pH meters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pH meters

I have an unusual question about pH meters. I prepare my nutrient mix and pH'ed water in old (washed out) milk jugs, with the screw on caps. I have been using litmus test strips to check the pH of the solution and of the water. This method has worked fairly well, but has it's drawbacks. Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced pH pen that will fit down into the neck of a milk jug? (I told you this would be unusual!). Maybe there is a 'wand' or stick type, or one with a longer probe end on it? I would appreciate any input on the matter. Thanks in advance.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Get the ph-009 with ATC. Its pretty cheap and needs recalibration every now and then. But I would say its the best choice for your first meter. I've been using mine for a year with no problems. Once I wear it off I'll buy an expensive one.
    another thing. Don't try to adjust the equipment to your milk jugs. Get another container with easy acces so you can stir and check also PH raises naturally due to reaction with air so double check before watering

Comment

• DWC4ME
      DWC4ME commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure I understand...why can't you pour your sample from the jug to another container for testing? It doesn't have to be big at all. I use a baby food jar. ATC means automatic temperature compensation. Ph changes with water temp.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Its pretty standard size you can google it. Should be 1 inch wide at most

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      DWC4ME,
      Laziness, I guess. It seems easier to me to dip the tester into the jug than to pour into an other container, test, rinse, dry, and start over. Twelve gallons each week at the feeding and four more gallons to top off the reservoirs at midweek. But with the cost of good pH test strips going up, I just may have to do a little more work each week, after all, it is for a good cause! LOL And thanks for the clarification, I knew that the litmus reaction time varied with the temperature, but I did not even think about it effecting a meter.
      9fingerleafs,
      Thanks, I was afraid that the meters were about that size, the jugs measure just under 11/16 inch (inside).

I have a PH meter but do not use it. I found the work involved in calibrating and maintence just too much. I use the old way with the drops. If you lived here I would give you mine. I just have not found a use for it.
    Attached Files

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the offer! I really like the dual panel test strips (range 4.5 - 9.0 in .25 increments) that I have been using. The problem is (like most other things) they keep getting more expensive and harder to find.

I use 1 gal milk jugs: fill with my tap water, add my nutrients, shake. Pour some into large shot glass? Test with my BlueLab Pen ( not cheap but VERY reliable). Adjust my pH Down (for me). I now know how much to go down. I seek ph 6 as I am in coco coir. I do (when in flower) 16 gals individually. HOWEVER I know after the initial bringing down of pH that I will be using 3-3.2 ml of pH down. I can now test my 1st milk jug and then my 5th for insurance in the shot glass. Once done I pour back.
    I used to use the liquid test but depending on your light, your color read, and your additives I no longer support it- at all.
    blue lab requires initial then periodic calibration. It also requires moisture fluid in cap 1x a week. Initially I was terrified. Now..it is so worth it..another house pet.
    I strongly recommend it..it has solved so many issues for me!
    you get what you pay for!
    Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
    Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
    GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
    photoperiod feminized seeds
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Tika for your input,
      This gives me something to start with. I understand how the improper pH levels can harm the plants. During my last grow, I added the same amount of pH down (powder) that I had used the time before but I put it in all at once instead of a little at a time. I checked in on the plants later and they had wilted! I panicked, but saved them by draining the reservoir and starting over with fresh pH'ed water.
      I do not make pH changes directly in the reservoir any more, if the water in the reservoir is out of range (5.5-6.5), I drain some out and add adjusted water back until the pH is back in range.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X