Root rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root rot

I had to go back to soil grows because i tried 2 grows in hydro and got root rot in both of them. I used hydro guard and the flora bloom trio. The grows started out great with bright white root balls then when i switched to flower the problems began. My ppm was always in the 420- 450 ppm ranges and i changed the water weekly. The ph i kept around 6. The only thing i can figure was the water temp. Seems that mine stayed in the low to mid 80's. I tried floating frozen water bottles in my tank but it seems the roots started geeting dull in color ,turn somewhat yellowish and my plants would die. I kept reading where you want the water in the mid 70's. Any ideas on this matter because i would love to try it again because the grows seem to be quicker when it was doing fine. Thanks.

I keep my water temp at 68-69F, lots of bubbles, and make sure there are no light leaks into the reservoir, and I'm good to go. It seems very strange that it started in flower... I wonder why.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Smoke-a-lot
      Smoke-a-lot commented
      Editing a comment
      That was what was bother me ,why when I switched, I am using a closet with 400 Light. The closet temp stays in the 80's and I open the door often

Keeping it below 72 degrees is where you want to be. Higher than that and the oxygen dissolves too quickly.

One tip of something I like to do, depending on your setup. I keep my air pumps in the coldest place and even keep a digital thermometer next to it. This way, I know I am pumping 68 degree air in to the reservoir. I use a closet for babies so I keep the pump just outside where it gets hit directly by my A/C.

since I keep my pumps on the ground, where the coldest air is, I also use these little inline valves to ensure no water could go up the line if the power cuts and pressure changes...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Smoke-a-lot
      Smoke-a-lot commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info

Smoke-a-lot How often did you change your water resevoir? I noticed if I went for more than 7 or 10 days without changing it my water and roots would get nasty like gooey. Also I had heat problems here in Cali there is no way around the heat. So I decided I’m just going to grow hydro in the winter or cooler moths of the year and if I really have to grow in the hotter motnths I will go soil want to try organic no till but who knows so far the best buds I’ve grown have been in hydro like 3 soul grows and 2 hydro grows and none of them compare to the quality I got with 1 hydro grow. Unless you really want organic buds I’d say stick with hydro faster bigger better bud all around atleast in my experience. Also try statins that others have grown here in hydro that way you know which are way and which are picky. My best was Northern Lights from nirvana. I’ve done aurora twice and either it’s the pheno or I can’t get that one right. Disappointed me so far..

Comment

• Smoke-a-lot
      Smoke-a-lot commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info,I live in the South East so I have debated on just trying Hydro in the winter because like you there isn't much I can do about the heat here

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      White Widow by Dutch Passion (a cup winner) is also an incredibly hardy plant. Of course, root rot will kick any plant's butt. Your plan to grow both indoors and outdoors is a good one. I gotta grow indoors where I live.

Hey Smoke welcome to the dirt growers. Don't buy that nutrient enriched soil - you will have problems somewhere along your grow. Promix HP with M is what I use - easy easy.
    Also - use a fabric pot. Guaranteed no root rot. I use a 3 gallon Geopot with handles. Fabric pots air prune the roots as they push their way out the sides and bottom. So make sure you have a riser of some kind. Good luck growing.

Plus - you can take your pots out of your tent for feeding and viewing.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Smoke-a-lot
      Smoke-a-lot commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks,I have done quite a few soil with good luck with Fox Farm, I was wanting to try with the Hydro, I did have 1 good grow using Hydro but that was all, the last 2 failed.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X