Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Top Canopy and Let Lower Lever Keep Flowering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Top Canopy and Let Lower Lever Keep Flowering?

I have four Mephisto Genetics Ripley's OG that were supposed to be autoflowers, but after months of 18/6 I switched to 12/12 to force flowering after asking for some information on this forum (thanks again all!). It's been just over 6 weeks since I switched the lights and one of the plants has mostly cloudy trichomes with some amber as well so I'm close to harvest. The other plants are probably a week or so behind. Anyway, I've done some LST and trimmed a lot of the lower leaves off in attempt to focus most of the energy on the top colas. There are still some buds under the top canopy that are fluffy and could use more time. Can I just harvest the top canopy of buds that are ready and let the lower level get more light for a few more weeks? If so, how long is usual to let these lower level guys grow until they're ready or is this just a waste of time?

It seems likely that you are jumping the gun somewhat at just 6 weeks. Are you checking trichomes on the actual buds (rather than the sugar leaves)? Sugar leaves turn early and can be deceptive.
    Got pics?
    And yeah, some growers harvest the top and let the bottom go for a few days - but be sure that the top is really ready

Comment

Some growers do this, but i feel this sacrifices yield.
      Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systems
      Using Light Efficiently
      The Light Cycle Debate
      Environment Conditions
      Grow Light Technologies
      How To Compare Grow Lights
      To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
      Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Instagram

Comment

I'll check the bud trichomes to make sure I'm not just going by the sugar leaves.

As far as yield, I'm not sure how this decreases it as long as the top buds are mature. If I harvest all of the plant and have some undersized buds, couldnt they be helped by giving them a bit more time? It certainly wouldn't make them any smaller or lighter. Now if I harvest the top colas too soon I get that...but I've never done it before so juse looking for options

Comment

• DrPhoton
          DrPhoton commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably right, it just discomforts me ^.^

• Cali
          Cali commented
          Editing a comment
          I always wondered how people do it? Meaning if you start the flush and it’s time to cut the top colas what is going to feed the rest of the buds if you’ve been flushing? How long more do they keep the plant going after the initial top harvest? Or does this apply only to super soil 100 percent organic?

Same rule apply from tomatoes to apples u just pick the ripe ones.and leave the rest to ripen at thier own pace.Lol

Comment

Hi Rydin4life,
          I am currently doing that with some Photos I have going. I harvested the colas, and have been letting the lower, not yet ripe buds, going for the last 6-7 day's. I am noticing a big difference in density, they were really larfy with not much to them, and I figured on just stripping sugar leaves, buds, and all for joint weed and brownies. Now I'm thinkin a couple more days and I will get mostly trimmable buds, which is good, cause I flowered at 4 weeks.
          The one time I would try to avoid doing this, is if you had a high humidity problem, as the cuts would be a risk for mold infection. Luckily my humidity is managable right now, though.
          Organic Soil,
          with molasses,
          In a Greenhouse with,
          Redneck engineering.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey rydin, yes you can, as long as they are ready, then just wait till the other buds are ready.
            Worst possible thing you can do is harvest early, Take the ones that are ready and leave the others untill, they are ready.
            After all that time and effort, just make sure they are ready, before you cut ANY buds.

Sounds good guys. I usually use the lower buds and sugar leaves for making butter but if I can get a little more from them, I certainly will. I'm between 6 and 7 weeks since starting to flower so the tops may need another week or two...better to wait a bit longer I suppose. I'll try to get good pictures tonight.

Comment

Hear are some pictures of the plants I just did second harvest on. Not a huge amount more of bud, but they were flowered at 4 weeks, maybe an extra 3/4 ounce or so, anyway, between the two.
            The 1st plant got more than a week of extra growing between 1st and 2nd harvest.
            The 2nd plant only got a couple days. I harvested more off of it, I atribute that to leaving a couple small colas, being a touch bigger, and I did leave some fan leaves. I really think that made a difference to.

Organic Soil,
            with molasses,
            In a Greenhouse with,
            Redneck engineering.

Comment

• GreenhouseEffect
              GreenhouseEffect commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I could have added a little more weight if I would have left them another few days, but was wanting to clone my blue dream before it got to far along into flowering.
              Was getting a little to stinky for comfort around my place, to!
              Hope that helps.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X