Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to figure out what strain it was back in the 80's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to figure out what strain it was back in the 80's.

OK this is probably a shot in the dark but, want to put it out there. Back in the 80's when I pretty much last smoked weed on regular basis, we consistently got a beautiful strain that was purple, bright orange, bright green, dark green, gold, etc. Loved the up high and euphoria that came with using it. Could use it all day and stay engaged, creative, artistic, social, etc. If was fantastic. Only problem, we never knew what to call it. We only got from this old hippie guy that'd walk about once a week with his quitar case full of it. Never have seen it since. The closest I've come up with is that it was Purple Haze. From what I've read though, Purple Haze really hasn't been grown for about 40 years and only recently resurfaced in the last decade. Can anyone give me some hint as to what it may have been? I've attached a photo found in a Google image search (hopefully ok and no copyright issues) that's really close but, the bud pictured is too dense. From what I can remember, the buds were more airy than this. Thanks.
    Last edited by MrStoker; 09-07-2018, 12:42 PM.

Check out 'High Times' - look for the older mags from the 80's
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

You may be able to find it but more than likely it will have grown much stronger. And now the buds will be harder and less airy. Back in the 70s and 80s airy buds were the norm. I dont ever remember seeing huge hard buds like we have now. Back then you got a bag and it was half shake half airy buds. Now you get all nice buds. It's just how they have been keeping the better and prettier genetics.

Comment

Looks like a decorated Christmas tree, what strain is that? Looks delicious 😋

Comment

Looks like fruit pebbles.
          You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

After doing some more reading and looking over images I guess it could have been this Rainbow Kush or Purple Haze. Could also have been something akin to Purple Skunk, that looks and reads real close to memory. Think Mr.Furley is right though, the first image found looks more like Fruity Pebbles. Just way too colorful (photo probably shopped as well). It's really hard to find any historical data on strains of yesteryear especially when the old dude probably grew it himself. He supposedly lived out in the commune north of town at the time. We'd go out to some of their big "happenings" from time to time and he'd always be there playing music (a flute, not guitar ironically...can you say Jethro Tull). Thanks for the help.

Comment

I suppose the old hippie guy would be close to 100 today. Ever try to locate him without a shovel, and a flashlight of course?

Comment

No, I haven't. While in the Navy the whole area changed. Matter of fact the commune, Rainbow Valley, is under a lake now. What used to be the hangouts around the university are either apartments or student housing. The only thing that's still there is the house with the attic apartment and its big porch/patio up in the trees. Great place to chill.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X