Long term storage of bud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term storage of bud

I know I am jumping the gun a bit but, my new 300watt LED light arrives tomorrow and I am stoked. What does everybody do about long term storage after curing. I'm asking because the plan is to have multiple strains on hand at any one time. Thinking of a vacuum sealer system.
    It's not how crazy I am, but how much I enjoy it that makes me dangerous.

Coco/Perlite 60/40, GH Nutrients and Calimagic, 5 Gal Fabric pots
    Germination lights 2 30watt LEDS
    Veg and Flowering 1 600 Watt GalaxyHydro LED

Completed Grows. 1 Photoperiod and 2 Autos

Current Grows: 1 mystery Auto 71 days, 1 White Widow Auto 62 days, 1 Amnesia Auto 62 days

Mason Jars in a cool dry and dark place. I kept mine for up to two years.

Comment

• LuckyAcres
      LuckyAcres commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! Sounds like a plan! So if rh is higher would you proceed differently?

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless I had different results. No I would not.

• LuckyAcres
      LuckyAcres commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you king!

My opinion you are thinking much too hard and expensive THINK JARS. and humidity packs 62%. I like my jars they protect my nugs and yet lets me view all the nugs without exsevive handling and crush type damage. Please look at my screen name here and double check anything I say before attempting (or ask green for advice.)
    Last edited by dontknownuttin; 12-03-2016, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Bikerstonrr
      Bikerstonrr commented
      Editing a comment
      At least you admit it lol. I probably should change my screen name to 'think too much'

I'm loving both freezing in the jar and my c-vault .
    Bubblehead
    4x4 Gorilla Tent 600 watt hps and Veg Tent T5 Fluorescence
    4 Cures and a Life time gardener
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ze-these-leafs
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...female-56-days

Comment

Karlee, how do you like the cvault? Ive been thinking of getting one. Up till now i use mason jars for curing and storing. Even when i was buying street weed between harvests when out id still transfer from plastic baggie to glass mason jar and add a boveda pack if ness. Im thinking of getting the extra large one and would like your opinion please.

Comment

• Karlee
        Karlee commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the c-vault it as a humidity pack in the lid I cured on jars for 4 weeks then in the vault I bought the large one ended up putting some jars in the freezer and I like both ways..you can't smell anything in the vault it's sealed very well , I like taking the lid off and getting that good whiff LOL

The c vault looks great. On my amazon wish list lol. Looks like a set it and forget it kinda thing.

Comment

The main thing that I have found out about long term storage is DRY the buds as much as you can before long term storage. I have had bud in the freezer that developed mold or fungus, when I thawed it out, it was still damp and, I assume that this allowed the mold/fungus to develop. A friend of mine stored His cured and dried bud in vacuum bags before freezing. I have started curing the buds, in glass jars, in my refrigerator because of mold in the jars when I kept them in a dark cool closet.
        Good luck
        DW2
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, interesting!!! Of course, the longer the cure, the better. I think I got confused about drying and curing temperatures from all my reading on GWE. Sorry bout that.

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          alltatup, No apology needed. I always need all of the help and advice that I can get. I too get confused with all of the ideas and information 'floating' about. I go so far as to use 8 oz. jars instead of quart jars, because if a mold or fungi develops, I will only loose a small amount of bud (the 8 oz. jar holds around 8 to 9 grams of loose bud).
          Thanks for Your input and have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Now THAT'S a really good idea for us newbies!!! I have like 5 trillion jars of all sizes.

biker, i have the same question. have you gotten any more info or tried anything out?

karlee, i went to the c vault site and those are really cool. i have a (maybe dumb) question though. what's the advantage of the c vault w/the humidity packs over the mason jars w/the humidity packs?

"i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

• bobsakamoto
          bobsakamoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Karlee, i was wondering if you knew the answer to my question up there? i feel like it's dumb but since you're the only person i've come across that actually has a c-vault i figured you might be the one to ask. thank you!

• Karlee
          Karlee commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought the big one thinking long term storage after about 6 months in the jars. So the out come is metal nice tight seal 3 locks holding it down keeps the air and light out but I found the freezer with jar was just as good they both come out at 62 % the freezer drys faster for a one hit LOL

• bobsakamoto
          bobsakamoto commented
          Editing a comment
          thank you so much!!

Hi Bob, nothing new just what has been written.
        It's not how crazy I am, but how much I enjoy it that makes me dangerous.

Coco/Perlite 60/40, GH Nutrients and Calimagic, 5 Gal Fabric pots
        Germination lights 2 30watt LEDS
        Veg and Flowering 1 600 Watt GalaxyHydro LED

Completed Grows. 1 Photoperiod and 2 Autos

Current Grows: 1 mystery Auto 71 days, 1 White Widow Auto 62 days, 1 Amnesia Auto 62 days

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with what some folks said above: store in glass with airtight lid in cool, dark place. I recently bought some of those Boveda 62 RH packs in two sizes, both small, for different sized jars I have. They are fantastic for long term cure.

I also have one of those vacuum-seal machines, and when I am "distributing" the herb, that's how I convey it to folks--double sealed. No odor whatsoever, and no oxygen. Then it's up to them to store it properly...

• StickyFingers
          StickyFingers commented
          Editing a comment
          Merry Christmas alltatup. The first time I ever used my vacuum sealer I put a quarter lb. of bud in a bag and sucked it down tight. Not recommended..I couldn't get those buds apart with a jackhammer I think I steamed 'em and finally got them separated. My machine is made by FoodSaver. They have a cheap attachment that vacuum seals Mason jars. It works very well.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha stickyfingers, that's funny!!! I have never even used mine yet, and since I detest plastic I wouldn't use it for storage here at home. But when I was still "obtaining" last year from the outside world, I purchased some really nice strains that were all vacuum sealed--absolutely no odor till I got home and opened them. That's really what I got it for: if I'm ever moving some of my bud to the outside world...

Merry Christmas Bikerstonrr. Quart Mason jars, FoodSaver vacuum sealer with Mason jar attachment vacuum seals Mason jars. Store in cool, dark place. I still have a couple of unopened jars from 4 years ago that smell and taste the same as when sealed. I'm sure quality has suffered some with time, but if you smoked a joint of it you'd never know it was that old.
        The purpose of our lives is to be happy. Dalai Lama

Comment

• starramus
          starramus commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't forget the Boveda Humidipaks https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new Sticky I had some stored for four years as well. I think we live parallel lives. My addicted personality daughter in law helps out with the long term storage problem.

• StickyFingers
          StickyFingers commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope you're having a fine Christmas starramus. It's so dry here that if I used humidity packs I'd be adding humidity. I've never used 'em, but aren't they supposed to remove humidity, not add it? I never have problems with mold though. "My addicted personality daughter in law helps out with the long term storage problem." Does that mean she smokes all of your old dope? How kind of her. How kind of you.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X