When Drying your plant???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Drying your plant???

I will be drying my plants soon. Should they be total darkness during the drying time? I have read that they should be. I have read maybe not? Your thoughts

If you can't get total darkness, just get it as dark as you can. Darkness is better - as I have read - also need air movement. Don't have a fan blowing right at them, but one that moves the air they are hanging in.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Light degrades THC.
      Therefore, Harvest at the end of a dark period and minimize the buds exposure to light during dry and cure. It doesn't have to be completely dark during the dry, but you should avoid direct light.

Comment

That is the first time ive heard that. Is there some scientific basis for that? I only ask because campesino seems a bit like me. Likes facts.

Pretty sure ive always dried in the dark because my wife has long hair and ive got a huge beard. I say that because when you grow good bud its sticky. And it will suck your hair into the buds if you comb your hair, or beard near them. By the way dont do that. Lmao

Comment

Ok thats a start. Thanks. Do you have further articles. That one just left me wanting more. Always trying to do better. Dispensaries just want to get rid of shit as fast as they can. Others tell me a 6 month cure is when its at its best. Not that i ever have had any that long. But after 6 months it goes downhill. Oldest i have is from February atm and it is fantastic.

Comment

• DoctorJohnson
          DoctorJohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          > Do you have further articles
          The best article that I've found is right here at GWE. https://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-curing/

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, your bud, if stored properly will last much longer than that. See the article DJ recommends on GWE.

And my wife makes fun of me. Every jar has date planted, flowered, cut, when it went into the jar, exactly which plant it came from (they all have names) and which light/tent it came from. She says im the "Sheldon from Big Bang Theory" of growing plants. Lmao is that just me

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I keep all of that information, only not on my cured weed jars. I put cure date, strain, if I decarb it I put the decarb date.

• Weed Pharma
          Weed Pharma commented
          Editing a comment
          Redwasp, release your inner Sheldon to full potential (and out of view of the wife, lol)

I've used a free app/web called GrowBuddy- to track each plant/crop etc.

• GreenhouseEffect
          GreenhouseEffect commented
          Editing a comment
          Stoned Sheldon...
          I wish I was that good about records( I'm awful!!)
          Sounds like the best possible way to understand what all leads to growing great weed!

DoctorJohnson is there something in the article that you disgree with factually, or is your argument that anything they say is wrong?

CBN is formed from degradation of THC on exposure to heat and UV light, and this conversion occurs over time-subject to storage conditions.
        From: https://www.uttbio.com/wp-content/up...Cannabinol.pdf

I could pull literally dozens of academic journal articles that concur, but that would take time. It isn't difficult to verify their existence yourself. It is fine if you want to criticize Leafly as a source, but that is different than challenging the veracity of the information I am sharing.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Exposure to light (not direct sunlight) was shown to be the greatest single factor in loss of cannabinoids especially in solutions, which should therefore be protected from light during analytical and phytochemical operations.
          From
          "The stability of cannabis and its preparations on storage"
          J. W. FAIRBAIRN J. A. LIEBMANN M. G. ROWAN
          First published: January 1976
          Journal Of Pharmacy and Pharmacology

• DoctorJohnson
          DoctorJohnson commented
          Editing a comment
          > DoctorJohnson is there something in the article that you disgree with factually, or is your argument that anything they say is wrong?
          I think I made myself clear in my comment. leafly.com is a slickly produced site full of nonsense content (the opposite of GWE, which as far as I can see it entirely trustworthy). In my opinion, one does well to look for good content at a site with higher editorial standards than one finds at leafly.
          Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 05-19-2018, 07:56 PM.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I have to agree with DJ here: Leafly is kinda like a freshman essay: copied and pasted from other sources.

I'm not saying whether or not there is valuable info on it, but what I have seen doesn't impress me.

I have a green thumb but no idea why.. Guess growing up on a farm. But ill read all you got. Lol

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          There is no substitute for time spent on a farm!

Oh no we have a smack down. Lol

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah, DoctorJohnson ruffles my feathers from time to time, but I think we basically get along.

Lots of information being shared here. Thanks another question can use a cardboard closet for drying?

Comment

• Redwasp
          Redwasp commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes. In a high humidity environment it will actually lower the humidity some.

• Californiakid
          Californiakid commented
          Editing a comment
          I hang my buds in a box big enough to allow air to circulate. I put the box on its side, so the opening is on the side not the top. I leave the box open and poke holes in the top side. Push the stem through and pinch it with a binder clip.

Like so...
        "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

• MCD500
          MCD500 commented
          Editing a comment
          Where do you keep it until you cure?

• Californiakid
          Californiakid commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on whats going on, sometimes outside of my grow room on the floor. Sometimes in the grow room keeping the lights off. I'm not very sophisticated with my setup, very shoestring budget.
          I make it work though!

If smell were to be an issue, I would dry in my room. So the carbon filter could scrub the air.

I like that. Thats cool CA kid I am in CA also OAk

Comment

• MCD500
          MCD500 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info

• MCD500
          MCD500 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oakland

• Californiakid
          Californiakid commented
          Editing a comment
          My sister lives in S.F.
          But my hillbilly arse stays out here in the country where I'm safe. Lol I have done a lot of work out there, don't care for the traffic. Lol

Thanks CA Kid for the insight

Comment

• Californiakid
          Californiakid commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to share what works for me.

CA Kid this is what I will be harvesting pretty soon

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Great colas!

• Californiakid
          Californiakid commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude that's what I'm talking about! Nice job 👍

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X