To hot or to dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! To hot or to dry

Lol classic problem here. I just want to know Wich one I should choose. So if I run my ac the humidity drops to like 15-20% cause of where I live. But if I run my humidifier the temp goes to like 87°f .So should I let it get hot and stay at about 40-50% rh? Or should I worry more about the temp and let it dry out in there? Haha it's a tough choice for me (1st time grower)

Is there any reason you can’t run a small humidifier and the A/C unit at the same time?

Just for clarification: are you saying that your humidifier is generating a bunch of extra heat?

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Well yea when I run my ac the rh starts dropping. Ac's pull moisture out of the air to create cool air. I don't have a swamp cooler. I did already try running both and they just fought eachother

For my first grow which just ended, I kept both running at the same time keeping 75F@40% in flower mode. My next grow will probably be kept around 80F@50% to save some money and to compare growth at different temps/humidity.
    Sour60 autos.
    3 gal grow bags 70/30 coco/perlite.
    26"x 44"x 78" tall grow area.
    2 - 300 watt HyberGrow full spectrum LEDs (actual 105watts).

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      How many BTUs is your AC? And are you in a 25 square foot room? Jw

What stage in there life are your plants, and are they clones or seedlings?
    Organic Soil,
    with molasses,
    In a Greenhouse with,
    Redneck engineering.

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
      GreenhouseEffect commented
      Editing a comment
      That 87 deg and 40-50% humidity isn't that bad for vedge.
      86 I believe, is the magic number for when it is hot'r than is good for life processes( think Dangerdan explains why) so 87 isn't terrible. The 40-50% Humidity is still a little low for seedlings( great for flowering though), but again, not that bad.
      My greenhouse has ranged 40-110 deg and 30-80% humidity before, and I still manage to grow some good bud, not ideal, but my girls have at least survived these indignity's!!

Climate control can be tricky to figure out, but it is WELL worth it, and can make for happier, healthy plants, and a better harvest.

• GreenhouseEffect
      Editing a comment
      That low humidity AND lower temp, is gonna be really sweet once they are in flowering.

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright thanks man! And yea I was thinking about how easy it will be to flower I just open the window lol! Cold and dry especially in the winter (Canada) I appreciate the info my dude 😎

I may have misread your post, I thought you were running a dehumidifier which would definitely put out some heat - about 300 watts or 1000 btu's worth for a small one. A humidifier would probably only use 1/10th that.

I use an old style 5000btu window unit controlled by an Inkbird ITC-308s with remote sensor bulb above the canopy to cool the entire 120 square foot room then use a 30-pint dehumidifier to keep it at 40%rh. Or in your case, if keeping the temps at 75F drops the humidity to 15%rh then I would use a cheap humidifier to boost it to 40% or so.

You never mentioned at what temperature you were at to achieve 15%rh. Also what type of AC do you have? As a general rule, AC's do not dehumidify as a function but rather a byproduct of cooling, once cooling is achieved it no longer cares what the humidity is. Even though some AC's may have a dehumidification setting it generally just subcools the room to attempt a happy medium for a residential human environment only.
    Sour60 autos.

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh so if I get the temp right and the AC isnt pumping so hard the humidifier would probably work better? I did only test them both at the same time when it was pretty hot and humid in there so the AC was working hard. It's an 8000 BTU LG unit that stands in the room. And my humidifier is a Vicks 4.5L it runs for like 2 days on max tho it works amazing

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      And the humidifier on max looks like someone vaping haha so it pumps good. Got it to 60% in 8 hours from 20% and the room is about 25 square feet

Jeezusjuiicee , are you saying the room with both your AC and humidifier is only 5 feet by 5 feet? also, you mentioned that you have an 8kbtu portable AC, is that a single tube or dual tube vent system? Just know that a single tube vent will suck in a fair amount of your already conditioned air for condenser cooling and blow it outside which can make for a difficult task when trying to control both temps and humidity in such a small area.
    Sour60 autos.

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      250** hahaha that would be tiny. Maybe even 200 sq ft. But yea it's a single tube that goed out the window. Do the window sitting ac's work a bit different? I didn't know they made ACs with 2 tubes! And I did a real long good test yesterday. Every time my ac kicks on it brings the temp down from 86 to 83ish but it will always drop the humidity by 3-5% so yesterday I started my ac and it was 38% humid. It would go from 38-35%RH everytime the AC kicked on. So it's do able. Today I'm gonna get the RH TO 60% Before I start my ac. Sorry this isn't important to you LOL but yea that's how it's going!

The main difference between a window unit and a single vent portable is how they handle the condenser cooling air. In a window unit, the condenser end sits outside of the room and only uses outside air to cool it, this means all the air it cools stays inside. It also means it has to work a bit harder because it is using hot outside air.

A single vent portable only has an exhaust vent so that means it has to scavenge inside air to cool the condenser then exhausts it outside along with a portion of the air you just paid to cool. Using the cool inside air makes the unit appear more efficient but then chucks it outside anyways.

I believe they do this for 2 reasons, 1 for ease of installation and 2 for a higher fake efficiency number, but it also seems they have to increase the nominal size from 5000btu to 8000btu to achieve the same amount of cooling because they are using 3000btu to cool the condenser.

Lastly, these portables can throw your entire balanced room out of kilter when they start bypassing your conventional exhaust system. In a system where you have a humidifier/dehumidifier that it is too close to the portable, all the goodness they created will be sucked straight out of the room by the portables back/side vents.
    Sour60 autos.

Comment

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Shit I should have got a window unit! But like you said ease of installation. I didn't want to cut a peace of wood to fit above the window unit and there heavy. Oh and when the sun goes down I move it into my bedroom so a window unit was out of the question haha! I originally bought this just to have an AC long before I started growing Haha. But thanks man I'll only use the AC if it's going past 90°f!

• hycheese
      hycheese commented
      Editing a comment
      Portables serve their purpose as being able to move about or not to breach an entire window, but they are only designed for creature comfort and not for "you can hide your weed in here".

My local Krogers sells window units for $99 or a yard sale one can be had for $25. Now that you know what you are up against you can plan accordingly.

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea that's true I'll definitely be looking out at garage sales good idea man! It's a good thing I live where I do tho, I only really need the AC when it's above 25°C Wich isn't to often. But it happens once or twice a week at this time a year

You may end up compromising the quality of your final product if you can't control both temp and humidity. This ain't no cheap hobby.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      hycheese BWAhahahahahahaha!!! Funny.

• Jeezusjuiicee
      Jeezusjuiicee commented
      Editing a comment
      Well it has yet to go above 90°f and below 30% RH since I got my humidifier so I think I'm doing ok! Haha

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeezusjuiicee As someone said above, the RH is a little low for seedlings, but over all your timing is good for being in flower when it'll be nice and cool outside, so easier to control the heat and the humidity for excellent flowering and bud development in the last month. Which province do you live in? I lived in Calgary for two years when I was a kid. Loved it. We used to go to Baniff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	246747

Just so you do know what the ideal drying/curing conditions are: https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-curing

The way I see it: if I'm going to try to grow top shelf bud with top shelf potency, I have to create top shelf conditions for my plants at every stage. It's what I strive for, trying not to go broke in the process.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      GreenhouseEffect I agree with you completely. You wrote that plants can handle more environmental changes than we sometimes think: I wonder if that's more true of outdoor grows than indoor?

I can totally see the differences in my plants when all my conditions are under control: humidity, ambient temp, air circulation, reservoir temp. And I've discovered that the plants grow much better when it's hot if I keep the doors to the grow boxes open, so it's more like keeping the tent flap open, I guess. The grow room is staying around 74F with the ceiling fan on, and it doesn't go much above 80 in the large box, which seems to make the girls very happy.

Not sure what I'm gonna do when they start sending out aroma: I guess just not have anyone over till after harvest...

• GreenhouseEffect
      Editing a comment
      I think it is more true of outdoor plants, and greenhouse plants, too, to some degree. My theory is that a lot has to do with the plant size, larger volumes of soil, sometimes genetics, and also having a more complete ecosystem. Beneficial insects, a constant fresh air supply, a light spectrum the plants are made for, living soil teaming with beneficial micro organisms Etc. All these things are part of how cannabis has survived, and thrived, for a very long time. When we grow indoors, many of these things have to be taken care of by us, some how. We can make that environment really good, and grow AWESOME bud in it, but it is so hard to fully replicate all of nature.

Deep thoughts, by GHE, Lol!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      It's impossible to replicate Nature, but I'ma grow indoors until I become a Strain Hunter:

For educational purposes only.Visit http://www.strainhunters.comand http://www.greenhouseseeds.nlStrain Hunters are people that can't sit still for too long....

One of the coolest videos I've watched on my favorite subject.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X