4th grow starting want input, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th grow starting want input, please.

I have finally harvested my last crop, it took several trimmings until all the buds were mature but I got there! Now that those buds are drying, I'm germinating my two new seeds for this next grow. But I do have questions.
    1) Fiber pot users, how clean do you get your pots before re-use? Mine seem to have roots hung in the bottom of the pot and I can't get them out! I've washed and scrubbed and cleaned and still have a small root or three, is this going to bother my next grow?
    2) I'm germinating my seeds, after soaking overnight, in plastic cups. I have a 60w cfl light on about a foot + above the cups. How long per day do I leave the light on? 24/7? 12 hours a day? Just curious what everyone else does. I've germinated each of my last 3 grows a different way.
    3) I couldn't afford more Kind Soil for this grow, and couldn't get any Green Fields that Old Jar Head suggested. The closest place to get it was Nashville, and we won't be going back there til April, and some place in AL 2 hours away. I found something called Magic Dirt, has no nutrients in it, and something else that's 100% organic. I heard that Amazon, Home Depot and Walmart are selling cannabis friendly, Kind Soil type medium, called So-Hum, but it's online only and to have it shipped costs a ton! So I might have to go back to the way it was before Kind Soil....I hate it because I liked the ease of Kind Soil. And didn't like using nutrients.

I want to have as good a grow as I did this last time. And the seeds are new to me. But, I'm off to the races again! Wish me luck!! I didn't weigh what I trimmed because it was wet and had a ton of stems, so I'll wait til it's dry and weigh it up. I know it was a lot and I'm very pleased with the Sweet Soma, and hope that once the Diesel Kush gets cured I'll like it too.

Current grow:
    2-300w led lights
    1- 60w cfl for germination
    2- 5 gal fiber pots
    Magic Dirt on bottom of one pot, 100% organic with worm castings in the bottom of second pot
    Compost (80%)/perlite (20%)
    Seeds:
    Shaolin Master auto/fem
    Bubbly Chem auto/fem
    Current grow:
    2-300w led lights
    2- 5 gal fiber pots
    Kind Soil 5lbs per 5 gal pot
    Seeds:
    Shaolin Master auto/fem Harvested
    Kush auto/fem (planted 5/13/18) Harvested
    Sweet Soma auto/fem ready to go into her home soon (kind soil)
    Northern Lights auto/fem, put in soil today, waiting for forever home soon.

Good luck with your new grow! For germination, I have tried a few things and when I didn't get one of my new seeds to germinate, I tried again following the breeder recommended procedure and this worked great for the second seed. I believe you want to have your seed in water in complete darkness. Have a look at this link: https://2fast4buds.com/news/germinationguide

Comment

Hi Bluecanoe!

I just started a new batch of autos. Kept an eye on them closely with thermometers, soaking overnight, just like you, seems to be the best -haven't tried the propagation tray yet-. Thing is i kept it over the heater, somehow it didn't grow, the soil was not hot enough (even though water was evaporating over the course of hours, in the tray, not in the pots which were cold & damp). So after 24 hours and still cold pots, i kept them in the sun. Suddenly they start drying up, sprouting. It's just my second grow, I wanted to input this little thing about bottom heat that wasn't doing the trick.
      (Yes you use your lamps to heat them up. It's also to say that it doesn't matter how many hours they get in the beginning, it should just be warm and humid for the seed to develop properly. You could keep it on for 24 the first few days, then slowly reduce to 18 or whatever is your schedule. Since they are autos actually you could keep them on 20 hours a day for their whole life.)

Also, I use special seed soil (sowing soil?), it's very airy. Very hard to get it to swallow water, it mostly sit on top as a fat layer if you see what i mean. I use a spray to wet the first layer, and then you can slowly pour water. It has no nutrients in it as well, or very little.
      With this I use some biodegradable cardboard pots for seeds... Once they are sprouting nicely I directly plant the cardboard -in the ground last year- in a pot this year.
      I have a garden, so I make my own compost, super soil whatever you call it.
      Good luck on that grow!
      Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

gdog, it's already too late to do it the way your link says. The seeds stayed in water for 24 hours, on the kitchen counter so they only went dark when the house did, then went into the soil. So much for that. I've had pretty good experience with germination, only lost two seeds out of the last 3 grows.

Minoo, thanks for the input. I am in no hurry for the germination to take place, it'll happen when it happens. I only germinate 2 seeds each grow, it's all I need and I want a perpetual grow and I like a variety so I grow two different strains each time. I use a sprayer while the plant is still small, once I replant it, I water around it and never water to run off, but since I'm not using kind soil I might start.
        I keep my lights on 24 hours during the entire grow, and would put my seeds in the sun, but I don't have a south or west facing window with a sill or ledge that I can just put the cups on to get the real thing. I'm a gardener myself, don't make my own compost yet, although I've been thinking about it. I believe that if you can grow tomatoes or peppers or flowers then you can grow cannabis. And I've done better with each grow, easier grows and more yield.
        Current grow:
        2-300w led lights
        2- 5 gal fiber pots
        Seeds:

Comment

• Minoo96
          Minoo96 commented
          Editing a comment
          I suppose you have things well in hands then! Your first message sounded hesitant, but surely you've seen that every grow teaches new tricks, even to those more experienced than us
          Marijuana is quite easy(=forgiving) to grow in the end...
          I like your idea of trying new strains every couple of seed. If I had the cash for, I'd also do that... It'll let you know which strain you like better so that finally, in the end, you will only grow your favorite strain of them all. A bit like Lord of the Rings but MJ version.

I wish u a lots of luck with your new grow,🍀 and I guess u made out ok with the electrician?
        I would recommend mixing perlite in your soil ( 20% ) or even more it helps getting 02 to the roots
        and can b found at the depot cheep. It also lets water drain thru not turning the soil into mud ! Lol
        Last edited by Potted; 03-25-2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• bluecanoe
          bluecanoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Potted, yes, I use at least 20% perlite. They are done on the inside of the house, and yep, I got by! They only had to go into that room except once but I kept the door open so nobody would think anything. My brother-in-law and sister came over the other day and they both said they didn't smell anything. And they would have! I think it's because it keep the tent open most of the day during the grow and the smell is just the smell of my house with some incense, and a squirt or two of peppermint spray.
          Now we are past the smell for now I have the drying buds inside the tent with a small fan for circulation and when the inspector comes, I'll put up the blanket and picture in front of the tent and voila, it will disappear long enough to let him see the dehumidifier.
          Thanks for the reminder of the perlite. I hope you've dug out from all the Nor'Easters and that spring comes soon for you.

Hey bluecanoe
        As far as the fabric pots go, I have heard that putting them in the dishwasher works. No detergent on a regular wash cycle. Have not actually tried this, but I am planning to soon. I also think boiling them would work for the same reason.
        Regarding CFL use during germination. If the purpose is heat, then probably 24/0 is best. Cannabis seeds require neither light nor darkness to germinate, but/therefore lights can be used for warmth

Comment

• UrbZ
          UrbZ commented
          Editing a comment
          Or buy a turbojet attachment for your hose... I think thats what its called. Its 20 bucks it turns a normal hose into a jet nozzle.

• bluecanoe
          bluecanoe commented
          Editing a comment
          UrbZ, we have one of those jet nozzles, my husband insists on having one, but my luck the damn thing would end up down the street! I do have a hard spray on my shower head, might use that once I get the rest of the dirt out of the second bag, it will at least keep the bag contained in the tub. I'm a few weeks out from needing them so surely they'll be dry by then!

• Locrian99
          Locrian99 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ooh I like the pressure washer idea I didn’t think of that!

I turn them inside out and spray with a hose take off all the roots I can see and hang on the clothes line I’ve left some hanging for a month. Can b used any time after thay dry tho with out any problems. Lol

Comment

I have two tiny little sprouts today! So now to get off my thumb and finish cleaning the fiber pots and mixing my soil. We are awaiting strong storms and lots of rain so I won't be sitting outside doing anything. The contractors will be back Friday, so I won't be mixing any soil in front of them. Looks like the weekend will be spent cleaning pots and mixing soil. Oh how hard we work! HAHAHAHA! I can't wait to see what my new plants have in store for me.
          Current grow:
          2-300w led lights
          2- 5 gal fiber pots
          Seeds:

Comment

My tiny little shoots grew 2 inches overnight and have a second set of leaves on them already! I was shocked. So I went ahead and cleaned my fiber pots, got the roots off the bottom with a stiff bristled brush, put in the bottom soil, kept each bag labeled so I'll know which one is the best to use, then mixed my compost and perlite. It was a fiasco. The compost is still wet, I thought it would be dry by now since it's been sitting in my shed for months. I got it mixed up with the perlite, and as I was going to sit back down I missed my seat and landed on my ass in the shed! I'm not a small person and have a lot of physical issues that make it hard for me to get up. My dear husband offered me his hand but, I refused and managed to get up by myself. I looked like a pig that had rolled in mud! But, the pots are filled and ready to receive the seedlings once they are big enough. I don't want them getting spindly and falling over so I might put them in their forever home tomorrow, if I can move. And since the compost is already wet it might be a good thing.
            I fleeced the last stems of my last grow and got .38 oz from the Sweet Soma, and .98 oz from the Diesel Kush. I'm happy as a lark with the results. I have plenty to last until my next harvest I think, even with giving some to others.
            I hope I can move tomorrow! I'm already feeling the soreness from landing on a concrete floor. Oh well, the price we pay for great smoke.
            I've been making some stem tea. I let the stems soak overnight in a saucepan, then this afternoon I added about 2 tbs butter, and started them on medium. They are still in there at a low simmer. I figure if I let the goodness cook out of them, the better and more effective the tea will be. I'll keep experimenting until I find a way to get the best stem tea possible.
            Current grow:
            2-300w led lights
            2- 5 gal fiber pots
            Seeds:

Comment

• Minoo96
              Minoo96 commented
              Editing a comment
              The concept is more about vaping rather than smoking. Smoking = burning, vaping is heating (You already know that i'm sure, just saying). That's supposedly better, but we lack enough research in my opinion to make sure it's fine for health.

But you could use the glycerin to make gummy bears, add sugar in your drink, even swallow directly as a sublingual drops. And smoke something once a day, thus reducing considerably the amount of smoke ingested everyday. That's what I'm aiming for.

• bluecanoe
              bluecanoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Minoo, cannabis is used to treat asthma and lung cancer and shows less damage and even a healing of the lungs all the way around than cigs, even smoking it. If I was going to get a nicotine fix, I'd light up a cigarette instead of using an e-cig.

• Minoo96
              Minoo96 commented
              Editing a comment
              You're not obliged to add nicotine to your mix. I vape 100% cana-VG, sure not 100% because i add flavor, but you're not obliged to add that either. I totally agree with you though, nicotine is not the goal.

I transplanted my seedlings yesterday. They were only to the third set of leaves but the stems were spindly and I was afraid that they would fall over and I would be devastated. Not that don't have anymore seeds, but that they wouldn't be strong enough to hold themselves up. They look so tiny in the 5 gallon pots, but they'll be okay. Didn't have much of a root system, but otherwise healthy. I'm hoping that now they are in their forever home, they can grow and be happy for two months and I can try two more different strains. They are growing at the same rate, which seems different to me, I always seem to have a plant that shoots to the moon and one that takes its time. I didn't use Kind Soil this time, couldn't afford it, and so I am trying two different soils in the bottom of the pots, one called Magic dirt, and the other is 100% natural organic soil with worm castings. We'll see if I have to use nutrients, if so I'll just use an organic vegetable nutrient with the proper NPK ratios. I loved using Kind Soil, got a great yield, but even with the discount they gave me the shipping was outta sight.
            That's all for now. Just lights on for 24/0 until harvest, or until the construction is done and the inspector comes to check out the repairs, and then the lights will be out for just a couple of hours. Didn't hurt the last ones, shouldn't hurt these.
            Ta-ta for now! Happy growing!
            Current grow:
            2-300w led lights
            2- 5 gal fiber pots
            Seeds:

Comment

It's all just a bunch of black and white - where's the colorful pictures?
              ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
              Mars Hydro
              Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• bluecanoe
                bluecanoe commented
                Editing a comment
                my camera has a mind of its own so sometimes it takes so-so pics and other times it takes OH-NO! pics.

I've been plugging along, just watching the girls grow and while the Shaolin Master is covered in pistils, from top to bottom, the Chem Bubbly isn't. There are two that I can see toward the bottom and they are minute.
              The entire plant feels strange, more of a fuzzy, woody type of plant than the other one. I'm afraid I am going to have a lousy yield if the CB doesn't produce pistils and flower. I've had this happen before, my first grow. It was a drag. All of my seeds came from Seedsman but I'm not sure of the breeder.
              The plants are the same age, germinated and planted at the same time, they sprouted within a day of each other and have been in their forever home for about 4 weeks. I'm not sure about the Chem Bubbly, because it was a freebie, but it's supposed to be an auto/fem.
              Today I germinated another seed just in case. It's Afghan Mass auto/fem. I'm going to have that one plant in the wings just in case the other one doesn't cut the mustard because I don't want to run short. I need to learn to be less generous with my yield, imho it grows on trees so why not share? I can do without for a week or three if I have to, just for a system cleanse to really feel the new stuff.
              I managed to get through 7 weeks (it was a 3 week job) of construction and today was the inspection, it failed miserably, so more stuff has to be done on my house so it'll pass inspection. And the girls have started to stink....no reason for them to go into that room though and I got away with it before so piece of cake right?
              Spring is here in Dixie, upper 80's this week and beautiful. I'm glad.
              Hopes that everyone's grow is lush and perfect!

Current grow:
              2-300w led lights
              2- 5 gal fiber pots
              Seeds:

Comment

I didn't know anything about the Chem Bubbly that is so far behind the Shaolin Master, so I looked it up. From what I can find, I was expecting too much too fast from her. She is an 11-12 week to flower plant and she's only about 5 weeks old, maybe 6. I'd have to check my stuff that I can't find because I think I threw it away! Oh well, I know when I transplanted the girls into their forever pots, and they were a tad over a week old when I transplanted them.
                So, I'm going to keep her in the dirt until she just croaks on me or grows flowers. C'est la vie!
                Current grow:
                2-300w led lights
                2- 5 gal fiber pots
                Seeds:

Comment

I pinched off all the weirded out fan leaves and lo and behold where I pinched those leaves, there's all sorts of new growth and I may have imagined it, but there were some pistils! I don't know what all the weird fan leaves were about, but I'm glad to see something positive.
                  The seed I was germinating has started to sprout so tomorrow I start a third plant. Guess we can't have too many huh?
                  Current grow:
                  2-300w led lights
                  2- 5 gal fiber pots
                  Seeds:

Comment

Have you thought about looking into super soil from your local nursery . The nursery by me well it . I am not using soil but I know a few people who buy it and love the results .
                    DWC hydroponics 2.5 gal veg 5 gal bloom / GH flora trio + calimagic, florablend, Koolbloom, rapid start , hydroguard , armor si, diamond nectar, floralicous plus / 600w hps / 48x48x80 grow tent x2 / white widow / special kush #1 / 24/0 12/12. Hopes prayers and a tiny bit of luck.

Comment

• bluecanoe
                      bluecanoe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dankwing,
                      I used Kind Soil for my last grow, and loved it. But I couldn't afford it for this grow. We don't have a local nursery where I live. I'm in the boondocks and lucky to have a WalMart or Home Depot within 30 miles. I found something called Magic Dirt at WalMart and it seems to be okay with the other plant. I used a different soil for the plant that's acting weird.to see which one was best. Both were organic and all natural with no fertilizers and had worm castings. I don't think it's a soil issue, I think it's just that plant. I've never seen anything like it. WalMart and Home Depot are carrying a dirt specifically for cannabis but it's online and shipping is outrageous. That's why I couldn't afford Kind Soil, even with the $10 discount they gave me...$36 for soil and $50 for shipping is too rich for me. I'm going to start making my own soil, I know it can take about a year, but what have I got but time??
                      The plant is acting right now that I pulled the huge funky fan leaves off it. I don't understand it and have two more seeds of the same strain. But next time I will know from experience how it's going to act.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X