• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need expertise about HPS bulb

Hi

my English is not good, sorry.

I'm a first time grower and have a question about HPS light,

Can I grow weed from seedling until harvest using 400W HPS bulb is made for Highway, Shopping center, Sidewalks etc.
    and if its possible what Average Yields should i expect?
    I've checked, but everybody using HPS/MH made for vegetative and flowering. so if you know please help me.

lumen 48,000
    CRI 22
    Bulb T46

Thank you

omidm ,400watt hps, yes you can use it the whole grow, MetalHalide might do a little better in veg, but if that's all you got, it will work fine.
    Yield depends on what plants your growing, and if your gonna train them.
    Your English is just as good as mine I bet. Where you from ?
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Yes man if you want to just get started go for it HPS will work fine. 10 ounces from one 400 watt hps per crop is possible. Up to 4 crops a year.
      ​​

Comment

You should really start seedlings under lower wattage lights. Cfls, t5s, household led desk lamp etc. You will get better growth imho. I wait up to 2 weeks before I put my seedlings under mh/hps and get some big plants.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.A.S.69 View Post
          omidm ,400watt hps, yes you can use it the whole grow, MetalHalide might do a little better in veg, but if that's all you got, it will work fine.
          Yield depends on what plants your growing, and if your gonna train them.
          Your English is just as good as mine I bet. Where you from ?
          Originally posted by Chefbjy View Post
          You should really start seedlings under lower wattage lights. Cfls, t5s, household led desk lamp etc. You will get better growth imho. I wait up to 2 weeks before I put my seedlings under mh/hps and get some big plants.
          Originally posted by Smokesteve View Post
          Yes man if you want to just get started go for it HPS will work fine. 10 ounces from one 400 watt hps per crop is possible. Up to 4 crops a year.
          ??
          I appreciate your responds, I wonder is HPS bulb made for Highways usage and greenhouse are the same or not?
          Do I get good yields result if I grow weed under HPS bulb has been made for public area usage?

again sorry for my English

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            My first grow was a factory light 400w made for ware houses. I was pulling 6 oz every 3 months from it easy.
            The short answer is yes, this light will work. A bit over kill for seedlings, you will need to raise the light 2-3 feet above the plant at first when they are small. But you can grow from start to finish with it if that all that is in the budget.
            Now after a few years of growing, you will find MH is a better option for veg, and that MH/HPS bulbs specifically designed for plants will give the best results.
            I say for right now, get a few grows under your belt... and if you can afford a 400w MH bulb for veg. Get one. I think plant max makes a decent cheap bulb that is specifically designed for plants.

Yes the light should be the same. But ask DrPhoton

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s not. The bulbs designed for plants are engineered to be with in a very specific color spectrum. The hortilux bulb is choice for growers using HPS because it is rich in the blue spectrum. Most street lights and ware house lights do not care as much about color spectrum and there fore do not put much time/$$$/effort into designing their bulbs to output in that range. That being said, you can grow off any old HPS, but the quality and quantity (overall plant happiness) is determined by the light spectrum the plant receives. If you are doing a side by side comparison, the trics on a plant that has endured HPS that has more blue will be far superior than the ones that have less blue spectrum.

I think people here have made good suggestions so far.

Bulb products for commercial visual lighting applications are different from products made for horticulture. So yes there is going to be a difference, mostly in efficiency. The spectrum of the bulbs are not that different and usually contain very little blue. Even with horticulture products, which is why it is not ideal to use HPS during vegetation as plants have a better morphology with at least some level of blue (at least 10%). HPS can only reach about 5% blue. Some street lamps are low pressure sodium, which are monochromatic lights with a fixed output in one color. They have even less photon efficiency so should be avoided.

This however does not mean you cannot grow with HPS for the entire grow, many including myself have done so. But it will not be as effective as a proper vegging light such as fluorescent, metal halide or LED.

Personally i would use lower powered light sources such as fluorescent or LED to start plants with and then use a horticulture bulb for vegging rather than those visual lighting products, the loss of efficiency would not be worth the trouble. But if thats what you have then by all means use them.

Written Articles:
          Light Metric Systems
          Using Light Efficiently
          The Light Cycle Debate
          Environment Conditions
          Grow Light Technologies
          How To Compare Grow Lights
          To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
          Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
          Facebook
          Twitter
          Instagram

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X