Defoliation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defoliation

Defoliation. Ive always just uncovered any colas that were blocked but wondering more about defoliation. Ive read it all but still not sure especially with taller plants. This os my first grow with a really tall strain. Wondering if this is to much or to little. I just see friends gettimg great results butchering their plants. Lol so anyways i just started the 1

Great looking plants you have there. It's not easy to defoliate for your first time. It always feels like you're taking too much off sometimes. Thinning out the middle and taking off anything that won't reach the canopy to provide good air flow. If you look down on your plant you should be able to see soil. I believe pruning and maintaining structure are essential indoors where as defoliating is controversial. I can say from my experience plants react to pruning bottom growth it increases top growth. I did a major defol just before I flipped and they just got leafy again. I just followed the guide on gwe. Take a look at that and then decide. These plants are resilient and can bounce back from a lot.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      I have heard the idea that you should see soil when looking down from the top of canopy, but I no longer believe it. Light that makes it to the soil is wasted light. DrPhoton discusses this extensively.
      I agree that airflow is important and should be considered, but I’d err towards less defoliation rather than more.
      In many cases I think plants do well despite defoliation not because of it!

But this is just a topic that has little science behind it and always generates a diversity of opinions

I have read it and always defoliate. But never really removed the smaller lower stems that produce popcorn buds. I do love my popcorn buds. Bud i think im losing alot of weight by doing that. Is this a correct assumption?

Comment

Im averaging 7 to 10 ounces a plant currently.

Comment

• Chefbjy
        Chefbjy commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are great hauls. Just keep doing what you do lol. Like I said it's controversial that defoliating increases yields. Some people don't believe it does while others swear by it. But there are other reasons for defoliating other then just increasing yields.

Thanks was just wondering if doing more would increase the yields. Will stick to what i know.

Comment

Chefbjy and Campesino make some good points. Although its controversal what benefits defoliation has with yield, there are practical benefits such as improved airflow, disease prevention, humidity control etc. But there is no science behind defoliation at all for yield increase, which you can see from my article on defoliation. But i totally accept everyones opinion, i only promote the discussion on the topic.
        Written Articles:
        Light Metric Systems
        Using Light Efficiently
        The Light Cycle Debate
        Environment Conditions
        Grow Light Technologies
        How To Compare Grow Lights
        To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
        Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
        Facebook
        Twitter
        Instagram

Comment

I need to read it.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X