Can I DIY hps glasses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I DIY hps glasses?

So I don't have the money to buy some hps glasses, will I be okay for the first harvest or can I make some hps glasses from household items?

Hps glasses?

Comment

• Sj9820
      Sj9820 commented
      Editing a comment
      It says hps lamps can cause Macular degeneration: the leading cause of blindness.
      Cataracts: an unraveling of lens proteins that causes clouding within the lens.
      Pterygium: a growth on the whites of the eyes that can grow over the cornea.
      Pinguecula: another type of growth on the whites of the eyes.
      Photokeratitis: a painful but temporary corneal sunburn.
      Climatic droplet keratopathy: an accumulation of translucent proteins.
      Skin cancer: common around the skin of the eyelids after exposure to UV light.

Yes I read that a hps lamp and cause damage to your eyes, and looked for some but can't afford atm.
    One pair is called method7.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey 9820, I'm pretty sure that almost all lights would hurt your eyes, but I thought it was LED lights, was what you might need glasses for. Maybe someone that knows more will chime in.
      Ps, I know I ain't never worn any while tending my plants, But that might be why I couldn't see many deer last year, lol.

• oldjarhead100
      oldjarhead100 commented
      Editing a comment
      Daas did you keep seeing those dark spots lol

Hi DAAS, I start to see a lot of green when I exit the tent. Lol might not want to go hunting then 😉. Thankyou for comments.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like me an you don't need to be in the same woods huntin this year don't it .
      You surely need to protect your eyes, any dark sunglasses should help. But I'm sure those Method7 ,glasses work fine, I'd sure buy them from somewhere other than Amazon though, kinda high priced but probably worth it ,especially if your a young dude, that's gonna be growing for years, I thought about getting some of those but I don't think I'm gonna be growing much more MJ inside, no time soon, only outdoors. Good Luck with your eyes sj9820

• Sj9820
      Sj9820 commented
      Editing a comment
      Considering my eyes are terrible as it is I think different woods is a great idea lol, I think I will get some good sunglasses when I can thanks DAAS.

Yeah led's are far harsher. MH are the worst as far as damage. More blue light. That being said if you have a fully vented mh/hps the glass actually blocks the most damaging rays. Its the ones that are fully open thay are the most damaging. Thats why they say some switch back to MH the last 2 weeks and remove the glass. They say will produce more trichomes to help protect the plant.

Comment

Just get some really good sunglasses until you can get some. If it protects from the sun cant hurt, has to help some.

Comment

• Sj9820
        Sj9820 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi redwasp thanks for all the info, I'll be sure to get some sunglasses.

Just do your best to not look at the light bulb directly and u will be fine tell u get the shades and if your really worried about it im sure regular sunglasses are better than nothing

Comment

• Sj9820
        Sj9820 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi st.buds for the time being it will have to be sunglasses as I'm a poor man lol. Thanks for the comment bud.

• St.buds
        St.buds commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey man no problem and I feel u im so poor I breed my own seeds to save cash been growing for years and need hps glasses and still don't got them lol

• St.buds
        St.buds commented
        Editing a comment
        After reading the comments under I'll probly just be useing regular sunglasses for a long time

I do not understand why you should need glasses, the sun produces higher levels of light intensity at any single spectrum. The only technology that should require protection glasses is metal halide. Sodium discharge and LED are used everyday for residential and commerical lighting, which i install all the time. Even in commercial grow facilities they tend to not wear glasses but if they do, its just standard sunglasses as there are no specific wavelengths that need to be filtered, except for metal halides.

The sun on average is beaming high intensity light to your face all the time, averaging around 1500 umols or 80,000 lux. Your light source would not be providing even a quarter of that light unless you stick your head under the fixture and look at it.

Just get some sunglasses if you are worried, there are no other spectrums provided by sodium discharge that the sun is not already providing.
      Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systems
      Using Light Efficiently
      The Light Cycle Debate
      Environment Conditions
      Grow Light Technologies
      How To Compare Grow Lights
      To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
      Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Instagram

Comment

• Sj9820
        Sj9820 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Dangerdan, this make me feel more at ease, still going to get some sunglasses (better safe than sorry). Really appreciate the info, thanks to everyone who commented.

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        hey Dangerdan you mean you don't lay on the floor and look up at your hps lol

Yes and if your MH are covered by glass your fine.

Comment

Take care of your eyes. Wraparound sunglasses, hat with a brim--this is common-sense stuff. If you're seeing a green afterglow, you're getting too much light to your eyes. You really don't want your optician telling you "I can see a little cloudiness in your lenses" like mine just told me.

(Same goes for go outdoors under the big free photo source in the sky, by the way. You don't want to have a dermatologist burning actinic keratosis off your face (me again), or worse, suggesting surgery and reconstruction for basal cell carcinoma on your face. (Have you seen governor Jerry Brown's reconstructed nose after skin cancer surgery? Not pretty.)

The stupid sh*t we do when we're young returns to haunt us when we get less young...

And by the way, you're eye doc is a better person to ask about this kind of stuff than a bunch of stoner growers online (like me!) Tell him you're growing orchids.
        Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 04-30-2018, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I can vouch for the stupid stuff we do when were young coming back to bite us. Lol

Comment

• DoctorJohnson
            DoctorJohnson commented
            Editing a comment
            Too soon old, too late wise.

Hi DoctorJohnson thankyou for the comment and letting me know about the hat as I did not know that. I was going to get some sunglasses but now a hat is order also. I'll go see the eye doc. Once again thanks to all who have helped and commented. (such a peaceful and informative forum).

Comment

• KingKush
            KingKush commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes a hat is essential, I try to wear long sleeves when I will be working with the plants in the light. The MH is so intense I try to go in when it's off but that cant happen every time. It will burn your skin & scalp working under your plants long. I just wear a ball cap and sunglasses anytime I will be in there for more than a minute, sleeves help too.

When I started, no precautions were taken. Even after a few months of going around the lights everyday, you start to feel the effects on the eyes. Then the skin and scalp start to tell you there's something. So do what you can to instill proper practices so it becomes regular to protect yourself. Then there is never an issue, when you always take Caution.

Hi Kingkush thankyou for the info, I'll make sure to get all the essentials as soon as possible.

Comment

Sup SJ!

I bought this online. Trust me, your eyes will appreciate them!!! ✌
            Current Grow
            Power Plant | 2x2x4 Tent | FFOF Soil | BP Cal-Mag | FF Trio Nutes | 300 LED | Temp R/H Gauge | Humidifier | Fans | 2 Gallon Smart Pot | 4' 190 CFM/Speed Controller | 4' Carbon | Passive Intake

Comment

• Sj9820
              Sj9820 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi strainsgrow thanks for putting a photo, this helps. I'll be sure to look into them 👌.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X