

Have since thought about transplanting autos and don't really like the idea. They have such a short vegetative period and want them well established within 2 weeks after seedling for what I'm planning on doing to them next.

As for germination in final pot, think I'll try that on the next cycle, have some free seeds coming with my order.

As a engineer I know it's bad to play around with more than one variable at a time but, also going to top my autos around day 15 along with LST after. Growing mostly Sativa strains and want to keep everything as even as possible, though each plant will have is own dedicated LED panel. Will be able to accommodate different heights if need be.

Thanks for the ideas on the plastic jugs.

Comment

Your growing timeline will increase with each adjustment u make, some more than others. .02$

Comment

Fair enough. Understand there'll be recovery time involved especially when topping the plants. Only plan on doing this once at the fourth node to break (can't remember the term) the tendency for one central cola. Will use LST to open everything up for better light penetration and airflow.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            apical dominance (;

• MrStoker
            MrStoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I was close but wanted to write capical. Just didn't look right. Lol

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            i always forget the right term when im trying to explain something, i double check before posting important information in here, mostly when its about chemistry and biology, memory is not reliable, i do come across like a forgetful stoner in person haha

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X