No announcement yet.

What size pots to use in a 4x4 tent???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted some pics in another thread of plants in 7 gallon air pots. Next grow im going to bigger pots on my photos. Im pretty sure i could get better yields with a larger root system. The autos are so far doing just fine in 7 gallon pots.

Comment

• iGrow420710
      iGrow420710 commented
      Editing a comment
      They look smaller than 7 gal

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      They look just like 7-gallon fabric pots to me... I use them too

• Redwasp
      Redwasp commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope they are 7 gallon fabric/air pots. They are just big plants. I have 1 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon, and 7 gallon. All those in pics are the 7s.

I thought the same thing when i first got them. That they were not that big. Until you fill them with soil. Takes a full bag of ffof to fill 2 of them.

Redwasp Campesino Now considering a 7Gal fabric pot... How would i pot up?

Comment

• Redwasp
      Redwasp commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure exactly what your asking.

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      I think about earlier pot sizes...
      In Soil, I'd do a second step at 2-3 gallon or 7.5L - almost regardless of final container size.
      In Coco, my second step is much smaller, only 1/2 gallon.

I start in a rapid rooter. When i see the roots i then go to peat pots that are about the size of a solo cup. The roots will just grow through the pot itself. So when its time for a bigger pot you just plant the whole thing, pot and all. When i see roots in the peat pots i go to a 1 gallon air/fabric pot. When the plants get big enough i then go to the 7 gallon pots. Even with autos ive never had a plant show signs of slowing down due to transplanting this way. This makes it very easy to water and not have to worry about under or over watering.

Comment

• Redwasp
      Redwasp commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried going from 1 gallon to 3 gallon but the plants are growing so fast by the time they leave the gallon pots that it seemed like an unnecessary step. They fill the 7 gallon pots very quickly.

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, 3 stages is really ideal. I like and agree with your transplant regime.
      I think peat pots are a great idea in soil! I'd line the hole with a little perlite before lowering in the peat pot at "transplant"

So I went to a hydroponic store to get a quote of all my required items. looked at pot sizes.. and have finally come to the conclusion of starting in a jiffy pellet.. 2L pot, 10L pot and finally a 26L smart pot

Comment

Just out of interest does anyone have any views on circle pots or square pots?

Comment

As long as its an air pot (what i think you are calling a smart pot) i dont think it will matter what shape the pot is.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          In related news, I have been tempted to switch to air-pots for some time, and every time they come up it tempts me again.
          I love drainage and aeration!

• Redwasp
          Redwasp commented
          Editing a comment
          My brain kind of adds the 2 together. They both have the same purpose. Better drainage, better breathing, and thus a better root system. Air pots are just more expensive. Lol But as long as he is talking about one of those 2 types pots the shape shouldnt matter.

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, round or square doesn't matter.

But if you can choose dimensions, tall and skinny is better than short and squat. Again, love of drainage. There are two different styles of 7-gallon fabric pots, for example - a short/squat one and a tall skinny one.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X