Just the grow cabinet I built (photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just the grow cabinet I built (photos)

Just thought I'd share some photos of the grow cabinet my husband and I built a few months ago. We basically modified some plans we found (somewhere) online. I would say total cost on this unit, without lights was about $1000 - $1500. I just used T5's, though I will probably switch this to LED's at some point depending on the heat issues.

The cabinet consists of four chambers - the upper right being the housing for the ventilation (a carbon scrubber and a big ass fan), the chamber directly below that one is for seedlings and clones, and the one below that for veg. The big tall chamber on the left is the flower chamber. The whole thing stands about 7 foot tall. So I can't let them get TOO big. Initially, I had planned on doing four plants at a time in each chamber in this thing, but it's become clear that that needs to be dropped down to maybe 2. I currently have way too many plants in it, imo.

It has vents on both sides, which sucks air through the hollow walls, and provides a constant breeze through the chambers, with air being drawn in on both sides. The fan system is on a temp sensor to regulate the heat.

I've included a photo of the inside of one of the walls - you can see the light baffles and venting better in those photos.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. It's a first try, my first time growing, and I'm learning a ton. I'm sure I'll end up making some more modifications to this thing, but it's working pretty good.

Thanks for checking it out!

I sure like what I’m seeing so far Sam,tho your right about how many plants can b put in the bloom side 2 is reasonable for that size. Thay get tall and bushy and must b trimed to fit and to get light and air to the top of the pot so no hot spots will occur. If u can place exaust fan outside the box that would reduce heat in the box. Pot likes the same temps as we do around 75 degrees maybe a bit warmer for seedlings.
    My apologies for not welcomeing u to the GWE sooner, I just took a look at the box and had to comment on it. May I make a suggestion and if it’s possible put it on wheels it’s much easer to move around and hide in case of emergencies or unwanted eyes and questions try an keep it as stealthy as possible.
    Well anyway u have stumbled on to the best site for growing😃there’s many fokes here willing to help u out If needed just post a question and u will get many answers.
    some times to many, and it’s up to u what advice to take,and what to leave on the side of the road. One things for sure is that we all want to grow better than what u can buy on the street or pharmacy 😎 chow for now.
    Last edited by Potted; 05-25-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• SamHeinous
      SamHeinous commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Potted!

It's pretty heavy - we thought about wheels, but honestly, it can't be moved. It's too tall lol. When it's closed up, it just looks like some sort of enterainment cabinet honestly. And anyone that comes to my house probably knows what I'm up to anyway - I'm licensed to grow, so it's not a legal issue or anything

The fan does exhaust heat out the front portal on there, heat hasn't been too much of a problem - it stays between about 75-85 degrees in all chambers right now - but that's with T5's, so.... we shall see what happens if I change up my lighting. I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to end up with ultimately in terms of lights.

Nice job on the construction you have the potential to fill some jars for sure. Welcome aboard.

Comment

That's nice work.
      If the sun always shone
      How soon the tree would wither
      -- Confucius

Comment

Thats beautiful. I didn't see dimensions. But from the plants i grow i went from 4 to 3 to 1 in a 2x4. I get better yields from 1 than from 4. Unless we are talking small autos then 3. But depends on the time you have, your skills, your light, and the training of the plant. Wish mine looked like that though. With patience and practice that space can yield more than you need.

Comment

• SamHeinous
          SamHeinous commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll have to ask my husband, lol. I cannot remember the dimensions of each chamber exactly. I feel like I'll probably get better quality and quantity if I keep the plant count under 4, but time will tell I supposed.

I'm super new at growing, so I'm sure my skills will improve over time. Or at least I hope so! This site has been SUPER helpful I have to say!

Oh being legal to grow doesnt stop people who know from stealing your shit. So be careful who finds out. Cant remember who but someone here had someone go through their floorboards to get to the plants.

Comment

That's a great cabinet! Good job. Only question that comes to mind is - any light leaks? Cuz the only chamber for hermies is the dungeon. Unless you are growing the easier type called autoflowers. Great chamber for training. As for lights - LED's don't run very hot - unless you go higher than 600 watts, then they might run warm. COBS run really warm, warmer and all the way to hot. Most LEDS are good for like 85,000 hours - 8 years.

Sounds like your holding back from showing us pictures - c'mon - time for show and tell.
          I'm talking green related pics.
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• SamHeinous
            SamHeinous commented
            Editing a comment
            lol, I'm at work, but I'll take some photos of it with plants in it tonight when I get home! Dispensary doesn't close until 6, so only 10 more minutes til I'm outta here!

As for light leaks - I actually stood inside the flower chamber and closed the door with the other chambers lights on, and it was totally dark - we put some stripping on all the doors for that reason. The light baffels in the walls keep the light from getting through the vents

Promise I'll take some photos tonight!

• Redwasp
            Redwasp commented
            Editing a comment
            I do construction on the side and was gonna ask if you used stripping on the doors but decided it was a stupid question with that build quality. I can tell one of you knows what they are doing.

I dont always like posting pics either. I do post them but not always. Tell you what Canuck start a thread lets post pics and i can show you ummmmm some good green pics.

Comment

• Canuck147
            Canuck147 commented
            Editing a comment
            I started a thread 72 days ago "First Grow of the year" and I bet you can't post half the pictures I've already posted.
            Sorry SamHeinous I don't like to brag on other people's threads - but I had to say it.

Ok here's some photos with plants in it. My AC unit in the house went out, and my cabinet got pretty hot today! I've got some drooping leaves! I watered them real good and I'm hoping that'll do until it's fixed tomorrow! Gets pretty hot out here in the desert!

Comment

Alright - Thank you - looks much more interesting now. Plants look great - nice color.
            I know you haven't asked for advice - but if they were mine, they would be autoflowers. Are they, if so - I would think about thinning out the middle areas to allow the air to move. I say this to a lot of growers because I know how easy the mold can start. Best way really is to watch them every day. Good luck growing
            Actually - they look like photoperiod plants, so be careful with any thinning out I guess.
            Last edited by Canuck147; 05-25-2018, 08:44 PM.
            ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
            Mars Hydro
            Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• SamHeinous
              SamHeinous commented
              Editing a comment
              They aren't autoflowers, they're basically bag seed. One is a J13 (which I'm guessing is a Jack Herer cross with G13?) One is a Sunset Sherbet, and the other is a weird one that we are calling Magic Goddess, because that's what I found the seed in, but I can't find any info online about it so....

I was wondering about thinning them. I'm a little scared to do too much, but I have removed quite a few leaves already if you can believe that! They were suuuuper leafy!

And my husband is an electrical engineer, with a real knack for woodworking, welding, blacksmithing and so on. So he knows what he's doing. I mostly helped as I could, driving screws and painting etc. I had cancer surgery about a year ago, so he handled all the heavy duty stuff!

Also, in the flower chamber we put in a removable shelf so that the plants could be moved closer to the lights before they stretch. Right now I've removed it because it's too damn hot with my AC on the fritz!

Comment

Hey Sam, welcome to the forum and what a great box you two built!! I have two grow boxes in my grow room and I paid a pretty penny for the big one, but I really love it and I never could have built it.

Do everything in your power to keep the flowering side in cooler temperatures, especially as buds are maturing in the second half of the flowering period. Too much heat during flowering can put a lot of stress on the plants, and they might hermie. I had that happen, and it has definitely influenced when I schedule flowering and how I tune in the grow room environment to my plants' needs.

Your flowering girls are lovely!! I can see their lovely hybrid characteristics: the sumptuous Sativa stretch, and the leaves have both Indica and Sativa characteristics. Really pretty!!
              Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X