Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to efficiently water plants with fabric pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to efficiently water plants with fabric pots?

I just transplanted into 1 gal fabric pots and I am having a hard time watering my plants. As soon as I pour the water, the water is already running out the bottom or out the side of the pot. The water runs out so fast I feel like the soil doesn't even have any time to absorb any water. I felt like the plastic pots at least allowed the soil to soak a little before running out the bottom...and it couldn't run out the side. Anyone have this problem and know how to properly water plants with fabric pots so I don't waste so much water? I'm thinking of switching back to plastic pots on my next transplant to 5 gal pots. I'm using Fox Farm Happy Frog as my soil.

Hey NV,

I use 2 gallons small pots as well with FFOF soil. I let like 15% or so run off and then I stop there to measure the run off ph. If everything is fine I dont water anymore. Eerything is working well for me and my soil stays wet for two three days. I have an exhaus and pasive intake so that makes my soil need water sooner but smart pots are better for root development and they breath better. At least thats the idea of those pots
    Current Grow
    Power Plant | 2x2x4 Tent | FFOF Soil | BP Cal-Mag | FF Trio Nutes | 300 LED | Temp R/H Gauge | Humidifier | Fans | 2 Gallon Smart Pot | 4' 190 CFM/Speed Controller | 4' Carbon | Passive Intake

Comment

Yea that happens especially when the roots fill the entire pot late in flower. I ALWAYS use trays at the bottom and the water will run out into the tray but wick back up in the next 10-15 minutes and wet the whole medium eventually. Like when you dip the corner of a paper towel in water and it wicks up.
      Some people water from the bottom only and all the water wicks upwards into the soil or whatever they are growing in.

1 Gallon pots are rather small, the 5 gallon will be better for bigger buds, regardless of container type.

Comment

If you can set your moisture ideal by watering in small increments till you reach your ideal saturation. Then lift the plant. Having an idea of the weight of the pot when it is saturated will give you an idea of when the plant needs water because it will weigh less as it grows you will still have a feel for if the plant is dry. Keeping the plant moist is better than letting it dry and re-watering. I don’t mean to say overwater it I mean to say keep it at the ideal moisture point.
        My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till
        The universities do not teach all things

Comment

Overall, it's hard to water the plants because the water literally runs out the side of the fabric pot in a second. I didn't really think these fabric pots are "that" porous but it looks like that is the case...it's like trying to fill up a glass of water with no sides or bottom

Comment

• Paracelsus
            Paracelsus commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s not rocket science, Literally tens of thousands of Smart pots are being used every day. If you follow my suggestion or one of the other suggestions to water your plant either slowly or with a spray or sprinkler you should have no problem, unless your soil is too compact and unable to absorb water. Many people let their smart pot sit in the run off and wick up tithe moisture.

Spray instead of pour, this creates gravitationl force which slowly moves the water through the soil rather than overflowing outwards. You need a good spray system otherwise it will take forever.
          Written Articles:
          Light Metric Systems
          Using Light Efficiently
          The Light Cycle Debate
          Environment Conditions
          Grow Light Technologies
          How To Compare Grow Lights
          To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
          Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
          Facebook
          Twitter
          Instagram

Comment

I use 2gal smart pots (I probably should go up a size but can't due to grow space constraints) and recently got a couple handheld pump sprayers. Bit of a pain to use in my tiny tent, but I don't get water running out the sides anymore and overall it's easier (water doesn't pool in any one spot/compact the soil too much).
            ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

If slow or no bottom drangage soil is packed to tite and must b loosened I use a chopstick and carfuly plunge top to bottom around plants try this before u give up on smartpots it helps. Lol

Comment

You can always try to use the soil to make a slight funnel sharp directing the water towards the stem or make a little burm around the outside to help focus the water in the middle and it will wick out towards the fabric! That’s my 2 buds anyway.

all trial and error just watch the fan leaves to see if she’s thirsty up good down thirsty!

Good luck!

Comment

I'm starting to get better at watering with the fabric pots, it looks like i didn't fill the pots enough, so i added a bit more soil which helped the water from running out the sides. I have to water more often than a plastic pot, instead of every 2-3 days, i'm watering every day. I purchased some blumats and hopefully this will keep things perfectly moist.

Comment

I use 5 gallon fabric pots. It takes 7 cups of water to water completely with no runoff. I used Kind Soil on my last grow so you don't water to runoff. I bought two flat plastic serving trays at the Dollar Store to put under my pots. Water does come out through the sides of the pots and is caught on the plastic trays then absorbed through the bottom.
                    Right now my plants are not big enough to keep the soil totally watered so I just water around the base of the plants with 2 1/2 cups of water when I stick my finger in the dirt and don't feel moisture. That's how I gauge if they need water. Once the plants reach the right size I will water with 7 cups (I use a measuring cup so I know) to make sure all the roots are getting water.
                    The longer you use the pots the more comfortable you will be when you water. Some people put the pots on a rack for drainage, but I put the pots right on the plastic trays and have had no issues.
                    Good luck.
                    Current grow:
                    2-300w led lights
                    1- 60w cfl for germination
                    2- 5 gal fiber pots
                    Kind Soil 5lbs per 5 gal pot
                    Compost (80%)/perlite (20%)
                    Seeds:
                    Shaolin Master auto/fem Harvested
                    Kush auto/fem (planted 5/13/18) Harvested
                    Sweet Soma auto/fem ready to go into her home soon (kind soil)
                    Northern Lights auto/fem, put in soil today, waiting for forever home soon.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X