Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Super Lemon Haze ready for to begin flushing(DWC)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this Super Lemon Haze ready for to begin flushing(DWC)?

This DWC grown plant is going on to it's 9th week of flowering and my ideal harvest window for this plant would be highest THC with some amber trichomes on the calyxes. I don't have experience growing or reading trichomes, so do my buds look like they're nearing the harvest window? I intend to harvest the entire plant at once and use the grow space as a drying closet. I've been reading up on other Super Lemon Haze grow journals, but their plants tend to look way different than mine throughout their grows(fluffy with some fox tails)

This will be my first completed grow and there's been a few errors such as the following: The grow space, fear of defoliating the lower growth, keeping the PH between 6.0 and 6.5(instead of ranging lower), way too much CAL-MAG(CALiMAGic), and not enough phosphorus. The lower growth has some cloudy and opaque trichomes, but I don't mind harvesting them on the early side with the rest of the plant.
    I know it's only 9 weeks into flowering, but it started flowering with a 12/12, then a week later that was lowered to 11/13. Then two weeks later it was lowered to 10/14 to hasten flowering(I know, I know!).

PS. I have a typo in the title and can't edit it out.

​​Thanks for any advice!
    Shade
    Last edited by Shade; 07-14-2018, 09:21 PM.

Do you have a jewlers loop? Are there some amber trichomes on the buds and not the suger leaves? The pistils look to have it in or close to the window but I always watch the trichomes. If you dont have a jewlers loop id get one. But it appears to be close if not there.

Comment

Zooming in I think i may be seeing some amber but could be just from the picture.

Comment

I would say she is ready. Good job! That's a great looking plant.
        My Perpetual Guerilla Grow - GWE forum thread.
        My Grow Journal - In a blog format.
        My Twitter Page - Follow me, I #giveaway stuff
        My YouTube Channel - Subscribe now.

Comment

How do you know that you used too much CalMag? How did you enjoy the grow overall? I am thinking about trying it.

P.S. Early, but not too early IMHO
          completed 7 grows
          what I have learned so far:
          environment maters more than nutrients
          at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
          effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• Shade
            Shade commented
            Editing a comment
            It's been easy and surprising. When it was vegging, the plant had almost nonexistent internodes. It had 5-6 sets of fan leaves at 3" tall with wide indica-like leaves. I read that Super Lemon Haze tends to have long side branching, and that was very true in this case. It was not topped or FIM'd, but when it was switched to flowering, the side branches grew rapidly to match the main cola. It took a lot of LST to control it in my tiny 1.5' x 8"(inch) x 4' grow space.

Thanks everyone! Those pictures were taken with a jeweler's loupe held to a phone's camera lens which explains the quality I admit! I have a pocket microscope with a 60x - 120x focus and LED light(link below). It's just that I didn't get it till a ~week ago and I'm new to reading trichomes.

I assumed it was too much cal-mag supplementation from reading up on different deficiencies/toxicities and their symptoms. The leaves had brown tips and huge brown splotches on them a few weeks ago. It looked like a phosphorus deficiency and that lead me to an article stating too much calcium can cause "phosphorus lock out." Definitely could be wrong!

Thanks for the encouragement SovietStoner ! This first grow had a couple surprises for me despite all the studying I tried to do beforehand . I knew a Super Lemon Haze is sativa dominant, so I initiated flowering right after 3 weeks in veg to work with a possible 300% height increase. Instead, it stretched from 3"(with 5 nodes) to 24" in the following 3 weeks! Not sure why that happened and would like to know why. I was following the feeding chart on GWE, but I wasn't watering between feeding(just feeding) or measuring PPM(yeah, I know!).
          Attached Files
          Buy Carson MicroBrite Plus 60x-120x Power LED Lighted Pocket Microscope (MM-300): Microscopes - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
          Last edited by Shade; 07-15-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Shade, nice plant and nice pictures, still looks a little early to me, but I like at least 10-20percent amber.
            Everyone is a little different about when to harvest, I know if you ever harvest early, you want ever do it again, unless an emergency comes up.
            Nice job with your plants Shade.

• Shade
            Shade commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks D.A.A.S.69 ! That's what I'm aiming for too. Just wanting to give her the time to make the best SLH buds she can. I've got another gallon of prepared nutrients(Flora bloom and liquid Kool BLoom) to feed with this week. If there's enough amber trichomes, I'll start flushing. How long should I flush if I just fill my DWC reservoir with water? The plant drinks ~quart a day.

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Shade, if she's still drinking like normal, she ain't quite ready yet, can you tell if the buds are still getting larger?
            But just looking I wouldn't use anything but water from here on out, But you are looking at her daily, and can see her better than I can. But I'd wait until you see a few ambers on the buds, not the leaves, before I'd start flushing. Nice looking plant Shade, I hope you have a great harvest.

Just wanted to update on the grow . The plant is down, trimmed, and branches hanging to slow dry. Some of the top and most developed buds started getting really dark and the calyxes started turning burgundy in color. about 1 in 5 of the trichomes on those buds were amber. Some trichomes looked shriveled on those dark calyxes.

Trimming was interesting. Really, really wanted to trim deep into the buds to remove all leaf matter, but I know it's not that critical. I never get a runny nose or eyes from pollen, but when I was trimming, both my eyes and nose ran profusely. I'm guessing the extremely overpowering smell of Sunny D from the buds was more than I'm used to from weed. The stuff I smoked years ago was never sticky and didn't smell strong. It mostly smelled like hay and printer paper. *shrugs*

EDIT: Also, I've learned the importance of changing reservoir water . I just added nutrients and water for the last ~5 weeks, and when I harvested the plant the water was light brown with what looked like an ounce of sand on the bottom of the reservoir .
          Last edited by Shade; 07-24-2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X