• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rangi
    replied
    Almost Dry & Ready to Cure in Jars
    • placed the first trimmed batch in the dryer 72 hours ago
      • each time the bud "shell" felt dry to the touch, they were placed in ziplock baggies to "sweat" (moisture from core redistributes throughout flower, resulting in "shell" feeling moist again) and then placed back in the dryer.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8666.jpg Views:	1 Size:	615.9 KB ID:	218358
    • careful attention is required to avoid:
      • (a) buds becoming too dry ... because not transferred from dryer to baggies soon enough
      • (b) mold forming ... because not transferred from baggies to dryer soon enough
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8663.jpg Views:	1 Size:	308.1 KB ID:	218357
    • I kept the inside of the dryer at ~70F and 45-50%RH for the first 2+ days, then increased RH to 50-55%
      • this will further slow down the rate of drying, and bring buds close to the 62% they'll be held at for curing in jars
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Version 2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	374.4 KB ID:	218359
    • I should be able to remove buds from some stems in the next few hours, which I'll transfer to mason jars for curing
      • I'll keep moving buds to jars as they finish drying
      • I like to keep 62%RH Integra packs in the jars, but I may be out. I'll order more.
      • I'll burp jars once daily for the first week (once weekly thereafter) and monitor for condensation etc.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rangi
    commented on 's reply
    You got it!

• Rangi
    commented on 's reply
    No ... I like to tinker, but this wasn't one of my projects! It came as part of my set of indoor boxes from BC Northern Lights (www.bcnorthernlights.com)

• Rangi
    replied
    Originally posted by SamHeinous View Post
    Just wanted to say welcome to the forum! I am fairly new here myself, but this is my weed growing home on the web - because the people here are SO NICE. I don't see a lot of the BS I see on other forums. I'm looking forward to following your grows!
    Thank you very much! Sorry for the delay in responding ... been just swamped that past few days ... but swamped in a good way with harvest I've had such a great welcome here ... looking forward to learning from some very cool people!

Leave a comment:

• D.A.A.S.69
    commented on 's reply
    Rangi, that's what we like around my house, is the sticky, gummy stuff.
    But I grow in living soil, most of the time, and don't flush. Nothing to flush.

• Rangi
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokesteve View Post
    Looking good, I'm on my third and final round with Great White Shark from GCS. I found the buds to be slightly harsh if I left any of the leaves on the buds at all. I think I screwed up the flush. The pure flowers taste really amazing. I just pick off the leaves before packing a bowl and save the leaves in a big jar for processing down the road.
    Smokesteve thanks very much for reaching out. I actually don't know anyone and haven't read any journals of White Shark grows. Not sure if we have exactly the same strain ... I initially purchased clones from WeedMD.com (a Canadian LP) ... kept one as a mom, which I'm now cloning, and the rest are those I just harvested. WeedMD.com is the only (that I know of) LP that sells dried bud from one of the strains that they also sell as clones. So I was able to sample (plentifully, I might add!) their Shark product and I really enjoyed it.

This grow has turned out ridiculously sticky! I ended up flushing 3-4 days longer than I had initially thought I would, so I'm hoping its nice and clean.

Leave a comment:

• SamHeinous
    commented on 's reply
    Did you build your dryer yourself? That's really neat. I wouldn't mind having something like that, maybe with some sort of attached humidity control since mine is so low out here, but it's REALLY neat!

• Smokesteve
    replied
    Looking good, I'm on my third and final round with Great White Shark from GCS. I found the buds to be slightly harsh if I left any of the leaves on the buds at all. I think I screwed up the flush. The pure flowers taste really amazing. I just pick off the leaves before packing a bowl and save the leaves in a big jar for processing down the road.

Leave a comment:

• D.A.A.S.69
    commented on 's reply
    Rangi, you are right again, my friend. It is quite a journey, But it's a FUN journey, there is nothing better, than smoking your own homegrown dynamite. lol
    Plus, you don't have to waste your money, on the dogsh-t, that they try to sell you on the streets. You are growing some real killer MJ.
    Have fun !

• Rangi
    replied
    • Bit of a rest, and back at it ...
    • 5 plants done; 6 to go
    • Here's the first one on my agenda today ... not bad!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8647.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	217471Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8648.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	217470
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rangi; 06-21-2018, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rangi
    replied
    Drying Process
    ​​​​​​
    A few shots from earlier:

Name:	IMG_8630.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	217354Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8631.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	217351Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8633.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	217353

I've trimmed up almost 5 of the 11 plants now. Time for a break, so I thought I'd describe how I dry and cure in this room:

Name:	IMG_8624.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	217355
    which I initially set at ~70F and ~45% RH using a heater and humidifier (ambient RH in the house typically falls between 25 & 35%). The room has a fresh air supply and an exhaust fan.

The white cube is my dryer. Very simple but effective design (if used appropriately). A 4" computer fan mounted on the bottom pulls air in through vents on the tops of the side panels and exhausts it out the bottom after passing through a carbon filter.

Name:	IMG_8625.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	217357Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8626.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	217356

There are 3 screens onto which the plant material is placed. I think this tray has 2 of the 11 plants:

Name:	IMG_8638.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	522.8 KB
ID:	217359Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8639.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	217358

I place them in the dryer initially for 24 hours (I keep adding to the dryer as I'm trimming, but I keep track timing for each "batch" separately). After that initial dry, I seal them in large freezer ziplock bags for 12 hours. I continue to alternate the buds between being in the dryer and in baggies, following this schedule as a guide:

Dryer - 24 hrs
    Bag - 12 hrs
    Dryer - 12 hrs
    Bag - 6 hrs
    Dryer - 6 hrs
    Bag - 3 hrs

... continue until sufficiently dry to cure in mason jars

The idea is that you place the bud in the dryer just long enough for the outer layer to dry somewhat. It will just barely start to feel dry to the touch on the surface. Then, by placing them in a bag, the moisture redistributes evenly throughout the bud (moving from the moist core out to the dry 'shell' - and the bud will no longer feel dry to the touch). Returning to the dryer once again dries the outer layer, and then another stint in the baggie and it's redistributed evenly again.

There's nothing magical about these particular timings. The key is going very gradually. The first time I used this process I started them in the dryer for 48h, then 24h in bags, etc. The current timings are much more conservative. The buds will be nicely dried in 3 to 5 days, and can then be moved to mason jars to cure. Toward the end of the drying, I raise the RH from 45% to 50% to prepare for the jars, which I keep at 62% with Integra humidity control packs.

Time for some shut eye. Up with the robins and back at trimming in a few hours.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SamHeinous
    replied
    Just wanted to say welcome to the forum! I am fairly new here myself, but this is my weed growing home on the web - because the people here are SO NICE. I don't see a lot of the BS I see on other forums. I'm looking forward to following your grows!

Leave a comment:

• uncledoug
    replied
    4 hrs. 20 min.

Leave a comment:

• Rangi
    replied
    Harvest Day!!

Got up at 2 am, did my cloning from 3-5, then rewarded myself with the grand "reveal" after 40 hours of chillin' in the dark ....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8610.jpg Views:	1 Size:	329.5 KB ID:	217097Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8615.jpg Views:	1 Size:	315.6 KB ID:	217100

Chopped and hung in the box ... keeps all that delicious aroma contained! lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8623.jpg Views:	1 Size:	407.8 KB ID:	217099 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_51001.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	217098

Errands to get done this morning, then I'll start trimming this afternoon.

Who wants to estimate trim time?? (solo project; Fiskars only)

Leave a comment:

• DankwingDuck
    commented on 's reply
    That’s what I’m trianing my plants to do . Flat blanket of buds. It’s taking a little time to veg but it’s nice and flat and looking pretty good .

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X