No announcement yet.

Grow space question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a hell of a lot of info to take in all at once. This will be my second grow. I'm starting to think I'm not on the right level to do sog or scrog either. It doesn't help that I have one auto and one not. Locrian99 said I could get away with 6 plants in a row with lst think I'm just gonna do 4 plants in there and see what happens. So here's the plan start 4 plants in there both the auto and non auto till flowering then move the auto outside. If this does not sound right let me know so I can think of something else. alltatup I've just got a couple fans one up top and another on the floor

Comment

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      That probably was kind of over whelming lol. I think 4 is a great choice it’s your 2nd grow don’t over complicate it. It’s really not that tough to get from seed to harvest. It’s the maximizing that complicates stuff. Just make sure your 4 plants stay in the footprint of that HPS you’re running. Are you using an exhaust system on that HPS to suck out the hot air and some sort of intake to bring air in? That light is going to produce a lot of heat.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I think four is a much better idea, Porcha: you'll be amazed at how the space fills up.

Yea ill have a few different types of fans going at once. The last grow I did in there the temp ran no more then 80 so hopefully with extra fans I can get that down a little lower. My room is right by the air conditioner so that helps.I'm really tempted to order a different seeds to go with my other auto but I ordered from nirvana and it takes awhile for them to get here. All the information that was given to me was a lot but I appreciate it all. I'm all about learning new ways to grow. 😁
    Last edited by Pmoe90; 05-06-2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      You got a lot of good advice, but a lot of different advice as well. Nothing really wrong with any of it, just different strategies.

Sounds like a good plan. You can veg the autos and photos together no problem. You could move the photos outside, but then they wouldn't flower until Fall at which point they may be monsters. If you move the autos outside, they will just flower on their timeline as per normal.

So you plan to only have two in the tent during flowering? You will want to train them to use all of your light (horizontal space). That can largely be done after the others move out, during the stretch.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Your temp sounds good. You just want to keep the plants at 80 or below during flower. I learned the hard way that the stress of too much heat in my grow box at the hottest time of the year caused one of my plants to hermie and I got some seeds. The quality of the herb was great, but you don't want to have to mess with any pollen getting into your grow space, cuz you have to make sure you clean everything up so it doesn't pollinate on the next grow!!!

Campesino I opted out of using the tent and just utilizing the space I have in the closet. I plan on growing 4 in there and doing the topping and lst. Last year I had six in there. Did pretty well for some bag seeds. My problem is I want to grow many plants just so I can mess with them all. I just need to focus on the ones I have. Once I start to grow they become my babies. You got me thinking though what one would be the best to move outside when flowering starts. I figured the non auto because I can guarantee it will be completely dark In the closet. Are you thinking I should keep the auto inside?

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      One of the advantages of Autos is that you can give them lots of light during the flowering period. Some go 24 full, but 18/6 is great through most of flowering with Autos. Extra Light = Extra growth = Bigger yields. You can do this indoor, but not out.
      If you put the photos outside, they will develop just like all outdoor plants and start to flower at the end of summer as days get shorter. When the Sun is their primary light, plants seem to be able to tolerate some degree of light contamination during the dark period (the moon, stars, the lume from the city). As long as there aren't any lights pointed at them they will flower.
      If you plant the Photos outdoor, they will get pretty big before you harvest, so be aware of potential stealth issues.

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, if you run the Autos indoor, you don't have to worry about light sealing the indoor space.

Dope info much appreciated! I'll move the candy kush outside when I want them to start to change. I could just grow them outside as well. Or I could grow the autos inside and when they are done bring the candy kush in and finish it inside. I definitely don't live in a city lol I barely have Neighbors.

Comment

All good options. Pick the one that sounds the most fun to you and do it. Can always try something different on the next grow. If you are uncertain you can do the autos inside and try one way and before you know it you will be done and starting your next batch. Some autos are so fast you always seem to be starting more. Lol

Comment

• Pmoe90
        Pmoe90 commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on! I'm tempted to even throw one of the autos outside just to see how it does.

If you can keep it safe and get it full sun the auto will do very well outside too. The sun is the best grow light hands down. You just have to worry about animals (who love to eat these plants) and bugs. You can get bugs inside too but you will run into them outside for sure.
      If you have ever grown a vegetable garden outside successfully you have the skills to do the same with these.

Comment

My plan is pretty well set now. Thanks to you guys of course. I'll be planting two of each seed blue ceese and candy kush in the closet. I'll also try my luck by doing one of each outside as well. I plan on doing a lot of topping because I'm going for a really even top. My last grow my best plant was more like xmas tree. My goal is to get a flat even canopy. I have really high hopes for this Grow. The pic below is of a candy kush grow. Currently my motivation😁 I would like for my buds thick and dense dense like these.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you grow those, Porcha??? They are gorgeous. And you don't need to do a lot of topping; if you top once, all the flower nodes beneath where you topped will turn into colas. So if you wait until there are five sets of leaves and then top the fifth set, you will get 8 colas forming below. That would be good for the outdoor grow, because the plants will have all the space they need.

When I top, I leave two sets of leaves below with four nodes that turn into four main colas. I usually pinch off the lower leaves and stick with the nodes that are growing most vigorously and getting good light.
          Last edited by alltatup; 05-07-2018, 06:26 AM.

This one just started the stretch. Tomorrow i need to level out the top again so all are at the same height. During the stretch you really have to keep up with it to keep it flat.

Comment

• Pmoe90
          Pmoe90 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I am trying to accomplish. How many times did you top your plant?

I just topped her once. The rest was just daily lst training. I love training my plants so have lots of practice making them the shape i want. It is very easy if you enjoy it.

Comment

• Pmoe90
          Pmoe90 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok cool ill keep that in mind

alltatup I did not grow those. Those are from a grow of the strain that I'm about to grow. It's my motivation honestly. Last year I did not like how my buds turned out so something like this is my goal. I will most likely just top once then. I did it to some of my plants last year. Hopefully with the topping and the lst everything will turn out well.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          You got your goals, girl!! I can't wait to watch you grow!!

I have many goals with this Grow! I can't wait to get started. I've still been looking into the scrog. I came across an article about the subject. To me the screen seems to small of space am I wrong? I would think you would want more space between squares?

Comment

• Locrian99
          Locrian99 commented
          Editing a comment
          I can’t really answer to screen size. I know a lot of people do a wooden frame with eyelets and run string makes harvesting much easier you can just cut the string. Rather than trying to untangle from the screen.

• Locrian99
          Locrian99 commented
          Editing a comment
          I would check out the Scrog tutorial in the site, it covers square size material used etc.

Locrian99 makes a lot of sense. Seems like it would be a hassle to get all of the plant out of the screen. I continue to research because I plant to use this method on my 3rd grow. This pic here though. Just does not look right to me but hey what do I know lol.

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          It doesn't look right!
          That pic is not a very well done scrog... Just sayin

• Chefbjy
          Chefbjy commented
          Editing a comment
          No that is not a good scrog it's more skeletal support then anything.

• DrPhoton
          DrPhoton commented
          Editing a comment
          You guys are absolutely right. As i have previously said. An authentic scrog is where a plant is trained to grow horizontally across the trellis. If a plant just grows through and over then its not a scrog but a support system.

I'll have 4 plants going in the inside. I plan on doing one of each outside. I've been told that autos don't get to bing so I was thinking putting them into 3 gallon fabric pots. For the candy kush I'm not sure I would think a 5 gallon pot would be big enough. I've chosen to use the fox farm Coco Loco Potting Mix. So in total I'll be growing 6 pants how many bags should I order? I've never used fox farm before. Would like to be sure before I order.

Comment

• Locrian99
          Locrian99 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is from smart pot, should give you idea for fabric pots. I’ve never used a plastic pot so not sure if there’s much difference.

If you can get tour coco locally it might be quite a bit cheaper. When I’ve priced ordering soil/coco it’s way may than I can get at the local grow shop (but being in a legal state grow shops are everywhere).

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          Coco soil mixes are interesting, but I’d rec just coco perlite and my guide to growing in Coco.

Are you talking about the blocks of coco? Just mixed with the perlite? I know you can't go cheap when growing but I am balling on a budget. I need to be able to fill 6 pots. Would using a regual soil and mixing it with the perlite do the job?

Comment

• Campesino
          Campesino commented
          Editing a comment
          There is nothing cheaper than a brick of coco. Yes a brick of coco and perlite is all you need. Cheap and I can walk you through buffering it to be just like the expensive stuff.

I found this on Amazon comes with 7 bricks. Y'all think 7 bricks will be enough?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X