Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passive vs Active Air

Hey guys,
    I'm researching for my next run and I have a question about how should I put air inside of my tent. Last run one of my plants turned hermie nearby harvest and I think it was a combination of bad genetics and my passive air income. I've set up my tent in this last run for a passive air entry (I didn't have an exhaust system sucking air from outside to inside of my tent) and all GWE tutorials says to avoid for good all light leaks during the cycle.
    My question is: does a passive air income can provide some light leaks that are unwanted or is it not important at all. Do I truly need to buy another mini exhaust to suck the air in?

Thanks a lot!
    PS: I do have 2 mini vents and an exhaust system sucking the air from inside to outside of my tent.

A good test for light leaks is get in your tent close it up (have someone else do it) let your eyes adjust. Do you see any light? That being said yes a passive or active air intake can cause a light leak. Are you using ducting for your intake? If yes sunlight supply sells some fairly cheap big screens with a cloth black carbon filter that’ll block out light, and prevent bugs etc from getting in. I know if I zip up my tent to the corner by the pole it causes a small leak so something else you might look at. I know campesino uses a piece of a fabric pot over his passive air intakes. I also just try to stay out of the room with the tent in it during lights out just in case. But I realize everyone doesn’t have that luxury.
    48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bug screen not big, and yes they will restrict air flow some.

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, Yeah... I use the whole fabric pot... 2 gallon black and duct tape to the ducting - which is attached to active intake fans... 2 of them.
      My intake fans are very low CFM (50 and 100, but the 50 is stronger somehow). But I needed them because tent was pulling in too much and temp and RH were climbing. I tried adding an 8" duct as passive and it did almost nothing when covered with fabric
      Mr Pot I think you could wait and see. They are not as important during veg when you can just open flaps. If you realize it is difficult to control climate in the tent without opening flaps then you can add active intake before flipping to Flower.

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have the fans inside the tent with the ducting going out, so it’s sucking the air in? I have mine outside i never thought of that I should’ve put it inside so it’s sucking the air in rather than pushing it.

Locrian99
    Yep, they are both mounted to the underside of my bench - was one of the original functions of the bench!
    Ducting goes outside with the fabric pot covering the end.
    Ducting also goes from fan into tent - and I point the inflow up at their undercarriages for air flow.

Comment

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Another thread hijacked. Oops.

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      We are on topic this time!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X