CHILLAX – CHILLed Alcohol eXtraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CHILLAX – CHILLed Alcohol eXtraction

This method seems pretty easy to do, has anyone tried it?
    Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
    Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
    36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
    4 bulb T5's for Veg.
    2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
    IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
    3 Gallon fabric pots.

If you mean making tinctures in the freezer than yes. Very effective. alltatup is far more experienced with tinctures than me

Comment

• uncledoug
      uncledoug commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Redwasp. The method was in Sundays GWE news letter, it's a method to make hash oil, maybe were talking about the same thing. Not sure. Hopefully she alltatup will post on this.

• Redwasp
      Redwasp commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I've been so busy I didnt read this weeks letter yet. But dont think it's the same. Kids been doing crazy things like getting my cars towed from the college campus. Lol

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Redwasp Spare the rod and spoil the child. Get after them with a switch!! ;-}

uncledoug That extraction looked way too green to me. You won't get a really good extraction for vaporizing or smoking unless you follow steps for preventing chlorophyll etc. from getting into your trichome infusion.

Here's what I do (or see this guy--he's a mad genius: https://extractcrafter.com ) I did get the Source machine for making concentrates, but if you have a cool enough place to evaporate the alcohol, you can do it that way; the Source recycles the alcohol, which is definitely a point in its favor if you're making lots of concentrate.)

MAKING CONCENTRATE
    1. DECARBOXYLATION: If you decarb beforehand, the only form your concentrate will take is a sap form.
    2. Make sure cannabis is completely dry, but over-dry bud is no good.
    3. Freeze buds and EC separately overnight.
    4. Handling buds: The vast majority of the THC, CBD, terpenes, etc., is on the outside surface of the plant so there’s no reason to break up the cannabis too much; never grind it. If the EC can easily flow over and around all the material that’s what’s important.
    5. To get something smooth, fragrant, and nicely vapable, a quick washwill restrict the chlorophyll and wax residue from leaking into the solution.
    6. I place the cannabis inside of rosin bags (Korlor420 silk bags) in the alcohol and gently agitate throughout the day. I get a beautiful yellow tincture this way, and I give the bud a 2nd wash.
    7. Freezing combined cannabis and EC to prevent plant matter from infusing:Fats, lipids and chlorophyll are undesirable for concentrates intended for smoking. Therefore, to craft a pure yellow concentrate, the undesirable plant components must be neutralized by freezing and the alcohol must be super-cooled to keep them frozen during the wash. In simple terms, when the plant material is frozen and the ethanol temperature is below freezing, the ethanol and undesirable materials are unable to latch onto each other and the undesirables stay with the plant matter when the freezing ethanol is strained away, ideally leaving only terpenes and cannabinoids in the wash.
    8. Better starting material can handle more agitation than poor starting material.
    9. Filtering/Straining:How throughly the solution is strained determines how much particle residue remains in the final product. For smoking in vape pens or doing dabs, thorough and repeated filtering is required and makes the finest product. Strive for a well-filtered, crystal clear, light golden color with no trace of a green hue.
    10. When using rosin bag, suspend it and allow the liquid to drip when straining; do not squeeze.
    11. With the plant matter removed we still want more filtering to remove all the small particles from the ethanol. It’s very important to understand that the better you filter, the better your final product will be. A few coffee filters can be used, but for best results a proper filter like the Buchner funnel and flask would be best. Repeat the filtering until you have a crystal clear ethanol solution.
    12. Final stage of purge:Stay close to the machine in the final stage; the change happens quickly. As the last of the alcohol is being boiled off, you will hear a crackling sound from the oil and you will see rapid bubbling.
    13. Terpenes: 1 drop per gram
    14. Use MCT to liquify oil: cleanest and safest liquidizer.

Winterizing or removing impurities from concentrate:
    A concentrate made with alcohol may contain other non-cannabinoid ingredients such as waxes, fats and lipid. To get rid of these impurities, re-dissolve the concentrate in EC and freeze for 48 hours. The impurities will start to coagulate and will clump togetherand then you can use an unbleached coffee filter or a fine steel-mesh screen to strain your concentrate.
    After filtering you will evaporate off at a very, very low temperature the excess ethanol and be left with a clean concentrate.
    Last edited by alltatup; 09-23-2018, 03:54 AM.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Uncle cant wait to hear how it turns out. What u using to filter?

• uncledoug
      uncledoug commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup I'm using unbleached coffee filters,I ordered a rosin bag this morning so I'll try it on the next batch. Do you toss the bud when done or can it be used for something else?

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      uncledoug I toss the bud, but I learned about the rosin bags from this guy who was on the forum who said he grinds up the bud when it's dried out and puts it in yogurt. Waste not, want not, I guess; I just can't bring myself to do that...

But like I said, I do a second wash after I've strained the first go-round, and there is still quite a bit of stuff lurking around on the second wash. The bud is sticky when I touch it after the first wash, but not after the second wash, which is much faster.

alltatup , Thank you very much for the directions, I'll check Amazon for a Source Machine. Just looked on Amazon, $600.00 guess I'll have to wait on that. I'm going to try it out in the next couple of weeks, "only 1 week cure on my last grow". I'll make a post when doing it.
    Thanks again for taking the time to help me.
    Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
    36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
    4 bulb T5's for Veg.
    3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

uncledoug Glad to help; do you have a decarb machine? The Ardent Nova is around $200, and I got my Source Extractor on ebay and saved $100. They are a big investment for me, but I want to make really good concentrate. Gotta harvest and dry some bud first...

If you want to make wax for rigs and vape pens rather than a "sappier, oilier" RSO-type concentrate (better for making vape juice), DO NOT decarb the bud before you freeze it and steep it in alcohol. Just dry the buds completely before freezing them.

And you don't need the Source to make an oil or a wax. The first time I made concentrate was last winter, and I left the tincture in a small, dark bathroom w/ window open and fan blowing and the Everclear evaporated in a couple of days. But for making kick ass strong tincture, ain't nothin like the Ardent Nova for decarbing bud precisely and preserving the terpenes.

This is tincture I made using the rosin press bags for putting the frozen buds in frozen Everclear 190.The yellow tincture sat all day in freezer with occasional agitation; the smaller greener jar is the second wash I gave the buds.

Then I took some of the tincture and reduced it in the Source machine:

and made vape juice:

The first tincture I made last year was called 8 ball (cuz it had 8 different strains in it). Since I was taking it under my tongue, I didn't mind the chlorophyll and other plant matter being there, so I soaked the buds directly in the Everclear. And it was the shit, amazing: all different hybrids mixed together with all their intoxicating terpenes. I gotta make that again, so I gotta repeat that grow.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	250191

Attached Files
      Last edited by alltatup; 09-18-2018, 04:12 PM.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• uncledoug
        uncledoug commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup No I don't have a decarb machine. Maybe next year. So the reason you say not to decarb before freezing and steep it in alcohol is because I'll be smoking rather than ingesting?

uncledoug Yeah, you want a really clean product to smoke or vape that isn't harsh due to presence of plant matter/chlorophyll--just like if you smoke freshly-dried bud, it's very harsh cuz it hasn't been cured yet.

So WAX (lighter) is good to dab and vape:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	9.0 KB ID:	250264

and oil (darker) is better for ingesting.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	29.0 KB ID:	250265

Once again: Bud for wax should not be decarbed before alcohol wash; bud for oil should be decarbed before making tincture and evaporating the alcohol. Just remember to have excellent air circulation if you're evaporating Everclear in the house. Never make RSO over a gas stove: way too combustable.
      Last edited by alltatup; 09-18-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• uncledoug
        uncledoug commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you again @allatup you're the best.

One of these days I'll spring for the time to go to the AllTatup School of making good MJ products.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Aw shucks guys, you are welcome any time. Nothing will stand in the way of our creating powerful medicines!!!

• uncledoug
        uncledoug commented
        Editing a comment
        @allatup, Well my 1st try went well but sure I can do better with this next batch. Got about 3.5 grams out of 16 grams. When doing a 2nd wash do you use fresh EC?

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        uncledoug Yes, because the first wash is saturated with the good stuff, and I don't want to make it greener. So I use as little new EC as possible.

alltatup, Figured but wanted to be sure. Thank you. I'll post a couple pictures when I'm done.
      Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
      36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
      4 bulb T5's for Veg.
      3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X