Pruning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pruning

Should I trim off bottom smaller branches that are never going to do much or let them be cannibalised buy the rest of the plant?

Most will say, to take them off. It's really not a big deal one way or the other.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

7vic are you growing in soil?.. reason I ask is because I normally let the plant cannibalize them selves on the last week's of flower to help with the flushing process.but flockshot has a good point it's not a show stopper ..

Comment

Soil, just clipped some and left others, see what happens!

Comment

For what it's worth... just one real grow under my belt, but here's what I learned... big stems grow big buds. The flimsiest, tiniest, short, thread-like stems will only grow flimsy, tiny, fluffy "flowers" (wouldn't even call 'em buds). As those reveal themselves, I will take them off next time. However, just because the stems are at the bottom doesn't mean they're goners. I had several stems stretch 3 feet from the bottom of the main stalk up through my screen and grew nice tight ~1 gram buds/colas on top of them. It seems like the most popular answer I read is to wait until the first 1-3 weeks of flowering to sort them out and do a little clipping. Overall, I agree with the above responses... it didn't seem to make any difference for me. I left more "popcorn" than a lot of folks it seems, but still got lots of big fat colas in the end.
          FFOF +extra castings, compost, coco
          Veg 8 bulb T5 (blue)
          Flower 600w HPS
          alfalfa meal, bone meal, FF Big Bloom, Down-to-Earth Liquid Bloom
          1st grow White Widow
          Now growing GG4 auto and photo

Comment

I'm with Toripony. We trim a bunch during the stretch but also let some low branches go to the top and they produce. We keep a bunch of popcorn and add it to all the sugar leaves to make kief. It's really personal preference, a bunch of ways work. One main reason to lollipop is for airflow and to prevent mold.
            4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

2018 Grow Journal Here -->> (Blackjack, Super Skunk, Critical CBD)

2017 Grow Journal Here -->> (AK 48, Wonder Woman, Master Kush)

Comment

Everyone has their own opinion on it. But it really depends on what you're going for: If you're going for the biggest, heaviest nugs, I would trim it off. But if you're really after the crystals for concentrates, then you may want to leave all your growth on, and use it all for trim when harvesting. People usually don't smoke the trim, but run it for concentrates. And if you let it all grow out, you will end up with A LOT of trim.

Personally, I would trim them off.
              I'm an advocate for a lot of trimming. I Lolly-Pop my plants so much, other people think its a sacrilege. Really, my poor branches look like French poodles when I Lolly-Pop them.
              By 3rd or 4th week of flowering, when they are done stretching, that's when I Lolly-Pop. I usually take off the bottom 50% of growth on each branch. Sometimes more, if the branch is big. But I'm sadistic like that.
              My Perpetual Guerilla Grow - GWE forum thread.
              My Grow Journal - In a blog format.
              My Twitter Page - Follow me, I #giveaway stuff
              My YouTube Channel - Subscribe now.

Comment

Good point. Last year, 1rst grow I left all and used trim for amazing edibles, kinda like freebies.

Originally posted by SovietStoner View Post
                Everyone has their own opinion on it. But it really depends on what you're going for: If you're going for the biggest, heaviest nugs, I would trim it off. But if you're really after the crystals for concentrates, then you may want to leave all your growth on, and use it all for trim when harvesting. People usually don't smoke the trim, but run it for concentrates. And if you let it all grow out, you will end up with A LOT of trim.

Personally, I would trim them off.
                I'm an advocate for a lot of trimming. I Lolly-Pop my plants so much, other people think its a sacrilege. Really, my poor branches look like French poodles when I Lolly-Pop them.
                By 3rd or 4th week of flowering, when they are done stretching, that's when I Lolly-Pop. I usually take off the bottom 50% of growth on each branch. Sometimes more, if the branch is big. But I'm sadistic like that.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X