Building new light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building new light

So here I go, got all my parts. This light will have 32 2' samsung lm561c light strips. They will be ran parallel and series to get the proper amps per strip. If all the specs are followed and achieved it should run just under 400 watts.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180811_151021.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	235190
    all of this will become 2 2'x4' frames with 16 strips each.
    .525 A a strip, luminous flux of 64,000 x .014= 896 PPF / 394 watts = 2.27 umols/s. I think that is correct DrPhoton would know.
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower ๐ŸŒบ
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

I would like to see the concept, i assume its going to be a oblong rectangle ? I also assume that its going to be 400 watts total so 200 watts per 2x4 fixture ?

Working out the accurate light output is a little more complex than what we have previously discussed. First theres the effeciency of the drivers, which are around 90% each. So you can take off 180umol, making it 714umols and 1.78umols per watt.

But then to make matters worse, the photon efficiency is highly dependant on several variables, such as diode temperature and drive amperage. These completely change the aspect of how efficient a fixture will be. Here is a diagram for your diode model.

Name:	Screenshot_20180812-092223_Drive.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	235200

Not to mention the optical and radiative losses.
    โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
    The luminosity per watt values that are usually provided by diode manufactureres are theoreticle values which are only achievable under unrealistic ideal conditions. So one must use the datasheet provided by manufacturers in order to calculate a realistic value.

I know you were probably just after approximate figures, however its not even an approximation. The variables make too much of a difference that it makes simple calculations unrealistic.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systemsโ€‹
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

Thank you swiftly putting me in my place. ๐Ÿ˜‚
      "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
      600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        I do believe these are the same diodes chilled is using. If that matters

• DrPhoton
        DrPhoton commented
        Editing a comment
        Not really ^.^

They use dual cooling systems for a reason, it improves the diode efficiency alot. So comparisons cannot be made.

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        Well Dan, I must say.....you really know how to shit on someone's parade ๐Ÿ˜‰

This will be great. Can I ask where the materials were sourced from?

Comment

• RosettaStoned
        RosettaStoned commented
        Editing a comment
        Digikey rapidled Amazon home depot heatsinkusa

Want to see pics when completed

Comment

Got this far today
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20180812_133059.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	235628Click image for larger version  Name:	20180812_175740.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	235629
        one 2x4 with heatsinks and strips attached with thermal adhesive tape. Next drill out marks and tap for machine screws to hold them in place. Attach the aluminum angle to the edges for a place to hang it from and also make the sheet rigid. Build a small frame for the driver to sit. Wire it up.
        Apparently I should have smoked before starting. I put one strip on backwards, or three....depends on how you look at it. Either way, now I HAVE to make the second the same. Its just the way I am. I justified not moving them because 3/4"is not going to make a difference in light output. It still drives me nuts but the mess of cleaning and scraping up the thermal tape makes me crazy too.
        Last edited by RosettaStoned; 08-12-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• DrPhoton
          DrPhoton commented
          Editing a comment
          Brilliant, do these strips have optics ?

DrPhoton
        I added the pdf of the spec sheet I used as well
        Attached Files
        Last edited by RosettaStoned; 08-12-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

One done.....that's a lot of drilling and tapping.....whew

Name:	20180815_204340.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	681.5 KB
ID:	236961Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_204404.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	800.6 KB
ID:	236964Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_204330.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	994.6 KB
ID:	236962Click image for larger version

Name:	20180815_204351.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	236963

Comment

• RosettaStoned
            RosettaStoned commented
            Editing a comment
            MrStoker
            No, it's a morsen 1000 watt. It was broken so i replaced the panel with cobs and mono LEDs. I'm sure the galaxys will work fine. I don't like them because it seems minimalist.

I do have 3 unaltered 300 watt red/blue galaxy hydros just sitting here ๐Ÿ˜‰

• MrStoker
            MrStoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah, read your posts about fixing up broken fixtures with your own LEDs. Great posts btw. On those units, did you re-use the original drivers?

• RosettaStoned
            RosettaStoned commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I did.

Finished

Name:	20180820_200232.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	239237Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_200934.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	239239Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_200348.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1,004.2 KB
ID:	239238Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_200818.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	239240
          a few days under the new lights and I see I have a learning curve to dial them in.

Comment

• DrPhoton
            DrPhoton commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea, they typically make the dome shape opticals for individual diodes or large ones for cobs. Not sure if they make optics for strips, but i know some manufacturers such as fluence do use strips and still have optics. But they may be proprietary.

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            This is really awesome ๐Ÿ˜€.

• RosettaStoned
            RosettaStoned commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Chefbjy

Mixing colors is fine, in fact its actually more efficient to use multiple spectrum diodes such as 450nm blue and warm white together rather than just a full spectrum cool white diode. The reasoning for this is a little complex, i talk about it here in this thread. Ultraviolet has been shown to help with THC production in cannabis. However you want to be careful when using UV as it has also been shown to negatively effect photosynthesis in plants and reduce yield as a result. Common practice has it that it is best used in the last weeks of flowering, usually 2-3 weeks.

Far red has not been shown to have any positive effect in plants. If used during vegetation it will negatively impair growth by stimulating photoreceptors that create elongation, leaf expansion and more. What it can do is help reduce the dark cycle in flowering to allow more light to be used during the light cycle. This is done by using far red (700-750nm) at the beginning of the dark cycle which shifts the plant into sleep quicker, so to speak. This has been shown to reduce the required dark cycle by around 2 hours. Effectively allowing the light cycle to operate at 14 hours rather than 12 hours but still induce flowering.

Infrared has no effect on plants at all, its effectively just heat. Light manufacturers sometimes use infrared to mean far red lighting. Or they really are infrared and are just advertisement gimmicks. Infrared operates over 800nm, far red is around 700-800nm.+ More Options
          Written Articles:
          Light Metric Systemsโ€‹
          Using Light Efficiently
          The Light Cycle Debate
          Environment Conditions
          Grow Light Technologies
          How To Compare Grow Lights
          To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
          Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
          Facebook
          Twitter
          Instagram

Comment

This is what I found for the strips DrPhoton
            pll2026a-linea-lenses-product-brief_rev2.pdf

Comment

• MrStoker
              MrStoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you use the lenses? After reading some of Dangerdan's articles, I've become convinced it'll be necessary to collimate the light source to more efficiently use the energy produced. Didn't know if there were optics available for LED strips so you answered one of my upcoming questions. Thanks.

• RosettaStoned
              RosettaStoned commented
              Editing a comment
              I did not. I just keep mine close to not lose as much light as possible

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X