Off Topic (Sort Of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Topic (Sort Of)

Plants have senses that put humans to shame. Not only do they hear (yes, it's true) and smell, they can also sense the presence of water, and even an object in their space. Now new research suggests that plants can actually learn and remember.

It is a fascinating field. I read a similar article that described how when a tree is damaged or cut down, the surrounding trees will reroute nutrients from their own stores through their root system toward the effected tree! I don't recall if this was observed in multiple species or one in particular, but damn! It truly makes you rethink things!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier as to cut them down? We might. If they screamed all the time, for no good reason." - "Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy" SNL

Neat article!
    Check out " What a plant Knows" I don't remember the auther, but I found it recommended in the section of literature Nebula has posted. The book also talks about the same thing with trees sometimes sending energy to dead ones through the mycelial network. I think it was a Beach found over in Germany where they noticed this.

So much more going on with plants then people realize. It also makes me wonder, if plants can do all this information processing without a "brain" then what about other life forms, like us? Maybe our brains are not the only part that processes information, well really they are not I guess. The immune system does some amount of that, as well as some of our nerves, giving us reflexes to hot, cold, pain etc.
    Makes you wonder how far it goes.

So much cool stuff in the universe, and we don't know the half of it!!!
    Organic Soil,
    with molasses,
    In a Greenhouse with,
    Redneck engineering.

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
      GreenhouseEffect commented
      Editing a comment
      I was sitting in my greenhouse the other day, and noticed leaves on one of my plants pointing in different directions, eventually I realized that was because each leaf was in a spot where the light was brightest from a different direction. Things were blocking areas of afternoon sun, and the neighbors house to the east was lit up bright, reflecting sun to a couple leaves as well.
      Like little solar panels goblin up the best radiation, phototropic to the utmost.

The secret life of plants is another good book, a little technical . Said plants could sense when the owner would talk about them or threatened to do it harm. I also gave a house plant to a girl who stated she kills anything she tries to grow. Even with my help, the plant struggled to stay alive. She gave it back,and within weeks, giving the exact care, recovered fully.

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
      GreenhouseEffect commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that's cool. I have had similar experiences with giving people plants. I can't 100% say conditions have been exactly the same in my case, but always the same with some people.
      I think plants can sense when somebody cares about them, has there best interests at heart( well, until Harvest!!).
      When your calm and have a plan to take care of them, or are nervous and freaked out that you are going to kill them on accident, they some how kind of "Know" that.

It's so similar to how small children and pets often respond. The same kind of helplessness, and dependence on another, and they can tell for some reason. Ever see a baby get handed to somebody that has never cared for small children, and is not comfortable around them? Kid starts screaming and crying.
      When the baby is handed to the old Grandma that has raised a bunch of kids and Grand kids, baby stops crying. Perhaps they feel muscles tense up, stuff like that, but it seems like no matter what the first person does, that baby will just keep a crying!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X