Getting right down to it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Getting right down to it

Now that I’ve been at this for a while, and have had some pretty impressive results, it’s time to get serious. I’ve done Northern Lights that tested over 29% total THC. And my last grow was Critical that tested at just over 24%. I am fortunate to have a lab relatively close that doesn’t break the bank.

Now I’m going to try to really get this down. For background, I’m in a 4’x 4’ x 80” tent using 600w MH/HPS with 2, 300w Roledro COB LEDs to augment the HPS during flower. I have a brand new Sun Systems sealed/ventilated hood that I am running my iPower 4” 190 cfm fan through and dumping the exhaust out a window and I still have trouble with heat. I struggle to keep the temperature between 80 to 85. I know that is high but I have to draw the line somewhere since electricity is my major expense. I’m growing in a DWC set up using RO and I do one plant at a time so that one plant gets all of my attention. I use GH Flora Trio nutrients with CaliMagic and HydroGuard. During past grows I’ve pretty much followed the feed chart found here on GWE and closey monitored PH with total disregard for ppm and always topped off with plain water. With nutrients at this relatively low level I experienced tip browning that was attributed here to nutrient burn which I am finding difficult to believe since my ppm’s we’re well under 500.

Recently I purchased a Blue Labs combometer so now I have access to a quality ppm meter. My current grow is a little Jack Herer girl that is entering week 12. So the stretch is over. All of this being said, during my last nutrient change, with everything in and ph set at 6.0, my ppm was 470 which is pretty low from what I’ve been able to gather these last couple of weeks. Today, during this week’s change I kicked it up to 640 ppm and intend to continue to bump it up throughout the remainder of this grow.

I’m always interested in hearing others experience. In this case, as it relates to utilizing ppm to monitor nutrient levels and uptake.

Be well fellow growers.

I'd love to see the JH girl!! This doesn't exactly correspond to what you want to hear back, but I follow Nebula's advice to lower the nutes during the second half of flowering, and my plants always appreciate a 24-hour flush.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Do you monitor ppm? Even here at GWE there is an article that states ppm in a DWC reservoir should be between 400 - 1000. If you follow Nebula’s feed chart as I have and check ppm you will find that we never even approach 1000 ppm. You can find numerous testimonials from growers that are working at levels at or near 1000 ppm. So my intentions are to work my way up to something near 1000 ppm during the remaining 4 weeks of this grow.

Tonight after lights out I’ll take some shots of my Jack and post them for you.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Pops, No, I haven't monitored ppm yet: it's a branch of learning I haven't got to. (On my current grow, I'm working on doing defoliation correctly.)

But speaking of nute ppm levels, I've also been braver with nutes on my current grow. Nebula doesn't list the nutes I use (Adv. Nutes). I talked to the AN guy on the phone a couple of times (very helpful), and I am getting better at using them to the plants' advantage.

I'll see if I can remember to check ppm tomorrow, unless hurricane Florence hits and knocks out the electricity. Then I'll be draining out most of the reservoir, spraying the roots, and keeping to 12/12 tho they may not get much light.

Hope that works out for you. Be safe and good luck. 🍀👍

Comment

Hope that works out for you. Be safe and good luck. 🍀👍

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          So far, so good. We'll be ok; we've got tropical storm conditions right now.

Hey alltatup, you wanted to see my Jack Here plant. Well here she is. Week 13 and running 1000 ppm in today’s nutrient change. So far she’s really liking the high levels of nutrients I’m feeding her.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          OH. WOW. Who's the breeder? She is stunningly, breathtakingly gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

It's always a good idea to monitor tds. You can gradually work your way up to that goal. Measuring ppm and ec are great tools to keep you from burning your plants. I have seen ec fairly high in flowering without tip burn in soil, but have yet to run hydro. You will want to bring it back down gradually in the last week before flush. Here's a great guide by Campesino he loves talking ec. https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...u-need-to-know
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X