Harvest & Newb help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest & Newb help, please

This is by far my best indoor grow yet, been indoors 1yr. I have pulled 2 plants early, one for bud rot & the other for mold. I clipped out infected buds & harvested early as suggested by a few others. I'm now watching the remaining plants hoping to get them stronger as I use for pain. This is my first time using a digital microscope to look at the tricomes, attaching pics. Would appreciate any advice.

Can a plant be pollinated by two other nearby plants? And could this cause the seeds from the pollinated female to grow 2 different strains?

Tent Grow: plants from a mix of seeds on hand in my own composted soil in air pots. I gave them light supplements throughout with ph balanced well water.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PB1.1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	253989Click image for larger version

Name:	PB1.3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	253990Click image for larger version

Name:	PB2.1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	800.8 KB
ID:	253991Click image for larger version

Name:	PB2.2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	253992Click image for larger version

Name:	TTB 1.1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	253993Click image for larger version

Name:	TTB 1.2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	253994Click image for larger version

Name:	WB 1.1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	901.4 KB
ID:	253995Click image for larger version

Name:	WB 1.2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	797.5 KB
ID:	253996Click image for larger version

Name:	WB 1.3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	477.9 KB
ID:	253997
    Last edited by GlitterFarm; 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM. Reason: More pictures!
    "Not all that glitters is gold, not all that is sticky is tar." proverb ☮☮☮

So those deffiently aren't ready to harvest imo. They all look clear. They should be around 50% cloudy/50% amber i think. I mean that just for like a balanced effect or whatever. And to answer your question about pollination, yes, they can be pollinated. So unless you want that to happen i would move them or chop them. Idk. That's up to you. But super good pics btw. You should show the whole plant! 😊 anyways, good luck.

juicy
    “Pounds of weed. Sour D. That medical for my allergies.” - Juicy J

Second Grow:

Sweet Tooth Autos (4)
    192w t5 (veg) 400w HPS (flwr) 24/0hr
    3 Gal Smart Pots
    FoxFarm Trio
    +Open Sesame
    +Cha-Chang
    +CaliMagic

First grow:

150w hps hydro grow (DIY)

Current Grow:

(1) new420guy Black Domina and P98 Bubba Kush
    192w t5
    Rapid Rooter/Jiffy-Pot/5 Gal Smart Pot
    FF BushDoctor Coco-Loco
    FF Nutrient Trio + CaliMagic

Comment

Hi Glitter, If you have a male plant around, it can and will pollenate other plants.

A plant is going to produce seeds that are genetically the same.

I personally wouldn't wait until 50% of the trichomes are amber--that's a bit too much CBN for me. But if most are cloudy with just a few clear, that's a good window.
      Last edited by alltatup; 10-08-2018, 01:43 PM. Reason: To clarify
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Potted
        Potted commented
        Editing a comment
        Dille, Dillie, mostly cloudy with a touch of clear, if u wait for amber the more couch locked it becomes 😁

• Juicyj89
        Juicyj89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Juicyj89 It wasn't a personal comment: just my preference. I changed the wording from "degradation" (of THC into CBN) and just used CBN. Ain't tryna offend nobody...

Thank you both. I will attach more pics too because there are multiple plants in tent at different stages, I believe. The early pulls give you a light high which I like because I can still get things done but it doesn't last. I need something stronger for days when the pain thinks it's in control so I take daily pics hoping to catch them before the amber, lil too heavy for me

The reason I asked about POLLINATION is I have seeds from last years oops harvest that are producing what looks like 2 different plants/strains. Here's what occurred last year:
      I was gifted 2 clones to help me on my way. I was told they were Cough Ghost & Blue Dream, I had them in smart pots mixed in vegetable garden, they were growing lovely but I knew more about vegetable & flower gardening & treated them as such, mistake. Meanwhile neighbors were each growing unknown seeds outside, with a male that got past them mixed in. Eventually both my plants were looking beautiful but ended up going hermies on me, possibly from nearby male. But both females both produced pollen next to each other. We harvested mine, smoked it & saved the seeds from both plants in separate containers for this year. Fast forward, the seeds from 1 plant produced nothing. The seeds from the other grew great & gave us 75% female plants but they are producing what looks like 2 different strains. Some of them are producing pretty purple buds like the blue dream, the others are green but the buds are so covered in tricomes they are looking white. The seeds all came from the same plant but it was exposed to two different strains pollen plus it's own, could 1 strain produce different strains if pollinated by 2 different strains? Does this make sense?

Comment

Hmm. I see what youre saying there. And personally idk. I mean it seems like they could. You could probably sprinkle different pollen on different places on a plant and it would make seeds?? but each would be different due to the different pollen?? Idk. Seems logical. But im sure someone knows for sure.
      “Pounds of weed. Sour D. That medical for my allergies.” - Juicy J

Second Grow:

Sweet Tooth Autos (4)
      192w t5 (veg) 400w HPS (flwr) 24/0hr
      3 Gal Smart Pots
      FoxFarm Trio
      +Open Sesame
      +Cha-Chang
      +CaliMagic

First grow:

150w hps hydro grow (DIY)

Current Grow:

(1) new420guy Black Domina and P98 Bubba Kush
      192w t5
      Rapid Rooter/Jiffy-Pot/5 Gal Smart Pot
      FF BushDoctor Coco-Loco
      FF Nutrient Trio + CaliMagic

Comment

I would kill any plant that could even remotely be a hermy. Nothing worse than a gorgeous plant on the outside and nothing but seeds on the inside. Unless you meant to do that .

Comment

• GrowMeTrichomes
          GrowMeTrichomes commented
          Editing a comment
          And btw beautiful plants you have going

• GlitterFarm
          GlitterFarm commented
          Editing a comment
          ttfs. Cross pollination was an accident last year which resulted in decent high but seeds too. If you look at my other post above it explains in detail my pollination question. All current plants are female & I check the neighbors too now.

I have taken more tricome pictures, I feel I am seeing changes. The purple buds seem to be further along? I appreciate any thoughts ☮

Name:	frosty3.jpg
Size:	770.2 KB
ID:	256176Click image for larger version

Name:	ukb1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	256177Click image for larger version

Name:	frosty1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	256178Click image for larger version

Name:	ukb2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	256179Click image for larger version

Name:	frostyP.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	957.1 KB
ID:	256180Click image for larger version

Name:	pba.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	256181Click image for larger version

Name:	pbb.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	256182Click image for larger version

Name:	pbc.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	256183

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          GlitterFarm Awesome pics!! What did you use to take the trichome pictures? I see a mixture of cloudy and clear, is that what you're seeing?

When do you usually harvest? Do you like to see a lot of amber? All cloudy? Mix of cloudy/clear?

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          first of all wow beautiful buds beautifull healthy plants, great pictures. yes the purple in pic 5 and trichomes in pic 6 looks like ready to harvest TODAY. the others id say maybe a week tops, the calyxes just have to plump to be fat and heavy like the purple one

I agree, the purple ones look a little further along. The amber trichomes on the leaves are a good sign. Watch for the calyx ones to turn next. Aren't those purple stemmed trichs cool!?
        FFOF +extra castings, compost, coco
        Veg 8 bulb T5 (blue)
        Flower 600w HPS
        alfalfa meal, bone meal, FF Big Bloom, Down-to-Earth Liquid Bloom
        1st grow White Widow
        Now growing GG4 auto and photo

Comment

Great pictures, What did you take those pics with ?
          In the last 3-4 pictures, I see some amber, but still alot of clear, too.
          1 more week, and she will be fine. Imo.
          Nice job.
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

Thank you alltat, tori, daas, your words of wisdom are much appreciated. I grew up gardening flowers & vegetables. Also participated in some stealth grows over the years but I have only been growing indoors for a year, mostly practice 😆 I wouldn't call prior harvests successful. This is my best grow yet, due to gwe & lurking here. I'm not positive exactly what I want from the harvest, I had been judging by what I have read so I will take any advice. I went off most of my prescriptions & am looking for help with intense pain & anxiety to start with.
            When I look at the series of pictures I see cloudiness at 50/50, with the purps looking further to me too.

I bought the Carson zOrb to take tricome pictures because the jewelers loop wasn't helping me. I almost sent it back because it was impossible for me to get a good pic until I went high-tech, I taped it to my old tripod. Make sure you tape it down well but not the top that you use to focus with. I used painters tape because it doesn't leave stickiness & I found it best to tape the chord behind so it doesn't get in my pics. I hook it to my tablet, shoot away & pick my faves. I love taking pictures & the tricomes fascinate me, they're beautiful.

Here's my gadget: Click image for larger version

Name:	zOrb1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	256310Click image for larger version

Name:	zOrb2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	256311Click image for larger version

Name:	zOrb3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	928.5 KB
ID:	256312

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              LurkingInTheGrass Around a year ago I also discovered that adding a good dose of CBD to my beloved THC was really, really good for my anxiety. That's right after I got my Ardent Nova decarb machine and started making tinctures. I would dose early in the morning, enjoy the high hours before I had to go to work, and then feel nicely sedated and chilled at work all day.
              I love high THC tincture; I've never tried a long-term experiment with low THC/highCBD, but I have some Nordle tincture I made that's around 9% CBD and THC. I never took it consistently, but I'm gonna experiment for a few weeks by taking it in the morning.

• LurkingInTheGrass
              LurkingInTheGrass commented
              Editing a comment
              alltatup I would sub that thread (experiment) if you felt comfortable sharing

• GlitterFarm
              GlitterFarm commented
              Editing a comment
              I would definitely be interested in your experiments as I have pain & anxiety too. As soon as I have enough to play with I will be asking for your tincture recipes, my dr friend highly recommended making my own as opposed to the sad offerings at the dispensary. ☮

I have a question. My trichomes are not quite ready for harvest and I'm running into a mold problem outdoors. My question is if I cut the branches with the non moulding buds and place them in water and bring them indoors under CFLs, will the trichomes mature? I've noticed when I take a clone from a flowering female that the trichomes seem to turn amber after awhile.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              thats an interesting idea, never thought of that before. the thing with amber trichomes is that its an inevitable process, oxygen in the air will turn those trichomes amber after drying and curing no matter what. the idea behind harvesting when the amber starts to appear its because you want those trichomes to be as full of cannabinoids as possible so right before they start to oxidize its preferred, this also allows the bud to grow as big as possible before cutting down. if you are removing the branches from the roots the shock may be too much too close to harvest to be worthwhile

Thanks for the reply. I'm just concerned that I'm gonna check on it one morning and the whole plant is ruined. I'll probably try my idea with some and leave some and hope for the best. Atleast I would be saving some that would be smokeable. Do you think by cutting some branches would send the plant itself into shock to where the remaining bud will ruin?
            Last edited by Spidermouse; 10-08-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
              9fingerleafs commented
              Editing a comment
              i would just harvest the entire plant, dry enjoy and start a new grow, amber or not it can still be great smoke, some people like to harvest early, less sleepy high and more energetic

• GlitterFarm
              GlitterFarm commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to harvest 2 plants early, between my apt flooding & my ac being struck by lightening my biggest plant had mold. I removed the first bad bud but found more mold with my microscope so I harvested the bud without mold, the tricomes were just 50% cloudy but it's a nice energetic high. Luckily I have 2 clones off Bertha, expecting good things if I can get them to harvest without mold. Good luck, Spidermouse. ☮

Going on 8 week of flower with indica. It's just taking her it seems like forever to turn amber.

Comment

Well I have a couple plants, so I pulled a bud off both of them and used the oven dry method. The one with mould issue definitely got my heart beating with no couch lock, so yeah it's gonna be energetic. The other one from the same mother plant from seeds grew totally different, looks like it one budded itself on each of its 5 stems, and it really kicked me.. Made my knees squirrelly when walking. I'm glad that one is mould free! So thanks for the advise, and tomorrow will be harvest for both..

Comment

Finally had a chance to take new pictures. I plan to harvest both of the purple bud plants tomorrow, unless you think I'm off on that.

Name:	P1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	257673Click image for larger version

Name:	P1 T1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	257674Click image for larger version

Name:	P1 T2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	257675Click image for larger version

Name:	P2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	257676Click image for larger version

Name:	P2 T1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	257677

I see various changes in the other 3 plants but I also see new pistals coming off some buds. I'm thinking between the flood & the ac getting fried, thats what's causing this new growth?

Name:	W1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	257678Click image for larger version

Name:	W1 T1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	257679Click image for larger version

Name:	UK1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	257680Click image for larger version

Name:	ukb1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	257681Click image for larger version

Name:	ukb2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	257682Click image for larger version

Name:	TTB1.jpg
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	257683Click image for larger version

Name:	TTB1 T1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	257684

I have been flushing them with water & the lights at 10/14. Should I be doing anything else at this point? Thank you 😊

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i agree with ATU those trichs look just perfect, the flush on that yellowing plant is on point, ive never been able to flush that uniformly, overall everything looks perfect, like she said new pistils keep on growing all the time dont worry about it. the most important sign of readyness is how the calyxes get plump and fat, the flower looks just packed, its not mentioned a lot because at first you cant notice it, W1 and P1 look a bit more ripe than TB1 if you judge by calyx swelling

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  9fingerleafs Good tip about the calyxes! I've been observing the development process of the buds very closely on this grow, noticing things I didn't before. I have been looking at the calyxes under a magnifying glass. Will look for swelling in 3-3.5 weeks.

• GlitterFarm
                  GlitterFarm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for helping. Since this has been my best grow yet I want to get the best out of it. I will take all the advice I can get as I have someone who kept trying to harvest early, I appeased them with the plant I had to pull early but the buds were fluffy. Going to start my harvest today with the purples. I like to be functional unless I'm in extreme pain & then I like to forget the world 😎

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X