Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 newbie questions

Hello,
    1st, at what point do you transfer germinated seed from the dark to underneath the light? 2 of 3 seeds I placed in rooter plugs have started sprouting. 3rd was started a day later, so probably in the a.m. should be showing, too.

2nd, is there any benefit/danger to putting seedlings or plants outside under the sun during daylight hours & putting back in the grow space after sunset?

thanks

U can place ur seedlings under light as soon as they sprout and yes is fine to use the sun to save some cash

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      What Jr said!! Get those babies under lights as soon as you see them pop!!

• Dr.Moggs
      Dr.Moggs commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed,
      I expose my seeds when they are like 2 cm. I had 100% germination of 40 seeds.
      One seedling died because I planted it to early, so even if they have sprout, I would let them grow for a few days in roots plugs before replantating them.

Good luck with your babies

I just turned the light on my 6 girls. They are just showing their cotyledon. I look at them tomorrow. If the cotyledon opened all the way, they will go in the Peat pots.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverwart View Post
      Hello,
      1st, at what point do you transfer germinated seed from the dark to underneath the light? 2 of 3 seeds I placed in rooter plugs have started sprouting. 3rd was started a day later, so probably in the a.m. should be showing, too.

2nd, is there any benefit/danger to putting seedlings or plants outside under the sun during daylight hours & putting back in the grow space after sunset?

thanks
      1st question. In nature those seeds would be exposed to light the second the sun came up the day of their sprouting. I personally keep it natural and the second the plant sprouts and stands up out of the Rockwool (or rooter plugs, I just use RW cause I’m full Hydro. I will begin lighting it with a gentle 48w shop light at about 2-3 feet above seed. If you’re using a propagation dome I’d say about a foot above the top of the dome would be cherry. I’ve used this method on all my Cannabis seeds and achieved very high success rates. 9/10 seed pop ratio.

2nd question. My first and number one response is... DO NOT PUT YOUR PLANTS OUTSIDE. Now that also comes from a biased point of view. I run a full hydro setup and I’m flowering in a sealed room. If you’re not running your whole process indoors disregard this reply... though sunlight can help save a few dollars it’s really just that. The amount of energy you save really converts to only a few extra dollars at the end of the month (this is my lazy reason for not moving plants) and all that extra work of pulling them in and out will feel like babysitting. Second, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, you become 100x more likely to pick up an infestation. If you’re growing indoor seed-flower and those girls never plan to breath the outside air then THEY SHOULDN'T. By introducing those plants to nature then putting them back into your grow space you’re in essence putting a treat outside for bugs of all types to come eat and attach to then bringing them home to your girl’s area where they’ll mate and lay eggs in the nice, controlled, indoor environment. Then you’ll be spending some very headache filled hours disinfecting and exterminating your grow space. No one likes those types of chores! So keep it simple, if they’re indoor plants keep them INDOORS! If they’ll be flowering outside or something else where the outdoor environment will be a factor in their lifecycle then bugs are just something you deal with (every outdoor guy knows that though and is well equipped and prepared).

If the extra light is ABSOLUTELY required, I suggest a discreet window, southern facing if possible.

Hope this helps!
      ALOHA!!!
      Perpetual harvest
      Sealed Room
      Full hydro
      Ebb and Flow
      Hydroton Media
      600w HPS
      GH Nutrients

Current Grow:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...icture-journal

Rozay SOG 9 plant 4x4:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...icture-journal

Comment

Cannabis seeds require only heat and moisture to germinate. They do not require darkness. In fact, you can use a CFL to provide the necessary heat from the very beginning.

Many people believe that cannabis seeds require darkness to germinate. This belief is very easily falsified by reality (try it, if you doubt me).

As soon as the cotyledons open, they are going to be searching for light. So, if the seeds are not already lit with a CFL, they should be given light as soon as they sprout.

Comment

• Potted
          Potted commented
          Editing a comment
          Dille,dille

Yeah, I keep a cfl, on mine, before the even sprout, helps keep them warm. You sure don't need darkness, to germinate, a mj, seed. Like Camp said.
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.
          So, I placed 2 seeds in rooter plug, made a makeshift germ box placed on tv receiver box for warmth. Following afternoon soaked 1 seed in shot glass for about 20 hours, then placed in rooter plug. Next day the 1st 2 seeds sprouted from their plugs. Took the 1 soaking, plugged it, & placed in germ box. Honestly, I may have been less than graceful trying to get root-side down. Dropped it a couple times, & not sure it landed heades-up. Basically, I totally bungled the handling of this 1.
          That 1 has yet to sprout & cant see visible evidence of taproot.
          My other concern is 1 of the sprouted seeds hasn't shed the seed casing. Tried touching my finger to it, but the stem shifted way too easily to feel comfortable removing the shell, so I left it alone. How long should I wait before attempting to manually remove it?

again, thanks for all the help. Have 0 clue what Im doing.
          On the + side, what gives me hope is that if tasked with starting this project over, I could probably do it better in 1/3 the time & 50-60% of the cost of the 1st attempt
          Last edited by Riverwart; 06-07-2018, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Campesino
            Campesino commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds good!
            I think simpler germination is better and a strategy that doesn't require touching a sprout is best! As your experience bears out, straight into rooters is an excellent plan!
            Give the sprout a day or two if you want, but then get the shell off.

Keep asking questions, you have a lot of good and helpful fellow growers sub'd here who will be happy to guide you through to harvest

• Riverwart
            Riverwart commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. The guidance is appreciated.
            Seed #2 has popped out of seed shell. Its hanging on 1 leaf, but not for long is my guess. Still no activity from #3.
            Last night I re-covered the sprout tray in cling wrap. Had it off most of the day, and it seemed as though things were drying out faster than I thought was ideal, so replaced it. Currently have sprouts under 300w LED about 32" from light. The light is dimmable, currently have it set at 40-veg & 10-flower (per rec from light mfr.). Temp is avg around 77, & RH is fluctuatiing between 40-50%.
            At what point should I uncover (remove cling wrap) seedlings in the germ box, & plant the plugs in their next container?
            Thanks.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X